• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ghost Lavenders; painful for dial-up users.

whoops, I thought that was clints

snakepimp said:
That's what I was hoping to hear Mike.
Given how dark corns start out in general I wonder what those hypo lavs of Clint's would have looked like at less than 2 weeks old. (the age of the snake in my last pic)
I am excited to see how she turns out as well. I guess I will have to breed her back to daddy to get more, since I didn't produce a male.
I'd love to hear others chime in on what they think about this snake, I want to feel fairly certain about what it is. (although I do) I would like some community support. I had ads on that "other" site until Clint made me second guess myself, and then I deleted them, I don't want to falsely advertise that it's a Ghost Lavender, if it is not.
I wonder if Rich Z or anybody else has produced these? (Joe P.? Don S.?)

Sorry Jeremy, I thought Clint has posted the photo. Thats a real nice looking snake. Again, what I would envision a ghost lav to look like. Thanks

Considering the gene mix, I would say it is possible I have produced probably several of the Ghost Lavenders, but with the tremendous amount of variation just in the Lavenders and Hypo Lavenders, I would be real reluctant to make any claim along that line. Throwing 'A' Anerythrism into the mix will produce it's own wrinkles.

I have noticed that my Lavender that came from Anerythristic het Lavender parents are becoming quite different looking as adults from the typical looking Lavender, so evidently their being also homozygous for 'A' Anerythrism is creating a difference in their adult coloration.

It's pretty much at the point that in order to prove something, you need to do a long drawn out process of test breeding with "known" types and analyze the results. Unfortunately this will be a real boat anchor on marketing the newest cutting edge cultivars that are hoped for combinations of genetic types. Personally, I would choose to be real cautious about it. I'd rather be last and correct with a claim, then first and wrong.

The below is a photo of a clutch of Lavenders that were the result of breeding Lavenders that came from Anerythristics het Lavender. I assume that the Lavenders that are the parents of these babies are also homozygous for 'A' Anerythrism. So how many variations of Lavender can you spot just in this one clutch? And that is not even the entire clutch in that one photo. Are any of them Ghost Lavenders? What exactly do you call all of them? How many variations are there just of the Lavender gene?

lav_anery04_001.jpg

I really appreciate your advice, Rich, I am sure that you have produced some Ghost Lavenders without realizing it. I am advertising (on that other site) Anery double hets, and they certainly are able to produce them, but I think that your advice is probably wise, and I am probably jumping the gun.
I love that there is so much mystery in the lavender gene still. I myself am convinced that I have produced 2 Ghost Lavenders, but perhaps it would be best if I kept that to myself for now. I just get so dang excited! I will refrain until I can prove them out, I suppose. The only problem is that they are both female. grrrrrr.... :grin01:
:cheers:
I have an Anerythristic Lavender, which I have posted many times, and he has a distinctly lighter coloration than most "regular" lavenders I have seen. Unfortuantely, he experienced a nasty prolapse+infection, and poor stitch job this year (I can stitch better than that doctor :twoguns: ) and will probably never breed again. :cry:
I will try to contain myself, but I am still pretty sure that I have a couple. I guess I should post pics of the entire clutch together. I'll try to get some in the next couple of days.

wait a minute, it looks like there is an Opal/Snow/something in that clutch too!
I give up...
From now on all of my advertisements will read
Pretty snakes: $50 each

We all just have to take this with a big grain of salt and not get too wrapped up in thinking that the world will take much notice. We ALL are excited about what we are doing, but we need to realize that we are only seeing a very small tip of a VERY BIG iceberg, yet most of the world really won't care what we are doing.

Let's just have fun for fun's sake with all of this.

Oh, I hope I haven't been misconstrued, I am having a ball!
CHEERS!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :puke01:

snakepimp said:
wait a minute, it looks like there is an Opal/Snow/something in that clutch too!
I give up...
From now on all of my advertisements will read
Pretty snakes: $50 each

Yeah. We may have to fall back to extreme simplification in labelling the corn snakes and simply call them Corn Snake: Genetics undetermined. Or more simply labels with just a ? on it.

But at least this isn't as bad as the ball python scene. I look at photos of those "morphs" and I just shake my head. How finely CAN you split a hair?

I'd love to get my hands on some of those ball python "morphs". I could buy a house AND pay off my student loans all at once! :rolleyes: "look look! my snake has some irregular spotting! it must be a bumblebee/mojave/trundlefart ball! You buy it for $100,000." Ah well.

Okay, this is starting to change,
Here's one of the offspring I posted in the origin of this thread, this pic is a couple of months old already...He's turning out great.
6-20-05%20005.jpg

Still not sure what he is, beyond Anery+Lavender...he is possible Ghost Lavender.

Back