• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to make a black cornsnake........

rich333

They Are Coming!!!
well,
thats the question isn't it?? Anyone got any clues???
where would you start?? Anery x charcoal x diffused x stripe????
maybe even throw in a little chocolate emoryi ??? or perhaps Pewter(charcoal diffused) x ???? and then selective breeding from there??? i'm talking a completely black corn....a deep solid black..like the mexican black kingsnake.
Any thoughts from some of the more experienced breeders as well from newbies would certainly be welcomed. i just think if we can turn off all color and get a Blizzard or white out....we should beable to go the other way,don't ya think???

Love to see someone announce they were working along those lines, but you might be on your own :\ From the little I know(actually guess at), I think there needs to be a few elements in the makeup. Patternless, super-melanism, plus at least axanthism, or white and yellow would be there. It will take you a few years (GL on that!) If I seriously wanted to try, I'd try getting Anery A & B's that lacked any hint of yellow and tan or brown first. Like 10 pairs.
I have seen a pic of a patternless anery stripe before. It was not real dark, but could be part of that puzzle. HOF Herps in Canton,OH produced that guy and still had him afaik last year.
I'd stay away from hybrids, there are already black non-corns. We need pure cornsnakes just to be in the moral majority lol :)

I'd be in awe of a blackout pure corn. Again Best of Luck, and I don't think anyone will tell you not to at least try something new!

omni,

yeah, to my knowledge there are no known BLACK corns. And I was thinking that if anyone was close or felt they were close, they probably wouldnt share, until they KNEW that it was inheritable. so ok, well, i figure,god willing, i have at least 40-50yrs left in this life..why not dedicate it to making black corns??? :)
Anery A & B seem like a reasonable starting point. and adding the diffussed just for kicks and giggles..... I have also seen anery stripes that when mature take on a near uniform color...not black...but a dark grey. well, i guess I have to tell the wife and kids we have to sell the house and cars...so i can afford enough breeding stock to start this endeavor. :)

What a great project idea. A really dark corn would certainly catch my eye. I'd say using the darkest diffused aneries would be a good starting point.

the Anery B Bloodreds seem to get pretty dark maybe starting with those and selectivly breeding from there. if not add some Anery A in with it, if it doesnt happen to throw a wierd kink into it, seeing as Anery A Bloodreds are still quite redish pink. i sunno just thought id throw something out there.

I would probably start with either a really dark anery or charcoal, and simply linebreed for the darkest ground color.

First you’re gonna need some tunes with a really good beat. Call Vinney and get his recipe for chicken. You snakes will need lots of chicken and watermelon. You could call the project, "We Be Snakes n Shyt" (sorry Jeff)

:) :) :) I’m joking, don’t bash me. It was a funny.

First you’re gonna need some tunes with a really good beat. Call Vinney and get his recipe for chicken. You snakes will need lots of chicken and watermelon. You could call the project, "We Be Snakes n Shyt" (sorry Jeff)

Haha wow. :sidestep: Wrong, but yes funny.

Jay, I do understand and respect your opinion. I have been watching this thread in case there was a post such as yours. I’m sorry you found it offensive. I am not a raciest and have several black friends and friends from a variety of colors. I was going to say a rainbow of colors but that is a different subject.

I personally don’t think the comment is offensive. I know that none of the black people I know would be offended by it. Especially knowing that it was intended to be humorous with no derogatory intent what so ever. It’s like saying white men can’t jump. Is that racial? Offensive? True?

I’m sorry Jay. I hope most people won’t find offense where none was intended.

jmho You'd have to start off with a patternless corn. You'll spend years just trying to breed saddles out of your line before you could begin to get them "black". Or years producing "Hyper melanistics" that produce enough melanin to completely cover the patterns...

Just skip all the years you'd put into it and get yourself a black rat snake :*).

Wade, you are my hero

yeah, i've been searching the web for some of the darker anery & charcoals.. perhaps the vanishing stripe x anery or charcoal x diffused.....also have seen this WIDE Stripe morph..where the stripe almost covers 1/3 the dorsal portion of the snake..and what color is it??? black....:) So if one where to combine that with diffused...maybe we could get lucky. course genetics is like winning the lottery....we can make educated guess as to what these mixes will bring...but now one really knows...except mother nature and the genetics gods.... I pray they shine on me.

jmho You'd have to start off with a patternless corn. You'll spend years just trying to breed saddles out of your line before you could begin to get them "black". Or years producing "Hyper melanistics" that produce enough melanin to completely cover the patterns...

Just skip all the years you'd put into it and get yourself a black rat snake :*).

well, that was my initial thought, but then it wouldnt be Pure corn.....which is what we want...isnt it??? actually was thinking the choc. emoryi . but again...it wouldnt be pure corn.

well, that was my initial thought, but then it wouldnt be Pure corn.....which is what we want...isnt it??? actually was thinking the choc. emoryi . but again...it wouldnt be pure corn.

lol no sry...didnt mean to cross them, thats a big step backwards...was joking, meant to just get a black ratsnake...they're neat...and black ;)

LOL, well actually my favorite would have to be the Mexican Black Kingsnake. But thats a whole different forum....

I have to agree with Chris68. Why would you want to make an all black corn, when you could just get a black rat snake? By the time you created an "all black " corn, chances are it wouldn't be pure rad rat any more any way.:sidestep:

the same reason that someone decided to make an all white corn(blizzard).....or an all red corn(Blood red)...or well the list goes on....there isnt one...so why not take the challenge?? besides...it isnt really about the color of the snake...it's the snake itself that interests me...just thought while i surrounded myself with what i loved, i could work towards something the world doesnt have....will i fail....most likely....but if i dont try...I'm guaranteed to fail....money isnt the driving force behind the thought,if i should succeed and make a financial gain from my efforts, then it is the american way...correct? if i end up having to build a 50,000 sq. ft building to house all the snakes..and end up sleeping in my truck...then so be it....

bringing this week old thread back up 'cuz I hope I live to see one someday and just thought about it when i saw an ad for a classic that had really thick black borders. You never know who'd gain some insight and be the one to actually get close enough to produce it or inspire ppl to do new things.

mucho line-breeding work to do = a given

Can it be done? Sure. We have all-white, yellow, red and orange. I think it will accidentally appear or be close to what your after by a random somebody when a pair of hyper-melanistic corns are paired.
very honorable to dedicate yourself to a cause that can only enrich the hobby in whatever way, in this case a new morph variety. Yet is much we will see in the future; you'd be naive to assume corn snake color/pattern variations are tapped out.

In the least, you could get a rep for having verrry dark corns in your quest.

I think a black corn would be awesome, you could call the new morph Onyx.

Hey Omni, what morph is the snake in your avatar?

Onyx....well, now that we have a name, now we need a snake...LOL...reverse engineering at its finest.

Back