• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help with some new rescues...

snakehobbyist

I got a call from a friend today telling me that someone came into her work (She is a manager at a large pet chain) and said that her daughter abandoned her snakes and needed them gone by today. Since I'm her only friend who loves snakes as much as she does, she gave me a call to see if I would take them.

The reason I did not place this in the husbandry section is that the rescues include a home-made Tupperware incubator with 3 eggs as well as 6 babies ranging from 2-3 days old. None had had their first shed according to the mother of the owner.

I'm going to pick up the breeding pair (it sounds like the father is an amel and the mother might be a stripe) and the babies this afternoon. I have some 6 qt tubs set up with wet paper towel, a water bowl, and a hide for the babies. The tubs are not locking lids. Do I need some binder clips to secure them? I can always run to the store and pick up some pencil boxes that snap shut.

I plan on waiting until the little ones shed before offering a day old pinky mouse. Any other helpful advise for caring for these little ones?

Yes I would pick up binder clips. Babies can escape out of the tiniest gap. Good luck with them I hope they do well for you.

i use the large glad disposable tupperware containers for babies. they're like 3 for 5 dollars and they close super tight

I went ahead and just picked up binder clips (before I read your post, Cody).

Do I need damp paper towels for their first sheds or just normal humidity. My corns shed fine with no extra effort on my part since I live in a humid environment. Most of my experience is with ball pythons and they need a much, much higher humidity level to shed.

Usually babies do just fine. You can use paper towels as the substrate but I don't think they need to be moist.

Well, I got the corns. The dad is HUGE and looks to be a normal in shed. The mom looks like she's a lavender stripe. However, I'm letting them settle and then I'll get pictures to confirm. There were 6 males and 6 females. One of the females has two minor kinks near the end of her tail past her vent. There are 3 eggs left to hatch. All have veins and embryos inside. The "incubator" is a tupperware tub with vermiculite and water with a hot rock (yes, a hot rock) burried in the vermiculite with the eggs around it. There is no thermostat.

The only incubator I have is for my ball pythons and it's too warm (about 90* in the incubator). I did not plug in the hot rock. I just have them at room temp which is about 77*. Will they hatch out fine? Is there something I can throw together in a pinch? I wish I had extra flexwatt laying around. I have a styrofoam cooler...just no heat tape.

I think 77 is on the cooler end but it should be fine. My eggs went between 77 -81 and they hatched fine. Just took a bit longer to go. Good for you taking in these guys!

I didn't think it would be too detrimental. The 6 babies that I have now are from the same clutch and the oldest hatched out about 3 days ago and a few more two days ago. I expect the rest to follow suit here shortly. I have a friend who's already going to take the kinked girl and give her a great pet home. Now to just get the babies shed and eating!

Surprisingly, the parents look to be in good health despite the mom breeding so little (I didn't weigh her because the people fed her like 10 min before I got there to pick them up) but she can't be bigger than 200g or so! She's small! They didn't have any belly burns from their unregulated heat mat. The cage was pretty clean though they were housed together. I just hope they continue to do well for me.

All mine are normals. Doesn't matter they are all your babies, and normals can be pretty amazing too!!! Pics are always fun :p

I should get some pictures! While I was away today, my family went to peek on the eggs and opened the egg tub. They didn't close it tight so the first pipper has escaped :/ They are just so darn small I doubt I will ever find it (It was in my closet...which has an infinite number of good hiding places in it). However, there is one that pipped yesterday and should crawl out soon and the other egg has not pipped yet. Hopefully soon.

I'll try to get a picture on my phone real quick.

I lost two pips, one 7 days after it hatched and one 1 month later. Don't give up. We found one about a month after we lost him and the other one 5 days later. Leave a bowl of water down in the vicinity and lay tape traps. Use PAINTERS tape ONLY. Roll it so that all sticky sides are showing and put it around the walls and doors. Have faith. We were moving and the first little girl got caught on packing tape. BIG ouch it wasn't intentional and my daughter spent 1.5 hours getting him unstuck, now he's no worse for wear. The 2nd one we found in the dirty laundry. So make sure you shake out all your clothes just in case.

Here are a few pictures.

First up: the pipping baby and last remaining egg:

zedc.jpg

Here is one of the babies. This wasn't taken in natural light, just the light in my room. This little girl has two minor kinks near the tip of her tail and I already have a pet home for her.

wu7s.jpg

Here is Dad...I think he's an okeetee. He's also going into shed in this picture.

f8vd.jpg

And here is mom. She's MUCH smaller than dad. I think she's a lavender stripe or possibly an anery lavender stripe. Anyone know? If she's got lavender in her, she's staying with me! I've got a hypo lavender male who's about 80g now.

3vl9.jpg

I lost two pips, one 7 days after it hatched and one 1 month later. Don't give up. We found one about a month after we lost him and the other one 5 days later. Leave a bowl of water down in the vicinity and lay tape traps. Use PAINTERS tape ONLY. Roll it so that all sticky sides are showing and put it around the walls and doors. Have faith. We were moving and the first little girl got caught on packing tape. BIG ouch it wasn't intentional and my daughter spent 1.5 hours getting him unstuck, now he's no worse for wear. The 2nd one we found in the dirty laundry. So make sure you shake out all your clothes just in case.

I'm not really stressing over it. This will only be my third escapee ever. One went across the house (she was a subadult though) and the other never got past the heat tape. This was when we discovered my subadult rack had some flaws. But since those were fixed, I've had no escapes until this little baby!

I think we have some painter's tape laying around. I'll put some of that at the door of my closet and a couple bowls of water (one on the shelf were the eggs were and one on the floor).

I don't EXPECT to find it...but I will be thrilled if I do.

Back