• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

FREAK accident!!!

Snakehead

Bite Me! It's ok
I placed a young corn in a delicup with a pinky overnight and today I found this!

P1040995.jpg

I managed to free the little guy after wetting his tongue and working it loose. This is how he looks now. His tongue looks dried out and I suspect he will end up loosing it. Has anyone ever seen this before?

P1050003.jpg

P1050004.jpg

I think I have seen that once. I _think_ the snake was fine, without the tongue. Man, that's horrible. It might have been Jay, of Jay and PJ that had that happen, but I am not sure.

I think I have seen that once. I _think_ the snake was fine, without the tongue. Man, that's horrible. It might have been Jay, of Jay and PJ that had that happen, but I am not sure.

I posted this on KS and someone else said they had the same thing happen to them just this week! I had many good comments. The overwhelming thought is that the hole had some burr or sliver which the tongue was snagged on. I looked closely at the deli cup and didn't see anything there, but I am thinking about taking a thin tipped soldering iron and taking the edge off of all my deli cups! I normally use paper bags to feed my snakes, except when they are problem feeders and I have to either lizard scent or split brain a pinky. That was the case with this one. I lizard scented it. After looking at the close up pictures the snake looks like it is either going to shed or it is having some other problems with his face. This snake was one of my problem feeders and if I can ever get him to eat again I think he'll be fine. But will he eat now? That is the question.

Wow!! that is a freak accident!!

I would of never thought that a tongue could dry out like that!!

Sorry to hear that it happen.

so what happends now? he will obviously lose the tongue correct? Geez imagine the pain the poor guy is in. sorry this happened to your little fella

I believe it was Jeff Mohr that this exact thing happened to. His snake stopped eating and died. I hope the results are better for you!

Wow!! that is a freak accident!!

I would of never thought that a tongue could dry out like that!!

Sorry to hear that it happen.

so what happends now? he will obviously lose the tongue correct? Geez imagine the pain the poor guy is in. sorry this happened to your little fella

I believe it was Jeff Mohr that this exact thing happened to. His snake stopped eating and died. I hope the results are better for you!

Thats terrible :( I hope he does ok.

Thanks for the concern guys! To be honest with you, I don't have high hopes for this guy. Especially since he was a problem feeder up to this point. In fact he had just started eating lizard scented pinks, so without a tongue I don't think he'll be able to smell the scent. The stress may be too much for him to handle. I wanted to share this so maybe it won't happen to those who read this. At the very least we should check the holes for burrs and sharp points. I have looked at a few and I did find some. I can't find the exact cup it happened in but my initial examination was that it looked ok? I will probably burn the holes with a soldering iron. I just don't want to make the hole too big, and have a different problem, where the snakes try to push their face thru the holes.

You're right, and you're right. Well, maybe this one will do better. Hopefully.

that is terrible! poor little guy! i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

it's good that you're going to have a closer look at the holes. a soldering iron is definitely the way to go!

wow. Just wow. I don't have air holes in my feed tubs. They just aren't in there long enough to need them . . .mind I only feed in a tiny deli cup if I have to, usually use a shoe box sized tub. Wow. That poor snake :(

Contact a local reptile vet in your area and take the poor guy in; might run you around $60 or so, but if you can save his life (if eating becomes an issue), I'd do it.

From one of a few internet articles, take them for what they're worth...but...perhaps...

Can the human tongue regenerate?
A snake can regenerate its tongue, but a human can't. Individual taste buds can regenerate though, in response to a bad burn, for example.

this is terrible thing to happen to any snake, let alone a problem feeder. i do hope that he ends up fine.

are snake tongues really that long or has he been pulling it and stretched it?

once again i do hope that he turns out ok

Contact a local reptile vet in your area and take the poor guy in; might run you around $60 or so, but if you can save his life (if eating becomes an issue), I'd do it.

Well, I don't think there's much a Vet can do really. The injury is not life threatening at all. Unless it gets infected of course. The real issue is will the snake eat? The Vet can't really help with that. I can force feed the thing for the rest of his life if need be, but the stress of doing that could kill him. I don't think it can regenerate but I'm sure it can live without it, if he eats.

this is terrible thing to happen to any snake, let alone a problem feeder. i do hope that he ends up fine.

are snake tongues really that long or has he been pulling it and stretched it?

once again i do hope that he turns out ok

Their tongues are pretty long, but it definately was being stretched in that first picture. I happened to have the camera there and ready cause I was taking pics of other snakes at that time. If not I wouldn't have left him like that to run and get the camera in case anyone was wondering. What compounded the problem is that he was left overnight in the cup. That's why it dried out so bad. If I had caught it sooner it would not have been so serious.

I'm not to familiar with deli cups as I am new to this but, is there deli cups that just have holes in the lide and not the sides? maybe those would be more safe.

Back