• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you choose?!

Dusty73085

Cornless
I am still in the research phase of owning a corn snake. It won't happen for a loong time, but I believe in being prepared.

A large part of that preparation (for me at least) is deciding which morph to go with. I have found myself drawn to several different morphs and I have no idea how I will decide which to get once the time comes.

So, how did you choose the morph of your first corn? Did you just happen upon one without knowing, or did you research and then decide. Or, did you have such a tough time deciding that you ended up with all of your favorites?

Share your stories! :)

My first corn, a ghost motley, was picked because I saw a picture of one on Don Soderberg's website and I decided then that I needed one. I've picked all my snakes (each a different morph) based solely on visual preference. So, go with what you like to look at! Choices are also made if you decide to breed or start a new morph project. I researched a lot of pictures on this site and others. It doesn't help narrow down your choices, that's for sure! However, you can end up like the majority of us and have 2, 3, 20+ more, so don't stress too much on a decision... you'll have other opportunities to find something you like! :D

Hahaha. Not being able to decide is part of why most of us have more than one snake. Maybe many more than one.

I was at a small local show and saw a cute little young amel. I just fell in love with that one little cutey.

(Another amel, 2 snows and a sinaloan milk snake came to live at my house that same summer.)

I went with what I was most attracted to. Lavender was, and still is, pretty much my favorite morph. So my first snake ended up being a hypo lavender.

I was probably lucky, or maybe unlucky, depending how you look at it. I only researched for about two and a half weeks before getting my corn. I paid the most attention to care and, since I knew I'd be getting one at the local pet store (no breeders near me, that I knew of, and I was NOT having my first snake shipped) I only looked at the morphs most likely to be at the store. I loved all forms of anery, especially any with some type of hypo, but I'd never seen anything but amels and snows at the store. So when I saw they had 3 Classics, I jumped at getting one of them. My mom, who I live with, had not been thrilled at the idea of snakes and really doesn't like red eyed snakes. I don't like the red eyed ones as much either, so that was the best choice.
However, then I spent way too much time on this site with all the pictures of other awesome morphs and got the itch! By that time, I'd also hung around enough for the idea of shipping a snake to not seem like such an unnatural act. Thus the two Phantoms! I've been good since, though. Still haven't got the Caramel het Sunkissed and the Honey that I'd like.

So, how did you choose the morph of your first corn? Did you just happen upon one without knowing, or did you research and then decide. Or, did you have such a tough time deciding that you ended up with all of your favorites?

Share your stories! :)

A member here had some corn snakes for sale in the local paper. I saw the Okeetees, and it was love at first sight. I corresponded with her for awhile, and she chose the friendliest one to be my first snake. In the week between finding the snake and picking it up, I researched like crazy (she steered me to CS.com) and got his viv set up. Fiesta was going to be my one and only. Oh, how naive I was! LOL!

" Or, did you have such a tough time deciding that you ended up with all of your favorites?"

Yep--eventually, that's just exactly what happened!

Get the prettiest one (or two) that's within the price you want to pay. What inklings do you have so far?

I started out really loving the Reverse Okeetee. Then I saw Carol's Miamis. The Miamis are now at the top of the list. Should I get one, it would be from her.

I also really love the bloodreds and pied bloodreds.

Charcoals are in the mix as well.

I will probably only have one corn (maybe 2) depending on how much realistate is available. I can tell you right now though, I will have many one day! lol

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. It's fun seeing how things happen for each person.

Well, my first cornsnake appeared in my yard. I'd never seen one before, and that normal was like an amazing jewel. After buying a couple "other" snakes, I decided to get more cornsnakes. I fell in love with a picture of a Milksnake Phase Miami, and bought two more babies to fill up the shipping box, a bloodred and a hypo bloodred (and missed out on the perfect butter motley!!) but that Milksnake Miami remains, to this day, one of my very favorite snakes of all time, because she is just the sweetest thing, and, I think, extremely beautiful. If you have a chance to interact with various snakes in person, I'm sure you will just feel a connection with one. It may not be the most unusual, or the one you _think_ you want the most. If you choose to buy and have the snake shipped- tell the breeder what is most important to you, and the breeder can select the snake that she thinks is the best match. I can tell you I have _never_ been disappointed by a snake I have bought sight unseen, except for maybe a picture.

Oh, and I can remember when I only wanted ten snakes, at the most! Make that 15. okay, 20. Okay, 30. And now I have 52...

lol! Nanci. After lurking around here, reading posts and visiting many breeder websites, you are a top my list of breeders to buy from. Everything you post is so informative and it's obvious you love all of your babies.

Of ftopic, but I just wanted to through that in there.

Well, if you love bloodreds, or Miamis, I am hoping for a lot of both!!!

I am such a sucker for cute, sweet snakes. My baby Candy Cane, son of Cherry, my second corn, the Milksnake, I had _no_ reason to keep "just an amel." But he's the cutest, sweetest thing ever, possibly even exceeding his mother in terms of friendliness- no way could I sell him!!

And OMG- you should have seen me when I took my first babies to FedEx to ship them out. I was bawling like I was sending my own children away, and I _knew_ they were going to great homes! Yup, I love my snakes!!

I didn't pick a specific morph, but of course I had a bunch that I loved...I put them in the "one day" pile and just went looking for the corn with the perfect attitude, regardless of morph. We have quite a couple small family owned pet stores around me, so I went in to them and held quite a few snakes. I held Andy a few separate times and just had to have him. He didn't stun me with his looks, but everything else about him was perfect!!!

When it's the perfect snake, looks don't matter as much as the potential bond you feel with that animal.

I never really thought of letting the snake "pick me". I did that with my fist parrot and it was an amazing feeling.

I have handled 2 corns so far and I felt much more comfortable with one over the other. I just hope it happens when I am able to bring him/her home.

Nanci - What you said is exactly why I would pick you to purchase a baby from. The breeder of my second parrot cried when she dropped her off at the airport for me. She is a doll and I love her. You have to really trust and know the breeder cares for the babies. It insures you get an awesome creature to love!

I saw a picture of a butter and a tessera, Which to me are the ultimate in morphs. I have the butter and will get the tessera soon. Lol

My first corn was an amel. I was only aware of a couple of the morphs when I got him at a pet store. I wasn't really planning on getting a snake but was thinking about it. I mentioned this to the reptile keeper at the store and he said he had 2 corns, my amel and a candycane. After I handled him I returned the next day and bought him. Shortly afterward I learned more about the various morphs and the bloodreds definitely caught my eye. I knew I would end up with one.

Mitch

Mitch

I bought my first snake at an expo, so I had an enormous variety of snakes to choose from. I actually went with the breeder I felt the best about, who was the most knowledgeable, had the most comfortable set-up for the snakes in his display and appeared to have the tamest and healthiest snakes. I wanted to start off with a good beginner snake, which is why I researched corns. The breeder I liked only had normal corns left, so a normal was what I bought! I'm glad I went with my gut because she has a fantastic temperament and she's always been very healthy and a great feeder.

Went to a local snake show with my fiance exar15xe and came across the cutest little amel stripe we were both very interested in her I asked to hold her and we just knew she was the one..lol.. :) Now of course we felt like she should have a friend so we found another one later and then like many people it just increased from there. We share this attraction to corns so now we have 18 and counting all of them are our pets and are handled and loved and named they are all personal to us too :)

Back