• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how much to pay

Renosgirl

I was talking with my roomie and we were talking about how much we are willing to pay for our first corn. I am willing to pay a couple hundred but she is not.

I was just wondering what you paid for your first corn.

(I know its not nice to ask what someone paid but you can say 50-100 if thats better for you)

My first 2 (1 normal, 1 anery) were $30 & 35 which some people will say is high but it was cheaper than the petstore.
My coral ghost was 90 I believe, my upperkeys redblood was $50 on sale (both came from Walter Smith - here)
My 1 year old from JoannaD (here) was 60-65 - she is hypo/strawberry ghost.
I'm getting another adult from someone here for $60 and he's Miami - I'm getting 2 (m & F) ultramel charcoals for - I can't remember, I'd have to check but they weren't that expensive, maybe 90 for one and 70 for one? That's what I'm thinking.

So, you shouldn't have to pay that much for a very nice corn. All but my initial 2 have come from breeders here on the classifieds.

Those prices don't include shipping. If I can, I will order 2 from same breeder to save $$.

I see you're not in US but I'm sure you can find forums/classifieds up there and pay much less than a couple hundred $$.

My anery was $10, my motley was $5 (yes, that's right), lavender was $40, and my specter was free for cost of shipping $60.
My ball python was $20, my boa was $40, and my hognose was $45.
My frilled dragon was $200 after I did 8 months of research to make sure I didn't kill him.

Unless you're planning to get into some breeding I would not spend too much money. But that is my opinion.

Ali - you got good deals! I didn't know my anery and motley should have been less, but I was ok with it. All I knew at that point was they were cheaper than the pet store.

Did you get yours at shows?

I paided $20 for Piglet... StanLee (RIP) and Eve were both $30. I am getting a normal and anery and okeetee for cost of shipping. Hubby got his bp for free!

My first cornsnake was WC in my front yard. The first cornsnake I bought was milksnake-phase Miami Cherry, and she was $100. I bought three cornsnakes at that time from Carol Huddleston. The others were Jasper, hypo bloodred ($125) and Jasmine, bloodred ($40). This was also when I bought my first rack, and then the two hatchlings were WAY too small to go into it.

The next snake I bought was Lily, lavender bloodred. This was at the time when Rich Z had a fall end of the season sale and cut the price of lavender bloodreds from $600 to $300 (plus a 25% surcharge for a lone female!) making her _barely_ affordable to me. So my fourth cornsnake purchase was my first expensive cornsnake.

Cherry is my favorite cornsnake, a lovely people-loving snake, and mama of my beautiful yearlings Candy Cane and Milky. (Plus a bunch of nice Miamis that were sold).

My advice is, if you have a certain morph in mind, go for it! As long as you buy from a reputable breeder, the snake should be healthy and will be a cherished pet for many, many years.

Ali - you got good deals! I didn't know my anery and motley should have been less, but I was ok with it. All I knew at that point was they were cheaper than the pet store.

Did you get yours at shows?

No, I got mine from a breeder. He usually sells motley's for $25, but I worked him ;D
He usually sells anery hatchlings for $20, but mine was one of the last and he was pushing all the remaining ones out for cheaper. That or he just likes me since I buy all my mice from him too. Haha. I got my lavender at the Denver expo though, and he was a very good price I think.

well the way I see it is that it is a one time buy and then snakes are pretty cheap to maintain so thats why I don't mind paying a bit more to start with.

well the way I see it is that it is a one time buy and then snakes are pretty cheap to maintain so thats why I don't mind paying a bit more to start with.

You think it is a one time buy.. and then you get another, and another... and another... ;D

well for now its gonna be one, but my roomie is going to slowly buy a set up and get things together to get her own

The main thing you want to look for is local. I just check craigslist in your area and there isn't crap. Lol...but find a local breeder so you don't have to pay shipping...especially if you are looking at getting a fairly basic morph. I wouldn't $60+ on shipping for a normal corn unless it was like a proven female that throws triple clutches of golden eggs ;)

Find a local breeder and you can pick up a nice basic morph (Amel [Albino], Anery, Snow, etc) for a very reasonable price...like $30 range. Then just spoil the crap out of it till you get another one. Which will only be like a few days or weeks after you get your first one ;)

Agreed! You won't have just one snake for long! Especially if you go to a breeders house, you will probably come home with 2.

If you're seriously only wanting one (which I doubt will happen), I'd go for the color morph you like if you're willing to pay it. My normal girl is very pretty, I think. So is my anery, he's probably my friendliest baby. They are all so different, which is why I found it hard resisting the gorgeous ones I'd find here. I'm maxed out right now or I'd get the pair of ambers listed on the classifieds. I have snakes shipping from him but I just don't have room.

well I am most likely gonna get one from the breeder on here (Rebecca from Triple R corns) so she will be local enough cause I will be moving soon.

I have a bad feeling that I will end up with 2, but I only have 1 set up lol so I am forced to only get 1 hahahaha

I had Piglet for about 5 months before I added 2 more. Then two months later my husband bought me Winchester for our Anniversary. Now next week I will be getting 3 more! I did find an awesome breeder and friend :)

My first corn snake was a wild cought so she was "free", but I have spent up to $600 for an adult cinder male which ended up never eating on his own, prolapsing a hemipenes during the first time I introduced him to a female - purchased as a proven breeder, by the way - and died later in the year having not even sired one hatchling for me.

You spend what you can afford to possibly lose on something that you want. The market may set some prices, but in the end, it is up to you as to how much you want to spend for any morph.

Back