• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

High Quality Online Rodents????

Brian23693

Hello all. I am new to this forum, but I have learned a tremendous amount already.

Where can I find the highest quality online rodents? My corn is still on pinkies. I want to find healthy high quality pinkies, along with high quality packaging (and clean too). Price is not my driving factor. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I use The Mouse Factory. I've never used anywhere else, but I think they may not be the cheapest. They have never been out of, or short of, anything.
The mice are clean and beautiful, and neatly prepared and packaged, and Ms. Edna in Alpine, Texas is so very very nice.

I've used mice from three sources: The Mouse Factory, Mice Direct and Gourmet Rodent. The Mouse Factory is the only one of those three that has what I would call "clean" mice. They are vacuum sealed, dry, straight and not contorted, don't have poop or bedding on them.

I've ordered from both American Rodent (free shipping with a minimum $100 order...which means I have a freezer-full of mice), and RodentPro. I didn't have a problem with either of them, and neither did the snakes :)

I believe OkeeteeMom had a list of some of the various online sources for reptile food, and a lot of people gave their 2 cents for suppliers.

I've only ordered from Layne Labs. The mice were pristine and perfectly packed. Plus, their website seems to indicate (and hopefully it's true) that the mice are very well cared for while alive. I recently picked up some mice from Mice Direct at a show. I'm not impressed. I'll go back to Layne Labs and pay shipping next time.

I've ordered from RodentPro twice. First time, the furred mice were generally clean, but a lot of the pinkies had broken limbs. Second time, the pinkies were intact, but most of the hoppers had at least one pellet of poop on them. The small mice had less poop, but significantly more than the first time i ordered. In terms of size, they appear to be within the advertised weight range, but i've never ordered large prey like adult rats where it would be easier to notice the size difference.

AFAIK RodentPro is the cheapest vendor, so i'm tolerant of quality issues. However, I will try out another vendor next time to see the difference.

I raise my own and sorry but its darned hard to keep them spotless lol. I do my best for the snakes but as the rodent dies, like anything that dies, it relieves its self as it passed due to muscles relaxing. Its just how it is. I imagine the "clean company" mentioned above probably takes a lot of pains to have such clean and neatly organized shipments which is why they cost a little more. My snakes don't really seem to care if a little pee got on the fur or if a poo stuck to its butt lol.

Thank you all very much for the recommendations. I realize that the snake could care less about the pee and poop, however, my 4 year old daughter is the one who feeds our snake each week and I prefer the process to be as "clean" as possible. If I have a choice of my daughter handling cleaner pinkies versus ones covered in pee and poop, I'd choose the cleaner ones. Again, money is not my driving factor. Quality is. I think i'll try the Mouse Factory. Thank you all again.

Im glad that someone here likes Layne Labs i just ordered 50 fuzzys and hoppers from them and they get here tomm. they seem higher quality than most sites. and their mice are USDA approved!

I still have one male that will only eat live :cry:

I've only ordered from Layne Labs. The mice were pristine and perfectly packed. Plus, their website seems to indicate (and hopefully it's true) that the mice are very well cared for while alive. I recently picked up some mice from Mice Direct at a show. I'm not impressed. I'll go back to Layne Labs and pay shipping next time.

Hmm, with the risk of stuff from the mice even if they are clean I would not allow children to feed snakes but that is me, I'm nutty like that. Especially since my kids are hard headed about washing their hands. Its nice to know that not everyone has to fight it out with their kids to be sanitary lol.

I'm glad there's a reptile expo close to me because the shipping for online rodents is ridiculous.

Just got my order from Layne Labs, great looking mice! I would without a doubt say that they are the best frozen mice you can buy online. Ive tried alot of companies, but these are some clean well feed mice. Will definately order again. Shipping is really expensive so make it count when u order.

How long can frozen stay "fresh" for? At what point would I need to toss them because they are too old?

I know freezing extends the life of the food but they cant stay fresh indefinitely. How long is too long?

How long can frozen stay "fresh" for? At what point would I need to toss them because they are too old?

I know freezing extends the life of the food but they cant stay fresh indefinitely. How long is too long?

I'm pretty sure they can last quiet a long time if you get one of those Food saver things that sucks all the air from the bag and seals it up nicely for you. I think there are some people on here who use them.

Mine were fine for six months before I used them up. I double bagged them in ziploc freezer bags. Not a sign of freezer burn. I don't know if there's a limit to the nutrition of mice in the freezer.

I am not so much worried about losing nutritional value as I am that my snake wont eat a mouse thats been frozen for 6 or 9 months. Do snakes care?

Depends on how well they are packaged, I usually double wrap the packages when they come. If they are well packaged, about a year is the generally accepted period they are considered good. Most corn snakes aren't terribly picky but some individuals can be. I've heard of individual snakes preferring mice from a certain supplier, mice only a certain color, etc. But most of the time those are species other than corns.

Back