• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how fast can they go? (and other handling questions)

The "log" is on the warm side.
I was thinking it was a little open too, but he seems to like it more then the darker hide on the cool side. If he's on that side he's usually in the tree thingy above it :p
He seems to feel fairly secure just curled up in a corner, or behind something, on the warmer side. and like I said, curled up in the vines.

Also he seems to try to burrow into the coco sometimes but then either decides not to, or can't get in very far. should I be worried?

The "grass" in there came with it, I'm pretty sure it's the "decorative moss" they were selling at the shop... looks awsome IMO, got some more too :p

unplugged the UTH, should be going into town tomorrow so I can get a thermostat.
what's the dif. between a thermostat and a rheostat anyways?

Rheostat will limit the amount of power going to the UTH therefor the UTH will be unable to reach full heat. You will have to adjust the slider on it and check the temp with your digital thermometer ever 1-2 hrs at first and then once or twice a day for the first week. After that you really only need to check the temps 1-2 week or when the temp in the house changes a fair amount. The cheapest rheostat I have found is at Walmart from Leviton for $10. There is a pic at this website http://www.smarter.com/light-switches/leviton-l32-tbi03-1lw-tabletop-slide/pd--ch-47--pi-26671914.html

Thermostats have a computerized component in them that allows you to set a temp and place the probe on the glass above the UTH so the thermostat will allow the UTH to heat to that temp and either shut off or drastically reduce power to the UTH. Then as the probe registers that the temp has dropped by a couple of degrees it will either turn back on or increase the power again. It continues this cycle for you so that you do not have to manually adjust a rheostat.

As for what models of thermostats to get or not get, I have not used any yet but many times I have read on here that ZooMed(I think) make a thermostat and it is crappy. I do not know what other options for thermostats will be available to buy with out ordering on line.

As for digital thermometers Walmart has a good one for cheap as well it is a digital indoor outdoor thermometer with probe. You will see it part way down the page in this thread. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97510 Again I understand it is around $10-$15 and you simply place the thermometer in the tank on the cool side and run the probe to the warm side, stick the probe down with sticky tack(allows for you to remove at viv cleaning) or silicone(permanent), heck it even monitors humidity. If using sticky tack you will have to replace it sporadically, very frequently with the substrate you are using as crude gets in it and it looses it's stick. If using the silicone you must have a plastic tub that can clip shut and has air holes and leave your snake in it over night while the silicone dries and the fumes disipate.

So just to be clear you need either a rheostat or a thermostat and a digital thermometer.

Last edited:
I use a thermostat made by zilla. It is rated for 1000 wats (multiple devices). There is a 500 watt version but I was unable to find one. It is analog (dial) so not as accurate as it could be. But it works. At some point I will get a Herpstat (recommended by many on here).

As for what models of thermostats to get or not get, I have not used any yet but many times I have read on here that ZooMed(I think) make a thermostat and it is crappy. I do not know what other options for thermostats will be available to buy with out ordering on line.

lol?
so you need a thermostat to keep healthy snakes, but you don't use one?
ok then...

well I went to town today to get one, and couldn't find one. so i got a "lamp dimmer" (rheostat). I don't have a suitable thermometer atm tho, so I just have it so the glass right above it is just warm to the touch (about 1/3 power). maybe that's why he never seemed to like the hide on the hot side... too hot :p

I would still reduce the dimmer just a hair, all of my warm sides feel cool, as 85 is more than 10 degrees lower than our body temp.

Just so you know, double check my post, I said that you need a thermometer and either a rheostat or a thermostat.. You must have read to fast, LOL

umm...
our bodies may be like 96 degrees or w.e, but that's like a core temp.
the back of my hand is much cooler.
and seeing as the heating pad feels a little cooler then my palm, I'd say it's prolly good until I get the right thermometer.

thanks for your help :)

They can be snake sized missiles when they get going - although they slow down as they get older...

They're also stronger than you would expect as well

Its good advice to let your new one alone for a while if you can manage to keep your hands off him - they're hard to resist but it'll make for a happier and more trusting snake.. they are naturally cautious and will thoroughly check out an area before making the decision to move around - they move fairly slowly unless they get nervous or upset.

Nobody asked me, but....

First, you MUST get good thermometers for the tank. To start with -- until you have a good handle on the temperature gradient in your tank -- I'd use two therms, one at each end of the tank. You can buy good cheap digital therms at places like Walmart -- the ones I use cost about $6 each, US. Many of them also have hygrometers, so you can keep an eye on the humidity as well.

IMHO therms are much more important than the rheostat or thermostat. You have to know what's actually going on before you can know how to adjust it. Corns seem to be quite adaptable to coolish temps, but you really and truly don't want to cook your snake!

You seem to have been talking about this issue for at least a coupla days now. What's keeping you from getting that thermometer??

I put a unregulated uth on a empty tank and put some paper towels in(that's what i use for my snakes) and let it warm up over night and it was 101.3 and the temp on my palm was 90.6 and it felt barely warm so your temps where probably way to high and still are probably to high and if you go to the pet store the exo terra digital thermometer are pretty good but cost like $25 or if you wanted you could be like me and get a $100 temp gun

toad772 where did you get your temp gun, mine was $60 dollars and my employee got the same one I have on sale for $30 and we live in Canada as well.

Snakes in general may not lightning fast but they are quick and the babies can be very fast faster than many expect them to be, which often leads to lost snakes.

Aside from the unregulated temps, looks like everything is going good. They are quick, but as long as you keep your eye on them, I think it would be difficult for them to actually 'escape' if you were handling them, or paying attention to them. I'm pretty sure most escapes happen when nobody is watching, so just keep a close eye! And about handling, I think the snake would make it very clear if it was uncomfortable with you, so if you feel like its ok to hold it for 10-15 mins after only 3-4 days.. whatever. It's really not a big deal, not all of them react the same way. However, if your snake isn't liking it, don't ignore what he's trying to say. Give him more time to settle.

toad772 where did you get your temp gun, mine was $60 dollars and my employee got the same one I have on sale for $30 and we live in Canada as well.

Snakes in general may not lightning fast but they are quick and the babies can be very fast faster than many expect them to be, which often leads to lost snakes.

I got mine from Canadian tire I didn't actually pay $100 that's just the regular price I payed $30 on sale

Wow toad Cantire is where I got mine reg. price $60 and my employee got it on sale for $30. Just curious what city you in?

Well My brother is NB, he is in St. Stephen(?) not sure if it is spelled with a "ph" or a "v". Nice avatar by the way!

Well My brother is NB, he is in St. Stephen(?) not sure if it is spelled with a "ph" or a "v". Nice avatar by the way!
It is with a ph and thanks I have a sig to go with it but cause i'm not a contributing member I can't use it

Back