• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First sign of spring!

snakemom1961

Spring is here!
I was walking my dog last night and heard my true first sign of spring up here in michigan. Tree frogs singing!!! I was so excited by it, it got me wondering what others on here think of for the first sign of spring where they live.
I don't consider seeing robins as a sign of spring since I've seen them at the first of the year around here before.

A wild turkey just landed in my yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I consider robins headed up north the first sign of spring.

Robins and spring peepers! I also know that winter will be ending soon when I hear the horned owls around my house start hooting at dusk and dawn. In the middle of winter when there's snow everywhere, its their mating season. That's such a great sound! We live in owl heaven.

Devon

I haven't heard my green tree frogs yet, although I've heard the leopard frog and maybe the bullfrog, and for sure the cricket frogs. I like hearing the mockingbirds singing at night.

Hearing any of the frogs is a sign of spring around here and also hearing the birds singing in the morning. This is the first year that I TRULY have been ready for spring. It's been a very long winter and can't wait to get out in the woods and take good walks with Jett again. I think he's ready for it also!

well, I still have 2 feet of snow out in the woods but the snow is only about a foot deep in my yard with spots starting to show ground, in two to three weeks it should all be gone.

To me it's the plants - when the deciduous stuff comes out of dormant stage, the plum and cherry trees start flowering, and the perennials like hydrangea/hosta start showing new buds. Oh and the hundreds of daffodils and grape hyacinth everywhere.

Oh ....... I have seen some ants!! Mind you they are only the scouts but yes...it's the signs of spring forsure!!

Well i got a couple signs that I'd consider signs of spring.
One being the smell of road killed skunks.
And the second being skirts :)

It fricken snowed today! Not enough to cover anything, but geez! I tell ya what, it could be 80 degrees halfway through March then snow 2 weeks later in April. We have a saying here, "Michigan. If you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change."

I just saw another sign of spring. Two robins tumbling about in my weedy garden. They were either fighting or the other word that starts with an "f"!:eek:

Devon

It fricken snowed today! Not enough to cover anything, but geez! I tell ya what, it could be 80 degrees halfway through March then snow 2 weeks later in April. We have a saying here, "Michigan. If you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change."

I know that saying well. Take this morning for instance. I went to the dentist at 8 and it was 56 degrees. Got out at 9 and it was down to 43 degrees and talk of snow mixed with rain tonight. Gotta love Michigan weather.

It is the itchy gunky eyes and all the sneezing that let me know another spring is here. I want to be where it's still winter.

Haha so true.

Frogs sing?!?
Who knew?

I've got ants and the dead skunks.
I haven't seen deer in the yard for a week or so.

There is plenty of snow here, still.

Oh- daffodils have bloomed. None of my crocuses, but all the daffodils are up in my neighbor's yards.

Back