• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How to you keep a plastic viv for a BP warm enough?

Depending on how cool it is in the house, lights may be needed.

Can you post a picture of your set up? What are you currently use to heat? What type of substrate? How are measuring temps? And last what are the temps at now?

(Lot of questions, I know, but that will give me a baseline to go off of. :) )

I dont even have him yet. Im just gathering all the info I need to before I go get the stuff and the snake. But he is a baby, so i was planning on getting around a 10 gal plastic tub (too small?) and using 100% cypress mulch with some moss. I will purchase a digital thermo for him also. And i was going to use a UTH and try and keep it moist. I just dont really understand how you can heat something plastic because you cant lay a heat lamp on it. :/ need guidance.

The house is pretty cold. The downstairs is wood, and its pretty cold down there. Like 62 probably, but i will keep him in my room which is carpet and is a little warmer. Probably around 65-68

Gotcha!

Gathering info before you start is awesome!!!

10 gallon is good for a baby. Cypress with lots of fake plant cover is perfect. UTH will work on the tubs, you just have to build a way for air to flow under the tub. I use bottle caps to make tub feet and lift it a bit.

I just saw your other thread, and I'm doing a really detailed guide that will be posted up tomorrow. It's complete with how to hook a UTH up to a plastic tub and everything. If you can hang tight until then, I'll send to the link to it.

I have a UTH with my corn. He is in a glass viv right now, but he constantly hiding and i feel like he might be more secure in a plastic tub also. I think I will get the basic stuff today and then read the link and fix any problems. But as far as the UTH the adhesive will stick to the bottom of the tank and then if i put the bottle caps it should be fine right?

I have a UTH with my corn. He is in a glass viv right now, but he constantly hiding and i feel like he might be more secure in a plastic tub also. I think I will get the basic stuff today and then read the link and fix any problems. But as far as the UTH the adhesive will stick to the bottom of the tank and then if i put the bottle caps it should be fine right?

Does your corn have a lot of fake plants? Sometimes adding in a lot of ground cover actually lets you see your snake more. Counterintuitive I know, but they feel more confident and explore more.

It also is an age thing. As they get older, they sometimes start exploring more. Babies are programmed to hide for safety.

For the bottle caps, I put one in each corner of the tank or tub. Like a booster foot. You can use hot glue or some type of tape (duct tape) to hold them in place.

The uth will stick right to the tub, but I actually recommend another way.

Remove the paper covering the sticky side and wrap the UTH in metal foil tape.

This stuff, link---> Duck Brand HVAC Metal Repair Aluminum Foil Tape.

Wrap the sticky side in that. It's not regular duct tape, but the foil tape that is meant to take high heat. Now you have a heater that is movable and reusable! I just tape it to the bottom of the tank with a little more of the foil tape.

Oh i see! I will wait to get him and read your link tomorrow. I will show you a picture of my corns viv.

484936_605851462763963_135553120_n.jpg

Awesome!

Feel free to ask me anything along the way. I actually have more ball pythons that corn snakes, but the community here is so nice, and they tolerate my shenanigans. :)

Also, if you are book worm type, try to find a copy of this book: Link: Ball Python Manual by Philippe De Vosjoli The info in there is really sound and it's got a lot of handy troubleshooting type advice.

Almost a year old:) ans hes on the smaller side- only 26g so he is probably just insecure. Thanks for all your help. Im sure this wont be the first time i ask you a question.

not to just but in, But i just read that your corn snake is almost a year old and only weighs 26g? ..how could that be?:eek1:

okay.... so i kinda got one :D

Hmm. I guess since I thought you were waiting, I did not bother mentioning that the tank needs to be set up and fully temperature set a minimum of three days before you put a snake in. BPs stress really easy and need to be placed in a enclosure that has already been tweaked and is running perfectly.

not to just but in, But i just read that your corn snake is almost a year old and only weighs 26g? ..how could that be?:eek1:

Justine, when I got my '11 corn in January from a breeder, she only weighed 26grams. It's possible, and probably more common than you'd believe. I've heard petstores underfeed yearlings to keep them 'looking like babies'.

Prattj, your set up looks really good. Kudo's to doing the proper research prior, and I've also heard BP's are super finicky, so it's good your getting everything proper beforehand to avoid the all the worry down the line. Good luck with your new snake :)

Oops, just read you already got one. I would have taken all of Autumn's advice beforehand, and set up the viv temps, etc. to make sure everything goes smoothly. Still wish you the all the best with your BP, hope you get everything down pact, I've heard they are a harder snake to please

It is completely possible. Could be a slow grower, slow starter (such as non-feeder) or the breeder could have had it on a maintenance diet. I have babies nearing a 1 year that are anywhere from 20 grams to 100 grams. The 20 gram kid was a non-feeder who is eating great now and catching up it just took him some time.

I got him almost a year ago though. He was a slow and difficult feeder at the beginning but he eats pretty good for the most part now. But yeah super tiny :/ i mean he looks healthy.. ive had him checked out by other people and everything but still really small. I would like him to be bigger he just doesnt seem to grow... he has shed five times in the past year and they all come off in whole pieces including the eye sockets. Tell me if im doing something wrong, but i have feed him once a week for his whole life. Except the time that he went on a strike but thats it. And my BP is hiding under the log where the UTH is, but it looks really humid in there. So im going to poke some more holes in it.

Back