• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Following the Munson Plan w/o a scale?

Once they weigh 5 lbs, can't you just stand on a bathroom scale and weigh them? My BR scale is digital and weighs by the half lb.

Whoa! You've got to be kidding! A 5 pound corn snake? That corn snake would have to weigh 2,267.96185 grams. I don't think they can get that heavy.... except for - perhaps - the "obese" one that is now on a strict diet and is exercising more. LOL.

As far as I know (cause I haven't bred my corns yet), a corn should weigh at least 300 grams before being bred... So a 2,000 gram corn would be a MONSTER.

LOL!
Fred

LOL! That would be quite a beast of a corn, but I assumed he was referring to other types of snakes that may be weighed on his scale. Look at some of guru's and trixter's snakes. No way could you put those beasts on a little kitchen scale. ;)

Well I'm going to be the odd one out, but I don't think a scale is that important. I have one, and only use it for measuring females during breeding season. And even then, I don't use it that much. I use it more as a "I'm pretty sure she's gaining weight back, I'll double check with my scale" sort of thing.

For feeding, there's really no need for one to be honest. Just feed your snake something that is 1.5x's wider than the largest part of its body. Feed that size until you can no longer see a lump and move up in prey size. Keep doing this and then stop once you hit jumbo mice. Even if I can't see a lump, jumbo mice are as big of an item as the get. This is so much easier than messing around with weights and works great. For feeding frequency and what not, by all means turn to the Munson Plan.

But obsessing over prey weights vs. your snakes' weight is pretty pointless IMO.

Now that being said, owning a scale isn't a bad thing and I'm glad I have mine. But for just feeding, its not needed.

But obsessing over prey weights vs. your snakes' weight is pretty pointless IMO.

But what if it's not you that is obsessing?

1Kmarksharp.jpg

Really though, I just like to know. At this point my snake just eats big mice and grows. And you're right Matthew, I could tell when she was getting too round just by sight.

My scale weighs up to 5kg (11 pounds). Almost caught mine taking a peek too Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0187_Small.JPG
    IMG_0187_Small.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 29
Really though, I just like to know. At this point my snake just eats big mice and grows. And you're right Matthew, I could tell when she was getting too round just by sight.

Great pic!! But yeah, it can be handy. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they're pointless, just saying that for worrying about prey size, they're not really necessary.

I got a nice USB scale from Radio Shack for about $8. measures down to 1 gram. Sure it has to be plugged into a computer, but it works and was cheap.

Back