• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Has anyone NOT had an escape?

One thing I noticed in holding corns is that that tail has a mind of it's own and is perfectly capable of plotting an escape when the head end is seeming perfectly calm. I saw a girl almost lose a snake at repticon because the tail was working it's way onto the table and making a break for it, and her hands were getting closer and closer together. Fortunately, another person grabbed the tail end before she ended up "holding" less than a foot of a 5 foot snake.

I've learned the hard way NOT to trust kids to close lids tightly-I think the main reason Pinkie managed to make it out a couple of times was that Allidraggy closed the velcro straps, but not quite tightly enough to keep him from wedging his head in and pushing the lid to the side. Wadjet has the front opening, Exoterra doors and it seems much easier for a child to get those closed. Luckily, Pinkie's escape took him a couple of feet into a closet, where he promptly fell asleep behind the Ponyville ferris wheel (Guess he was living up to his name....)

One thing I noticed in holding corns is that that tail has a mind of it's own and is perfectly capable of plotting an escape when the head end is seeming perfectly calm. I saw a girl almost lose a snake at repticon because the tail was working it's way onto the table and making a break for it, and her hands were getting closer and closer together. Fortunately, another person grabbed the tail end before she ended up "holding" less than a foot of a 5 foot snake.

I've learned the hard way NOT to trust kids to close lids tightly-I think the main reason Pinkie managed to make it out a couple of times was that Allidraggy closed the velcro straps, but not quite tightly enough to keep him from wedging his head in and pushing the lid to the side. Wadjet has the front opening, Exoterra doors and it seems much easier for a child to get those closed. Luckily, Pinkie's escape took him a couple of feet into a closet, where he promptly fell asleep behind the Ponyville ferris wheel (Guess he was living up to his name....)

This both makes me :roflmao: and :sidestep: all at once. Eeek.

Luckily, DS15 is not keen on reptiles at all. I've had a bearded dragon for 9 yrs. and he still won't touch him much less pick him up. Even though the snake cage is in DS's room (it's the warmest room in the house), I have absolutely ZERO worries about him ever attempting to handle him.

Congo has escaped a few times. My house is small, he is large, so always got him back...UNTIL one time last summer. I took him out to cruise around the lawn. I got distracted doing some chores and he got into a mole hole last August. :cry: Totally lost him until - early this year, my mechanic friend, working on my van, looks at the woodpile and says to me, "Is that your snake?" It was a rare late winter sunny day; he was sticking his head out of some wood debris. I ran over and grabbed him. He was thin, and had some scale rot - this is the Northwest, winter is cold and wet. He seemed glad to get warmed up, draped around my neck and shoulders and didn't move for quite some time.
The reptile guy I buy Congo's feed from told me, "he'll show up", even outdoors. Definitely, it can happen! :) Afterwards he said, "See, I told you!"
I am SUPER vigilant now. I take him out often, but he's never out of sight.
I treated his scale rot with Neosporin. He shed, and that's gone now.
I did hear that corns stay around close to home. So if you lose one, he/she could turn up. Adults, being larger, are easier to find again.
So glad he's back!!!

Back