• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you choose?!

I never really thought of letting the snake "pick me"...
Evie, my first corn...

SO 'this lady' walks into the local pet shop after breakfast, just to walk off her meal. There were many beautiful, spectacular and wonderful baby corn snake morphs all over the reptile room. When all of a sudden, in a floor level Viv there appeared this big old snake...stretching its neck up towards the lady and flicking its tongue. The lady crouched down and enjoyed the snake's curiosity. The lady asked to hold the snake...and fell in love. The End...no wait, The Beginning!
attachment.php

Evie picked me. :D

I'm a reptile show addict so it was bound to happen someday! ( I've been very good lately. I haven't attended any recently! ) I have 8 snakes now and only ONE came into my yard and it wasn't a corn! It was a garter! ( We ain't got wild corns around here. I'm so jealous of the members here who live in "corn country"! )

I have two corns right now and both are amels. Wanted something else but that's how I lucked out. And amels have such WONDERFUL dispositions! I went to a very big reptile show specifically to get a bloodred. Well the bloodred I was interested in was nippy but there was this lovely, male amel right next to her, big and beautiful and friendly as a puppy dog. I had to have him! He scared my hubby when I brought him home because he was a full grown corn. He's a lot bigger now but still a sweetheart! I've had people who are terrified of snakes handle him and I so wanna do reptile education and outreach because of my big Draco.

Wishbone is a juvenile amel corn I got as a baby in a trade. She's a gem and loves to pretend she's a bracelet. I can feed her while I hold her and she shows every sign of growing up to have the same wonderful disposition as Draco. She's also my only corn that's female so she's kinda precious to me right now.

Still wanna a bloodred. But...well...I better not say anymore. You'll see eventually.

There are breeders here across the country that I would LOVE to purchase a snake from. But I have to wait until I get an extension on the house to do that! Right now I'm up to capacity unless someone dies! I would LOVE to purchase corns from PJC Reptiles, Dakota Corns, Kathy Love and (of course! ) Nanci at Snickersnakes. And Vinnie's got some really fine bloodreds. They're all great people, knowledgeable on their animals and bloodlines with a great selection of colors. You can't go wrong with any of them! ( Shameless plug here! )

So enjoy the photo section, do your research and maybe get a second tank. They are like potato chips! Pick a favorite color. There's probably a corn in that color. ( I'm still waiting on a dark, royal blue or a metallic golden corn that doesn't cost a small fortune! )

And DON'T BE AFRAID TO BUY ON-LINE! If you fall in love with a specific color, you might have to go that route. I can garantee your local pet stores will have a limited selection in colors. And I wouldn't recommend buying from a pet store anyway!

Devon

"Still wanna a bloodred. But...well...I better not say anymore. You'll see eventually."

The curiosity is killing me...what do you mean??

OkeeteeMom - That was an adorable story, thank you for sharing!

Sorry guys! Off topic! Besides I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread.

Nanci, don't you have any more babies from that last clutch for sale???? I highly recommend Nanci's snakes but only if you like raging color!

Devon

My first two corns were disappointing, the normal died after a month or two and the anery has had digestion issues. My third corn is such a delight, I'm so happy I kept looking. My snow is the sweetest pet I've ever owned.

The first time I wanted a Cornsnake was alll they way back then in 6th grade when my teacher had an Amel and a Normal corn snake. She let me hold it one day (Which surprised me because she didnt let anyone hold them) and that is when I fell in love.. haha. After that, I didnt stop reaserching about Cornsnakes. I would guess I spent about 5 months looking up basic care for Cornsnake. Then I got one. It was a petstore snake, but the moment the guy that worked there put it in my hands, I said "Yes, I want it!" (I was lucky he wasnt a sick snake b/c I didnt "inspect" the snake to see if anything was wrong with it) Getting home, I put him in his enclosure, and I've watched him grow since. On March 25th will be our 2nd year together. Everyone told me he would die, or get sick and run away. But I proved them wrong!
You dont know how bad I want another Corn. Maybe even a Ball Python, or a Green Tree Python, or a Woma Python, or a Bamboo Rat Snake, or a Brazilian Rainbow Boa. I just really want another snake. But untill I move out, then I can get another one. I'm counting the seconds...
I'm most interested in Cornsnakes with red on them. I really love bloodreds, and Okeetees are one of my favorites. My least favorite morphs are Anery's or Snow's. Pick a snake based on what is pleasing to your eye (Unless your planning on breeding them. But thats a whole different chapter you should be very educated about before you start)

I was wanting another snake after a few years off and looking at my empty viv for too long. I got the viv ready, and started going to reptile shops and just looking. I kind of knew I wanted a corn, as I like to interact with my snakes and they have wonderful personalities.

I went into Long Beach Reptiles Only (a great little store if you are ever in the area, owned by a long time breeder/wholesaler who decided to try a retail store) and the woner took a few out for me. All were healthy, friendly and attractive. Then he took out a candy cane which had the brightest white I've ever seen on a snake and the most vivid reds. My jaw dropped! It was like Lana Turner just walked into the room!

Needless to say, she came home with me and her name is Lana.

I looked at a lot of pics online, but I have to say that seeing the snakes in person makes all the difference to me.

I love lavenders, but the first time I held an amel- I realized how stunning the bright oranges are. Plus, the personality of the snake has a lot to do with it.

A sweet snake will steal your heart. Even the classic morph can be a stunning looker and the best pet.
I have a classic male, Bindi, who is always a pleasure to handle. He is so friendly and colorful that he is just about the perfect pet corn although he is 'just a classic'.

I wanted a corn for years, but for some reason it just hadn't happened. My first was actually a birthday present from my family. He's an amel from PetSmart (always been totally healthy), who was chosen by my son Sterling because he was gentle and friendly. I was totally delighted and thoroughly hooked! Of course, loving the thrill of breeding, I knew I had to get more. Found this forum, bought the books, did the research, and bought a trio online from Kathy Love. That was going to hold me for a while. But..... I'm no longer trying to predict what my corn limit will be. :shrug: I still really enjoy them, and (I know it sounds cheesy) I'm glad they're in my life.

This is a fun thread! It's interesting to read others' stories and experiences.

Back