• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hypo Ultra & Hypo SK Ultra (World's first!)

RobbiesCornField

Bring it on.
Last night was rather exciting for me, as I got to witness both my Ginger (Hypo Sunkissed Ultra) and Supernova (Hypo Ultra) shed for the first time! These are the first of each of their morphs, so watching them go from coated in egg yolk to freshly shed was quite awesome. I'm only assuming that these are the world's first, because I haven't seen any listing for their morph in any guide. They came from Hypo het Sunkissed Ultra parents, which is why I'm positive they're homo hypo. They will both be popped after they've had their first meal.

Up first is the world's first Ginger (Hypo Sunkissed Ultra)!

021-6.jpg

023-Copy.jpg

And now the first Supernova (Hypo Ultra)!

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

018-6.jpg

017-6.jpg

008-6.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
so crazy! the supernova is so bright it looks amel! lol

That's why my fiance wanted to call them "Almost Amels". :laugh: I darn near thought Amel was a hidden het in the parents, until I looked at the belly and saw purple checks. No amel here!

Here's a Hypo Sunkissed sibling for comparison against the Ginger.

025-4.jpg

There's that pretty little traffic cone. And since you've been so helpful, I hope you don't mind if I ask, what exactly does "homo" mean and what is "ultra?" Sorry, not trying to hijack, just a question so I can understand this new creation :)

There's that pretty little traffic cone. And since you've been so helpful, I hope you don't mind if I ask, what exactly does "homo" mean and what is "ultra?" Sorry, not trying to hijack, just a question so I can understand this new creation :)

"Ultra" is a form of Hypo (Hypo D, if I remember correctly). It's origin has been long debated over whether or not it's a hybrid, but most people have conceded that it is pure corn. Hypo, Sunkissed, and Ultra are all different versions of "Hypo", or "Hypomelanism", which decreases the amount of melanin (black pigment), and enhances the erythrin (red pigment).

Now to the difference between "Homozygous" and "Heterozygous". When you see someone say that an animal is "het" for something, it means that the animal has that recessive gene, but is not showing it. So if someone says they have a "normal het amel", it means they have the genes to make an amel, if paired with another animal het for amel, or "homozygous" amel. "Homo/Homozygous" means that the trait is expressed. When people say they have a "lavender corn", it means they have a "homozygous lavender corn" (but that's way too long to say). When I said that I was positive they were "homo hypo", I meant that because both parents were homozygous hypo, it would not be possible for them to not express the hypo gene.

There are a couple of good books out there that will explain it FAR better than I can this late at night while I'm at work. Lol. Kathy Love's book has a wonderful genetics section that can get you started, and if you can track down a copy of the Corn Snake Morph Guide by Chuck Pritzel, that entire book is a wonderful wealth of genetic knowledge. So before I confuse you any further, definitely get out and give those a read! Haha

I have Kathy Love's book and have read it a couple times, I guess it just helps some of this stuff to stick if I hear it broken down with real examples. I know a lot of this that you told me...after I read it and I'm like "duh" I knew that lol. I wasn't sure of the meaning of "homozygous," so now I got that down. I have a hard time remembering some of these words are another form of hypo. Seems like with this genetic stuff one word can mean a combination of other words. It's just hard to keep it all straight in my head. Thank you. I'm going to look into that morph guide.

I would not have expected an Ultra Hypo to be so bright. And the Sunkissed Ultra Hypo as well... SO colorful. I really like the head patterns on Sunkissed's too. They seem to vary so drastically from one to another, and they always appear to be symmetrical from one half of the pattern to the other.

I have Kathy Love's book and have read it a couple times, I guess it just helps some of this stuff to stick if I hear it broken down with real examples. I know a lot of this that you told me...after I read it and I'm like "duh" I knew that lol. I wasn't sure of the meaning of "homozygous," so now I got that down. I have a hard time remembering some of these words are another form of hypo. Seems like with this genetic stuff one word can mean a combination of other words. It's just hard to keep it all straight in my head. Thank you. I'm going to look into that morph guide.

It's all good. :) We've all been newbies at one point or another! You're in good company here. There are quite a few different forms of hypo. Off the top of my head:

Hypo A
Sunkissed
Ultra
Lava
Christmas
Strawberry

Dang it man, one hypo at a time lol. So I'm looking up this morph guide, I want it in print. Hard to find but blue frog exotics has it... never heard of them. I guess if I order with paypal it would be okay.

I would not have expected an Ultra Hypo to be so bright. And the Sunkissed Ultra Hypo as well... SO colorful. I really like the head patterns on Sunkissed's too. They seem to vary so drastically from one to another, and they always appear to be symmetrical from one half of the pattern to the other.

That makes two of us! Haha! I believe Mitch provided a possible explanation in the original pippy thread. These guys were incubated for 91 days, at slightly cooler than normal temperatures. The long incubation has been known to alter color and pattern slightly. But whatever the case may be, the parents of these guys were Serpenco hypos (and incredibly bright ones at that), and I didn't expect anything less than stellar babies to come from them.

Dang it man, one hypo at a time lol. So I'm looking up this morph guide, I want it in print. Hard to find but blue frog exotics has it... never heard of them. I guess if I order with paypal it would be okay.

Okay, forget that, way too expensive for shipping.

There are digital copies available of every guide ever (for $20 total). Not a bad deal if you ask me.

CornGuide

Don Soderberg's book would be a great one to own as well.

Corn Snakes In Captivity

Yeah, I'm mulling over the digital thing, I'd really like to print it out so I can read it whenever. All I have is my laptop and a dinosaur phone, no fancy portable reading gadgets like all the other 25 year olds that I work with have. :sobstory: So now I'll check out that link for Don's book.

Yeah, I'm mulling over the digital thing, I'd really like to print it out so I can read it whenever. All I have is my laptop and a dinosaur phone, no fancy portable reading gadgets like all the other 25 year olds that I work with have. :sobstory: So now I'll check out that link for Don's book.

Buy the digital, print it, hole punch it, and put it in a binder! :p

Buy the digital, print it, hole punch it, and put it in a binder! :p

yeah yeah, I was thinking that too, haven't used my printer in a long time... kinda had to take it apart to rescue a little fence lizard my cat brought in. Wonder if it still works, I'll have to buy ink. So what are you planning to do with your two new creations? Breed them back?

yeah yeah, I was thinking that too, haven't used my printer in a long time... kinda had to take it apart to rescue a little fence lizard my cat brought in. Wonder if it still works, I'll have to buy ink. So what are you planning to do with your two new creations? Breed them back?

Well they're definitely going to be keepers, but as far as future breedings... that's for me to know, and the world to find out. ;) The parents will DEFINITELY be bred again next year, because there needs to be more of these beauties in the world.

Nice, I feel special. I get to talk to all the big time corn snake breeders. Celebrities of the corn snake world. Later on when these are the next big thing, I'm gonna be all smug saying I remember when those first hatched out and I got to talk to the original breeder.

Back