• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Halo Corn Snakes

Hi Sarah et al., I am curious how your test breedings of GB & Halo have gone the last couple years. I produced a clutch from a GB Snow female and a Halo Snow male last year, have kept a few of the babies myself, and have been trying to keep track of several that went to other breeders. However, as others have already pointed out here, it is tough waiting on the greens and yellows to develop. Any insights on inheritance of this possible mutation that you or others may have gleaned in the last couple years since this thread was active would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Neal! I continue to breed them as I have been, and the incomplete-dominance is still the reigning theory here with very little reason to question it. What things are you looking to know exactly?

I'm just curious in general if the phenotypic ratios of clutches others have hatched involving GB and Halo are consistently pointing towards an incomplete dominant mode of inheritance. I don't doubt the incomplete dominant theory based on my own results... just looking to bolster the case with more data hopefully.

I'm also curious about the apparent difference between GB/Halo that appear to have very bright, almost neon yellow/green colors, and those that have a more muted "Key-lime" shade of green. Do people seem to think this is just natural variation, or is it possible we are dealing with something more complex than originally thought?

Last edited:
I have noticed that variation. Some seem to be very YELLOW in the borders, while others are more of that translucent limey color. Both can happen in the same clutch, and either can come from either look of parent. I'm personally thinking it's just natural variation, but I have not done any more looking into it myself. The ones that are more "Limey" in my collection also usually appear more pink in the ground color despite not having a red-enhancing mutation in the lineage. Maybe there's something up with that? I hope to hold back a few from my "Limey" male (who is the nephew of a very yellow male) to breed & maybe find out more about that pink he's got.

I'm also curious about the apparent difference between GB/Halo that appear to have very bright, almost neon yellow/green colors, and those that have a more muted "Key-lime" shade of green. Do people seem to think this is just natural variation, or is it possible we are dealing with something more complex than originally thought?
That's a great question. I've noticed both of these shades occur in both sexes, which was something I initially wondered.

Back