• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Hatchling

richm2778

This is a pic of my first ever hatched snake egg. The parents are Leucistic Texas Rat Snakes. This guy is a precocious little sucker. He is so far the only to have pipped, and he was fully out this morning. Temperament wise, he is a lot like his father. He moves around a lot. He is already rattling his tail at me. Some thanks, huh? The head is hard to see in the pic because he moves so much. His color is right on as it is in person though. He has a pinkish and lavender hue to him. Just out of curiousity, one other egg has a slit, and the snake is visible, but has not moved in a full day. I do not mean it is staying in the egg, I mean it appears to be dead. Is it alright to open that egg to see what is up? I mean, if it is not dead, once I open it, what do I do? Just leave him in there?
get-attachmentaspx-4.jpg

Congrats Rich!!!!! ya made it, Day # 66 with no change here, keep us updated and post a few more pics of the other pips later!!

Still waiting on more pips. Still no movement on the org egg that's slit open. It's been 24 hours without movement now. Any suggestions?

I think the rule of thumb is, if it can't make it out by itself, it probably isn't going to survive even if you save it, although there are exceptions. Is there a way you can pick the egg up and see if you feel movement? Or peek in through a slit?

OK. I checked the egg out, and there was no movement. Also, the egg fluid that was seeping out of the slit was foul smelling and discolored. Curiosity got the better of me, and I opened the egg up to see what had happened. In the egg, was a fully formed snake. It seems that it regurgitated some of it's stomach and it seems to have drowned or suffocated as a result. I still have no pips on the remaining 3 good eggs or the remaining moldy egg either. I am planning to wait another day or so before I panic because I have been told that the eggs usually pip within 48 hours of each other. Is this correct information, or should I just wait longer as long as the eggs still look good and healthy? I appreciate any insight on this because I have obviously not done this before.

I would leave them alone and not touch them or bother them at all. They will either hatch or go bad on their own.

Alrighty... So it has been a day. This little guy is as cute as a button. If it were up to me, I would keep every snake that hatches, but alas, it is not to be. I have him in his tupperware and he seems happy. A little flighty and snippy, but happy. I will feed him in a few days and then bring him to the reptile store. I hope the other eggs hatch. 3 good and one moldy, but not a pip to be seen.....

Here we are on day 68... Still no more pipping. The one that hatched is doing really well. He is a funny little guy. Anyway, I am hopeful that the remaining eggs will pip today or tomorrow. They still look fine, but there is not any action yet. I hope all goes well....

Day 69, and no more pipping. The eggs still look good, but there is no sign of any activity at all. I am wondering if they are all dead inside the eggs.

no way to tell. If you wait....they could hatch. If you cut....and they aren't ready to hatch, you chance killing a viable hatchling. Just leave them alone....I know it's hard!

I gotcha. I will eave them alone. My question is, is there a cutoff point? If they eggs look good but have not hatched at 90 days, then what? 100 days? You see what I mean? I am wondering if there is a finite point of no return, persay.

Congrats!! Please keep me posted! I am debating cutting the eggs that I have left. Tomorrow is day 70. They are rat snake egs though so the norm is 60 to 70 days. The thing that throws me is that the one fully hatched a few days ago already. Shouldn't they pip around the same time?

sometimes when using incubators, such as the hovabator the eggs that are closer to the heat sourse ( element) have been known to hatch out a few days earlier than those futherest from the heat element. this happens typically to clutches that are laid in a clump. I would be a bit more patient.
But it is your call to make. i have always been afraid that the egg I cut will have the best hachling in the clutch and it's death would be a result of my action. Remember, in nature no one is there to cut their eggs... and in nature, only the strongest survive and thrive!

Back