• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How can you tell the sex?

The vet you mentioned in another other thread should be able to determine the sex of the snake, if he or she is experienced in sexing snakes. Other than probing or popping (which you definitely shouldn't try unless you KNOW what you're doing), there's no definite way to determine the sex of the snake.

Tail length may help give you an idea, but it's extremely inaccurate. :)

Tail length may help give you an idea, but it's extremely inaccurate. :)
I wouldn't go so far as to say extremely inaccurate. Definitely not conclusive, but with a good enough eye and experience it can be a fairly accurate way to tell, depending on the snake. Some are just too close to call, so if you really must know the sex, I'd check with other methods as well.

It does need to be an older snake, though. Babies aren't developed enough to see the differences, so if you're looking to sex a baby, I'd say find someone who can pop or probe for you.

I wouldn't go so far as to say extremely inaccurate. Definitely not conclusive, but with a good enough eye and experience it can be a fairly accurate way to tell, depending on the snake. Some are just too close to call, so if you really must know the sex, I'd check with other methods as well.

It does need to be an older snake, though. Babies aren't developed enough to see the differences, so if you're looking to sex a baby, I'd say find someone who can pop or probe for you.

i heard you shouldnt probe when they are hatchlings because they are too young but i dont know if that has any truth to it

he/she isn't a hatchling but isn't any older than 5 months either. i'll have the vet check for me i guess. thanks guys.

When they're that small 5 months is generally still considered hatchling size. Especially coming from petco.

I would definitely wait a bit before probing. Unless you are very experienced, you can do permanent damage to a neonate corn that way. Popping, (everting the hemipenes) is also something that should only be performed by someone experienced in the process. My suggestion is to wait for a bit of size and then let someone experienced probe him / her. At a year or so of age, you can usually tell the gender visually by the shape of the tale when viewed from the ventral area.

Back