• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often to feed baby corns?

Claire1990

I am a new corn snake owner. I just got my little boy this week and i fed him on monday. I've heard feed them once a week or every 5 days. Witch one is correct? Thanks!!

Hey there, your "baby" isn't to little he looks the size of a few of mine that weigh over 20grams I feed them every week (7-10 days) but never do I wait longer than that. I have a few really small snakes that I feed every 5 days. It's really up to you. Keep in mind it takes a few days for them to digest and expel the food. I don't hold mine until they poo, cause I'm not a fan of getting pooed on lol and in most cases the ones that are fed more often grow faster, which is good, we just try not to make them fat.

Here is a copy of the Roy Munson plan...it works very well!

You will need a small kitchen type scale to weigh the snake!

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

I think most people here will say around every 5 days or so. As your snake grows you can reduce the frequency of feeding and increase the prey item size.

No, she does feed them every five days. I've seen Nanci post this more than once. Her snakes look pretty darn healthy to me too.

Wow, that seems like a lot, especially when using Munson's as a guideline. Whatever works best though I guess, just proves there's no one "right" answer.

The amount of exercise the snake gets can make a difference too. The concept of a (captive) snake exercising is a new concept to me, but makes perfect sense. Simply handling your snake and having it climb all over you is a form of exercise. Having climbing stuff in the viv would surely help too, but handling encourages them to get some exercise.

Minor thread hijack, but it's relevant and will only take a moment to answer:
When the plan says "feed two pinkies," is that in the same feeding session, or staggered so they have time to digest? (Mine are still far too small for this, of course, but I thought it would be best to ask ahead of time).

Feed the little ones around every 5-6 days. One they get bigger feed 2 pinkies every 5-6 days. Once they get to fuzzies feed them every 7-6 days. And when they are on to adults go ahead and feed them every week to week and a half. All matters if your trying to fatten them up or just keep them at a good weight.

You should never be trying to "fatten them up" - an overweight snake is an unfit snake with a shortened lifespan.

Use the Search facility to find the "Munson Plan" which is an excellent set of guidelines for food sizes/frequencies for any size/age of Corn.

The only time I up the regular feeding of my snakes is just before/during breeding and after egg laying. I like to give my females an extra mouse to help maintain their weight.

What I meant was get the snake to a better weight before breeding. Don't tell me that females shouldn't be fed a lot before and after breeding.

Ah yes, I do tend to do that. Once I think they're gravid (not always obvious) then they go on double rations for as long as they'll eat. After that, there's extra food until they get back to their pre-lay condition.

Apologies - the thread was originally about baby Corns. I didn't realise it had moved on to adult breeding females.

Another minor on topic hijack here...

Is there really a difference if you gave your snake 2 mice every 6 days or 1 every 3 days?
it's the same amount of food over the same time basicly and i would that that would be more like how it would work naturally.
whats the dealio snake pros?

Back