• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I can't maintain the suggested 24-30C daily temp, I can only do about 22-23. Should I

I'm not saying this to be mean, just to let you know: if you keep dismissing and ignoring advice from more knowledgable people, the responses you will get are going to become increasingly negative. Why? Because the vast majority of the snake owners here care deeply about the responsibility we have for these animals and want to give them the best care we possibly can.

I've seen threads here where someone was mistreating their snake, and people become downright confrontational and begin begging the person to surrender their snake to someone who will take better care of it.

You've come to this forum asking for advice. You're getting it very clearly and consistently. For the sake of your snake, please: stop ignoring and/or dismissing it.

Hmm. I don't know what's avaliable in Hungary, but can you get a lamp dimmer switch at the hardware store? Here, a lamp dimmer costs $10-12.
Mine looks like this:
20130712_132751_zpsdebf8333.jpg

Thermostat is definitely better than a rheostat, but if you are watching it enough, I think it works well in the short term.

Obviously, I wrote the "H" and "C" so I would know which way to adjust it. Test it on a lamp to see which direction is on and off. Also, you can see how far down I have to dim it to get it to an acceptable temp. At that level, my thermometer reads 83-84, on that day. The thing about these is that temp fluctuations mean that you may have to adjust it.

Okay, this is getting old. I'm sure I have an extra thermostat lying around here somewhere. How about if I send it to you, for free, and you pay the postage? I don't know how much international shipping to Hungary is, but can you do that?

I shouldn't have to take out of my own pocket to take care of your snake, but I will. You just need to come up with the postage, and most likely, some sort of converter or adapter for European electrical receptacles.

Kathy

Okay, this is getting old. I'm sure I have an extra thermostat lying around here somewhere. How about if I send it to you, for free, and you pay the postage? I don't know how much international shipping to Hungary is, but can you do that?

I shouldn't have to take out of my own pocket to take care of your snake, but I will. You just need to come up with the postage, and most likely, some sort of converter or adapter for European electrical receptacles.

Kathy

Kathy, I am SURE your offer was much appreciated, though!!! :headbang:

It was, I just didn't like the condescending tone. Perhaps I just imagined it though, if that's the case, sorry Kathy and thanks, but I will sort this one out on my own.

It was, I just didn't like the condescending tone. Perhaps I just imagined it though, if that's the case, sorry Kathy and thanks, but I will sort this one out on my own.

I didn't intend for it to come across as condescending - it was more exasperation than anything else. We are all concerned about the long-term health of your snake, and I was willing to send you a nice Johnson Controls thermostat, and a digital thermometer that I'm not using.

As a novice hobbyist, you came on this forum seeking advice, then disagreed with, or ignored just about everyone's suggestions - suggestions that came from people with decades of experience.

I'm sure you figured out that we are a bunch of people very passionate about this hobby. I have never encountered more helpful people anywhere than this forum. It irks us all when people ask for advice, then basically dispute the answers.

I'm glad to hear that you will be getting the things you need to better care for your snake.

Kathy

Back