• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

humidity help!!

itzchaboiwesley

ok well lately since i got my heating pad i been have high humidity around 60-65% so far havent reached 70 yet. almost though. so i have my uth with the zoomed repti r500 works great. but since then my humidity is high. then i notice the cool side was about almost 65 degrees so i deceide to plug the a red light heating lamp to the r500. they say snakes cant see red so ya. and i put it on the cool side. so pretty much lights come on and off because thats how the repti r500 works so ya. and that kept it good keep temps at 70-75 but humidity is bugging the crap out of me!! :angry01: lol. but ya i have the humidity gauge set on the cool side under the lamp. does that effect humidity with the red light heat. reason why i place it there is because it also has the temp gauge with it so therefore i keep it there for the heat to see how cool it is. but should i place the guage like in the middle intead away? any ideas of comments will help. oh yea sorry for it being long

if the heat mat keeps the hot side the right temp you dont need the lamp. a lamp over the water can raise the humidity. dose your house get colder then 65?
my setup the hot side is 85 and the cold side is room temp which is around 67 to 70 with no problems. also what is the humidity in your house is it that high also?

hmm well the lamp is not over the water but it could be that the bowl of water is sitting over the uth just not even an inch but i dont think that would make a diff. but the lamp is away from the water bowl. cool side got down to 65. i like my house cold and its always under 70 and the vent is blowing on the tank too. like the vent is on other side of room but you can feel cool air blowin on the tank. and my house being humidity i dont think so. i cant stand humidity but yet i live in houston. lol

I wouldn't worry about the red light. If your UTH and thermostat are keeping the warm side around 85*F, than you are fine. There will be a thermal gradient between the UTH and the coldest end of the tank...your snake will decide where it needs to be, with or without the red light. The light is only helping to deplete your humidity levels. Even if your water bowl is directly underneath the light, any humidity added from the evaporating water would be dissipated almost immediately from the light, anyhow.

I put my hygrometers(humidity gauge) in the middle about mid-height. This gives a reasonable average relative humidity.

Also...what humidity level are you trying to reach? Corns don't need more than 50% unless they are in a shed cycle. If you need to boost humidity during a shed cycle, you can install a humid hide. Do a search for "humid hide" on the forum, and you will find a TON of ideas for making your own, very inexpensive one that will help give your snake perfect sheds...

get the water bowl all the way on the cold side of the tank off the heat mat and see if that helps. i would check the humidity level of the house also just to know if its high.

ya it should be high though in my house. but also when the lamp comes on. it acutally makes the humidity goes down some. i derno but ya right now temp on cool side is around 72 or so. and humidity is at 60. andi just check the water is not on the uth. but the lamp only stays on for no more hten 5 mins so prety much not alot of heat comes out of the lamp cuz it takes about 5 mins to get it fully heated so ya

I wouldn't worry about the red light. If your UTH and thermostat are keeping the warm side around 85*F, than you are fine. There will be a thermal gradient between the UTH and the coldest end of the tank...your snake will decide where it needs to be, with or without the red light. The light is only helping to deplete your humidity levels. Even if your water bowl is directly underneath the light, any humidity added from the evaporating water would be dissipated almost immediately from the light, anyhow.

I put my hygrometers(humidity gauge) in the middle about mid-height. This gives a reasonable average relative humidity.

Also...what humidity level are you trying to reach? Corns don't need more than 50% unless they are in a shed cycle. If you need to boost humidity during a shed cycle, you can install a humid hide. Do a search for "humid hide" on the forum, and you will find a TON of ideas for making your own, very inexpensive one that will help give your snake perfect sheds...

ya i know about that and the bowl of water is in the middle doesnt even hit the wateer but hmm i have the humidity gauge like right above the subrate and on the cool side. right now i notice maybe about two days ago his eyes are blue and cloudy but his body really isnt like cloudy or something. but my humidity use to be at 50-55% and sometimes 60% not is between 60-70 or so. and i read aboout the moist hide outs and wat not.

get the water bowl all the way on the cold side of the tank off the heat mat and see if that helps. i would check the humidity level of the house also just to know if its high.

Actually, the exact opposite is true. Having your water bowl directly over your UTH increases the amount of water that evaporates into the air. If you can keep this moisture from leaving the enclosure, it will increase your relative humidity. You can accomplish this by covering 2/3 of the screen top with a towel or plastic bag. The evaporated water will stay in the tank, and either condense as moisture off of a plastic bag, or circulate as humidity in the air.

But if the relative humidity inside the tank is already at 60%...you don't need any more...

ya i know about that and the bowl of water is in the middle doesnt even hit the wateer but hmm i have the humidity gauge like right above the subrate and on the cool side. right now i notice maybe about two days ago his eyes are blue and cloudy but his body really isnt like cloudy or something. but my humidity use to be at 50-55% and sometimes 60% not is between 60-70 or so. and i read aboout the moist hide outs and wat not.

If your humidity is above 30-40% during non-shed periods...you're fine. Use a humid hide during shed cycles, and you should have no problems...

lol! i was like huh! what are you talking about! lol jk but ya this is pretty much it.

It's no wonder I couldn't figure out what the problem was...I was like, "60%...why does he think he needs more humidity than that??"

Sorry man...I'll try to be more comprehensive of what I am reading...:grabbit:

but what you said with about where your my snake wants to be is where its gunna be so if its 60 degrees on the cool side he be there but if not he prolly be in the middle. but then again i want her to be comfortable so i dont hvae to worry about it. and it also bugs me whenever the temp or humidity is not were it suppose to be at. so ya. imma move the temp and humidity gauge in the middle. altohught i wont know the temp of the cool side but atleast i know it stays at a steady 70-75 with the red light going on and off. and ill know the humidity

It's no wonder I couldn't figure out what the problem was...I was like, "60%...why does he think he needs more humidity than that??"

Sorry man...I'll try to be more comprehensive of what I am reading...:grabbit:

lol dont even worry aobut it. it happens. espically when i write i write alot. and ya i would too just browse through it too! lol :shrugs::rofl:

Ugh! This is makin me made anyone have any other ideas on how to lower my humidity I woke up this morning It being at 70percent!!! HELP!!!

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands. If I may offer a suggestion that will make your snake very happy. Adjust your thermostat so the temperature on the hot end of the tank is around 85* (around, close, not precisely). Throw away your hygrometer and red light. Sit down and enjoy watching your snake grow. Don't over think it. You're driving the poor little guy nuts.

If your snake develops a sheding problem or something else that would make you think there is a humidity problem, then you can solve it. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Haha ya I do sometimes b ut I check it to make sure temps n humidity is right. I try to prevent the respitory infect n scale rot I don't want to have to deal with that. Later

Back