• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Garter shed?

doortech9

Access Systems Technician
So i was out at the farm, and while i was cutting grass i went to move a spare tire and i found this tiny shed. The only snakes i have ever seen in my area have been garters, so i would guess thats what this is. Cute lil guy. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to share them :)

100_2989.jpg

100_2993.jpg

100_2988.jpg

I really doubt that it is anything else, I owned a Garter for almost 6 years, and each shed looked like that one. (long, slightly darker on the top of the snake, and each scale is about the size of the eye.) But if anyone has some more information, go for it.

I don't know if it's possible to positively identify a snake from a shed without any discernible and distinct features. I don't see any sort of pattern in the pictures.

Was it striped? Was it checkered? Are there saddles present? What kind of markings are readily apparent on the shed skin?

To be perfectly honest...that shed skin in the pictures looks identical to my Mexican Black king sheds when she was a hatchling...dark on the top, lighter underneath. It also looks like an anery cornsnake. Since I don't see any sort of recognizeable pattern...it could be just about anything. And given the time of year, there are all kinds of babies coming out and shedding so it really could be anything...

Yea a mexican black king is possible in mexico not canada. Its a garter they are common in canada. Mexican Black kings not so much in fact not at all

Yea a mexican black king is possible in mexico not canada. Its a garter they are common in canada. Mexican Black kings not so much in fact not at all

It's a little known fact that there is a small population of MBKs left in Saskatchewan. They are a relict of the great MBK migration from Siberia to Mexico (they took the long way) when the land and ice bridge still spanned the Bering Strait.

(Pssst. You have too many lines in your sig. 4 max. Blanks count.)

Okay buddy. But really mexican black kings are a joke in canda

Thanks for the info, buddy! I own three of them, but the subspecies' geographic distribution has always been a mystery to me. And I paid big bucks for them! I was assured that they were Saskatoon locality! I guess I'll have to stop calling mine "CBKs."

The moderator. I have noticed alot of mods do things then there lower do it and they yell at them. Makes me laugh

For some reason i love how this thread went so terribly off topic, and made me laugh out loud. ;)

Certain mods do belive they are gods internet gods but I called a mod onc and he wasnt so tough

Back