• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat Mat

Amyshizzle

Hey guys,
I was wondering what kind of heat mat should I get for the UTH? Trying to figure out pricing and products and stuff.

ZooMed or ExoTerra Desert are both good. ExoTerra is very hard to remove, if it fails, but has nicer rubber "feet." I've had about an equal failure rate with both brands. One every few years. The only way you know is if you have a thermometer probe right on the mat.

I usually buy them on eBay if I have time. The price is a lot cheaper. Of course, if you have a local reptile shop and the price is competitive, then it's better to support the local shop.

I went to our local reptile shop today. It moved, so we found where it moved to...It down graded so much. Its a hole in the wall shop now, snakes and lizards are housed together, it smells terrible in there, crickets are running around everywhere (but thats kind of expected) it was just a shame to see such a great reptile shop go down so much. The original owner would have been pissed if he saw the state it was in. I will no be purchasing anything from that store. I know amazon usually has stuff for cheap and I know of a few other sites. I don't really use Ebay.

I need to find a place to get my F/T feeders though.

Try LLL Reptiles for your F/T feeders. Their price includes shipping on their F/T. You can find them at www.lllreptiles.com. They ship out of Oceanside. If you get your order in before Thursday night they will ship them out overnight on Tuesday and you'll have them on Wednesday.

Sorry about that! I knew better than to add the extra S! I order from these guys all of the time and they have never let me down.

I've visited their site a while ago when I was thinking of getting a snake about two or three years ago. I, however, couldn't get one back then. They seem reliable. I've seen a youtube video or two of them at reptile shows so I think I might buy from them but I will have to look at other sites for prices of their feeders.

They're the only ones I've ever used. I got tired of making runs all the time to Pet Smart to get a box of mice. If you buy them in bulk you can save a lot. I just ordered 50 Hoppers and saved around $28 versus buying a box of Arctic Mice at Pet Smart every six weeks for about $11 for just six mice. Pet Smart on-line also sells F/T in bulk but the LLL price was better. Shop around and good luck to ya.......

Thank you! Thats very helpful. I personally don't like buying any type of feeder from petsmart/co. I will buy online in bulk. I love to save money. lol

Most of what I purchase is done on-line either through LLL or Big Apple Herp. Shop around and I'm sure you'll find someone that will definitely save you money. Taking care of a corn (Or any reptile for that matter) requires spending some money but when you can find a deal where you can save money, especially on F/T, go for it. You will be amazed when you find something at Pet Smart or Petco and the price blows you away, especially when you can get it much cheaper on-line. A perfect example was a Zilla 1000 watt thermostat that I saw that was priced at $49.99 and I'd seen the same thermostat on-line for $26.99. Best of luck.......

I am going to get my tank from petsmart and aspen bedding but that might be all....or maybe I'll order the bedding idk... But I know the only place to get the tank I want is at petsmart. I will get my thermostat/hygrometer from walmart. But everything else probably some where online to save money (yeah there is shipping but you can get deals online). We'll see what happens. I know for sure Im buying my food online.

I've heard good things about Layne Labs, so I was thinking of getting my mice there. I know there's another thread about them on this site. One thing I like about them is that they sell mice in packages of 25 which I think would be good if you'll only have one snake. I priced a number of sites and they seem competitive.

I've heard good things about Layne Labs, so I was thinking of getting my mice there. I know there's another thread about them on this site. One thing I like about them is that they sell mice in packages of 25 which I think would be good if you'll only have one snake. I priced a number of sites and they seem competitive.

I've been buying feeders from a local pet store for $1.50 per pinkie or I can go to Petsmart and get a box of 10 for about $10 if I remember right.

I am looking online here and there for prices. I certainly don't need a box of 100, but if I get a box of 25 from Layne Labs, the shipping is nearly $30!! Is this standard? I haven't looked at very many other sites yet.

30 bucks for shipping? Well you have to remember they are shipping frozen, dead animals...with probably dry ice soo thats probably whats getting you with the price. In my opinion, it's worth the shipping price because the food will last a while since its in bulk and most likely good quality rather than petsmart who treats their animals like....poop....lol

I used to order 40 lbs of rat food online and shipping was 20 bucks because of how much it weighed. If the quality of the feeder animal and the customer service and all is great its worth the shipping cost. Unlike how petsmart is, customer service is crap and feeders aren't good. Just from what ive seen/experienced.

Well, the place I've been getting them is called Pet Warehouse and they are frozen and I'm sure ordered in bulk by them. They just grab one out for me when I ask for it and put it in a plastic baggie.

The ones at Petsmart are in a commercially labeled box in a freezer case. So again, ordered from somewhere. So, how they treat their animals really has no reflection on how good these feeder mice may or may not be.

I may go have a look at the box and see what the brand label is and do a little research.

Considering shipping costs, the box of 10 from them may be more affordable for me but I'll compare it to other online order sites.

The usual brand that Pet Smart sells is Arctic Mice here where I'm at. I bought pinkies from them (I think there were only six pinkies to a box which was a rip-off) when I first got my corn until I found out about LLL Reptiles. Since I discovered LLL I've quit buying F/T from Pet Smart unless I've slipped up and forgotten to order in time from LLL. Then it becomes a last resort. Since I'm in California it's quicker and more economical to order from LLL and they're good mice. Their smallest lots are 50 mice. My corn has never passed them up. I considered Rodent Pro at one time but when I saw what their shipping charge was I decided it wasn't worth it. Layne Labs is closer to me but their shipping charge turned me off too. You might check Big Apple Herp Supply also. They're at www.bigappleherp.com. They're out of NY and they do their own F/T. I don't recall what their shipping charge is though.

Hm, so looks like LLL is probably my best bet since I don't need 100s of pinkies. I only have one 2 month old snake!

Thanks for the options, I appreciate it!

LLL will still Fed-Ex them overnight to you anywhere in the U.S and shipping is included in the price. I get charged sales tax since I'm in California but I don't know if they'd charge you sales tax since you're in Missouri. Still the price is really good. They come well packaged and with plenty of cold packs. I'm glad of that because I live in a desert climate and the temp can get pretty high sometimes. I've ordered them year round and have never had any that have already thawed.

Back