• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How about the smallest snake in history??

Ursula

I just realised that I hear everyone go 'What's the bigger snake you've seen?' but what about the smallest?

Small is cuter. I have to wonder what the smallest snake is in history.. or.. CORNsnake for that matter. Could it be possible to have an ADULT at say 12 inches? That would be a weird scene.

Is that possible?

Actually they just discovered a really small snake in the jungles of the amazone or something like that....it's so small that it could go trought the center of a pencil (you know...that grey stuff:p ).....it feeds on insects and stuff

Duh what else could such a small thing eat:rolleyes: :D

Wow. That is one small critter. I saw the smallest frog on tv once and it was ADORABLE. You can barely hold the lead of a pencil though. :) Unless it's the thicker kind.. even then that is TINY!!

The Eastern ringneck snake is about the size of a large earthworm, smaller than a nightcrawler. I've got lots of them in my yard, cute little things!

Isn't there a worm snake or something like that in Australia? It's like the size of an earthworm.

Okay, not claiming great knowledge here - I didn't know this, but have done a bit of research (slow day ;) )...From what I've found out I think the smallest snake is the Lesser Antillean Threadsnake which is found in the West Indies.

Stubby

Just typing some thoughts as they come to me...

Only talking about cornsnakes/ratsnakes here, almost everyone says that they aren't an adult unless they are around 3 feet or so, or said in a different way, that sexual maturity is based on size not age.

So even if a snake was kept small by limiting the amount of food over a period of years would this snake still not be considered an adult even it was over 3 years old?

Example:
About a year ago I saw a leucistic texas ratsnake that was about 18 inches long and about as big around as a pencil. I had assumed incorrectly that it was from that year's breeding season. It actually was at least 3 years old, but most likely older since it was a rescue. Would this snake be considered an adult just because it was at least 3 years old, or would it still be considered a juvenile due to it's size?

Personally I'd consider something adult once it reached sexual maturity. Age, and development being more important than size. Although having said that, with corn snakes, and reptiles in general you don't want to risk breeding females that are too small in case of egg binding etc.

Anyhow's, that'd be my take on it.

Stubby

Well it seems to me that judging them by size to 'age' them would be ridiculous! Say if there is a very small female.. she is small all of her life.. sort of like a runt. No one will breed her cause they want bigger. Except she's 'full size' and old.. and then she'll get even older etc.. she cannot be a 'non adult' all of her life.

Oh well, just what I think. :)

Never breed, but i've done my research on it. I believe that most all of you are correct. Once a female is sexually mature, it is considered an adult (my opinion). However, if it is very small it should not be bred in case of the eggs to big. The snake should either be sold or should be kept as a nice pet. If the snake continues to grow after being sexually mature, it may be okay for breeding.

These are just my opinions and I don't plan on breeding the snake I have. Once again, just my opinions!

I've read about worm snakes somewhere too. I don't know much about them but I believe they're the smae size of a worm. There was a small article in the book was reading.

I think I saw it on The Crocodile Hunter. That nut, Steve Erwin, was holding one......

"CRIKEY!!! Take a look at this lil fella..."

Sorry had to put in my terrible Steve Irwin impression.

Quigs

Yes, he's also the idiot that held a cobra (i believe i saw that on his show, wouldn't be surprised if he did).

...idiot......

twelve bucks he would do this, me being the one bringing the bomb :blowup:

maybe i should go do that right now.........

(No offense ment to those of you who manage to like him)

He's done a lot of dumb things. You mentioned a cobra and well I remember from one of his shows that he was like aggrevating a spotting cobra and the thing started spitting venom at him. What a moron.(No offense to those who like him. I kinda did too at a time myself.) Some people will never learn though.:nope: One day when he gets hurt, I'll say, I saw it coming.

Yes, he's also the idiot that held a cobra (i believe i saw that on his show, wouldn't be surprised if he did).

He plays with animals all day and I go to work. I'd be willing to bet that his annual income is 15-20x what mine is. I'm not to sure who the idiot is. :D

He sounds pretty shrewd to me. ;)

Back