• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often and how much should I feed an adult male california rat snake? (4yo)

obboi: if feeding two adult mices every two weeks might be better, isn't it the same as feeding one adult mice per week? Which is the plan I consider.

It would be like you eating two full dinners in one night so you don't have to eat the next night. Some snakes prefer to gorge themselves and be content for two weeks, some prefer feeding weekly. You will just have to work with him and see what he prefers!

That's funny that I didn't recognize him as a yellow rat! I love, them, too!! They are native to where I live. A couple people here have even found them in their houses!

Is there any difference in their lifespan compared to the regular cornsnake lifespan (10-12 years)? I've heard that ratsnakes can easily live up to 15 too in captivity.

I have a wild caught female corn that hits 13 years in captivity next month. She was caught at adult size, which as a wild snake is probably around 4-5 years old at the least, even more so given her size (she's pushing 5ft and was maybe around 4ft at capture).

Just anecdotal, I also have an adult male desert kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula splendida) that was caught by my best friend the day he graduated from 8th grade. That was back in May of 1995. By the time we'd graduated high school the snake had put on about 8 inches based upon a wall of shed skins my best friend had from the snake's every shed. Though he appears to have cataracts, he's still kicking taking either a jumbo mouse or small rat every 10-12 days.

Back