• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Horror for Halloween-another Petco tale

What's a Panda Party?

No Offense on the drive thing. I had a goat farm in FL and was known to drive 4-5 hours to pick up good feed. Since I also own Border Collies and used to compete in competition frisbee, agility and herding trials, I have also been known to go out of town for entire weekends just for a 30 minute session with a prominent trainer.

I think that as I get older and as my Navy career progresses, I just don't have as much time as I used to. However, before I buy a house, I try to find a vet that will meet all of my needs within easy driving distance. I was pretty lucky to get an awesome small animal vet with an actual critical care unit for my border collies and aging cats AND a herp vet for my reptiles both within a decent driving distance. Nothing worse than having an emergency and nowhere that I can get to quickly.

The Petco I went to is in Bremerton near PSNS. There is another one in Gig Harbor about the same distance. I may start going to that one. The area is nicer.

We went to Puyallup for the Northwest Captive Breeder's Expo a couple of weeks ago. How fun! Sooo expensive. I thought I could get in and out with only an entrance fee and some f/t mice. However, there was this cute little anery stripe female and my husband laid eyes on a beautiful, 2 1/2 year old salt and pepper bull snake. Add in a couple of extra tanks, and other essentials.... it was easily a $400 or more day. Yikes.

Your take on finding a vet is definitely a good one. I'll have to keep that in mind when I move out on my own... Driving several hours for an hour-long vet trip can be a major pain in the butt. Lol. =)

Thanks for the info! We aren't often on the Peninsula, but when we are... Bremerton Petco="bad".

The Puyallup expo was great! I think I saw that bull snake. My mom loved it. We only went on Saturday, though, and we couldn't get anything other than feeders because we're in the middle of a reptilian health crisis at home. (Though we were sorely tempted. That's also the day we ended up in the Puyallup Petco. Which was a horrible temptation by itself--they had an oversized boa who I could almost swear had some Hogg Isle in it and they were even going to give us a discount if we took it...)

That's an invitation to a panda party if I ever saw one :roflmao:

I never thought I could sink so low...! :eek:

I, too have given in to the temptation to "rescue" an animal. I got my second gecko on a whim much the same way. I don't regret it and she's become a gorgeous, healthy girl, but I did write a letter to the company to let them know I was displeased with the conditions they had.

On the other hand, one of the best PetSmart stores I have ever seen is not far from me. Their reptiles were gorgeous, the staff knew what they were talking about and the cages were clean and as properly kept as any I've ever seen. I made sure to compliment the staff on it--turns out they won some kind of award from the company for their good husbandry.

So it's got to be individual stores doing this crap, not the company as a whole.

Anyway, good luck with the new baby!

I am lucky to have family owned pet stores here that take very good care of their reptiles. However, the petsmarts and petlands are awful sometimes. I worked for Petland before it was closed down and I can tell you awful things happened there. Several employees...including myself actually stole dieing animals (mostly reptiles) and nursed them back to health and gave them to people who could care for them.

The owner of the store was suck a piece of crap he would not let us treat an entire cage (50+) hamsters that all had wet tail. Instead he told us to sell the medicine with them (for the warranty) or they would be back to get another. We treated them anyways...a lot of stuff happened after that d-bag left he would not have been happy about.

Puppies straight from the puppy mills....they would give you BS stories about these pups coming from breeders and coming on a mobile kennel with a vet and all this BS...I saw them come in...they came in boxes and they were covered in their own crap. Some would be ate up with ring worm and some even died after shipment. We had a cat confined to a kennel for almost a year because it constantly got ring worm...I would play with it because I felt terrible for it and I never caught anything.

Of course reptiles were kept with no heat or light. However, we didn't try to feed Corns or ball pythons crickets...most of us knew better than that.

Only bad snake experience I have had was with my Snow corn...it did have mites when I got it. They were pretty easy to get rid of so no real harm done. It was from a pet shop but it was a family owned deal, much better than most. They have no heat on them but they are in their own climate controlled island in the middle of the store. Much better setup than most places.

I know that Petco/Petsmart could do a better job of taking care of their reptiles, but I also place blame on the breeders that are willing to sell their less than healthy snakes to the pet store. Judging from the size of many of the baby corns I see at Petco, I don't think they've ever been fed.

Back