• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hi! I'm new!

lazarin

Hey folks, I'm new to reptiles and hoping to get my first corn snake in the next few months! I've been reading through the forums like crazy so I wanna start by saying thanks for all the helpful info you guys have shared. This'll be my first pet since I've started living on my own (not counting my roommates' cats and dogs) so I wanna make sure I'm as prepared as possible when the big day comes. I'm in love with the checkered bellies on Kisatchies!

About me: I have a bajillion houseplants, love bugs (I'm pumped for cicada season), and live in Columbus, Ohio. If any Columbus pals have got tips on local breeders or feeder mice, I'd be much obliged! I can't wait til I get a chance to check out the All Ohio Reptile Expo. [emoji106] [emoji106]

Seeya around!

Hello and Welcome lazarin!

Monty from Brooklyn here! How ya been?

Well, you're definitely in the right place! Wish I knew about this place 8 years ago when I started keeping corns. I also had a black racer and a boa, but too many years ago to even think about. Other reptiles I had were green iguanas, veiled chameleons, tortoises, skinks, anole lizards and more! I also love dogs (way too high maintenance for me now), cats (I have two kittens), and my wife (I think I'm keepin her!).

But corns are beautiful, easy to take care of, they don't bark, you don't have to potty-train or walk them, and they live longer than some of us!!

This forum is full of people who are knowledgeable and experienced in the care of corn snakes! I have gotten more info here than from my vet! Seriously! Having this forum as a resource is priceless! You'll see!

Welcome again and talk to ya soon!

Howdy neighbor. :wavey: Keep in mind that kisatchie corns are now classified as a separate species, Pantherophis slowinskii. I know of a handful of breeders in our area, a few in Columbus, so there's some variety to choose from if you're looking for corn snakes.

Hey there, thanks for the welcome guys~

Wow Axis it sounds like you've kept just about everything! I hope that'll be me someday haha. Howdy to you too Dragonling! Mind if I send you a PM about the local breeders and stuff? I've been googling around a bit myself but a lot of the the info I've found is pretty old. I'd love to hear from someone with more experience!

Thanks for the tip on the kisatchies too, I'd read that they'd been reclassified but I still see them in the corn category in a lot of online stores. I guess it takes a while to adjust.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm late to the party here, but welcome to the forum! :wavey: Glad you are here.

I know you'll find just the right corn snake. I'm a fan of the checkered belly, too. I have one with and one without and I love them both to pieces. Corns have so much personality and are generally gentle and patient with us humans. They are totally wonderful pets.

Welcome to the forum.
Every time I turn around, I see a post with a new corn snakes I want.
The only reason I don't have more is because my very smart boyfriend keeps me from going overboard. The two I have I am in love with.
I find I tend to lean towards the amels, I like the pinks and whites and purples- I'm not a fan of the normal corns and darker colors, but I find all corn snakes beautiful nonetheless.
I'll be on the hunt for my third snake in the next few months, so I'm excited to see what I'll wind up with.
Hope you find this site as useful as I have =)

Howdy to you too Dragonling! Mind if I send you a PM about the local breeders and stuff? I've been googling around a bit myself but a lot of the the info I've found is pretty old. I'd love to hear from someone with more experience!

Facebook or email is probably the easiest, since the pm box has limits. [email protected] or www.facebook.com/laura.dragonling

If I don't reply within an hour I'm either sleeping, at work, or lost in virtual reality. :laugh:

Hey! Just a quick update to say I'll be looking for my first sneaky one at the All Ohio show this Saturday. I can't wait! Here's what I've got for my tank setup if you guys are interested.

d70f0f026119ca73c83546f323984566.jpg

Looking good. The only thing I would suggest is a small, very dark hide over the heat pad. It can even be a small cardboard box or butter tub with a snake sized door cut in it. Small and dark are the operative words.

Best wishes. I can wait to see your new sneaky one!

Last edited:
Good luck on Saturday. Reptile shows are so fun, and your first is SO exciting!! Take your time to find exactly what you want. Can't wait to see what you come home with!

If it's belly checkers you want, look for normal pattern corns, motleys and stripes wipe out belly patterns. And remember, the color of the belly checkers will correspond with the color of the snake. Have you looked at Ian's viv (here)? There are pictures of each morph, including belly pictures.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll make sure to add that other hide right away. I spent a little time on Ian's Vivarium before but I should really look again before the show. I accidentally fell in love with a beautiful surplus charcoal on SMR's website a few weeks ago but in the end somebody else was faster and I missed out. I love those dark snakes!

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll make sure to add that other hide right away. I spent a little time on Ian's Vivarium before but I should really look again before the show. I accidentally fell in love with a beautiful surplus charcoal on SMR's website a few weeks ago but in the end somebody else was faster and I missed out. I love those dark snakes!

I love the dark snakes too. If you haven't already, check out cinders (here). They are my current favorite. I have one, he's amazing! A dark silver background with just a tiny bit of almost purplish brick red dusted in the peppery black saddles.

Keep an eye on the humidity. You might have to make more air holes. More air holes will lower the humidity, fewer air holes will increase it. If the Humidity stays around 40% to 50% it will probably be ok. It can be lower or higher for brief periods, but if you see it staying at 60% or higher all the time it could cause trouble. I've seen humidity problems in some of those plastic bins that didn't have enough air holes.

Good to know! There's another four rows of holes in the lid but I'll make sure to pick up a hygrometer asap. Can't be too careful!

Back