• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I finally caught one this year.

Cobra Kai

This handsome little garter was just waiting for me to pick him up. I was surprised he was out today, because it was only 50 degrees and cloudy in Boston. I was cutting the lawn and he was sitting motionless on the pea stone patio. I picked him up and he never tried to bite, probably because he was too cold. He did manage to skunk me. They always do that to me. My wife was taking the pictures and asked what that smell was. LOL!

Would you guys say it was a Common Garter (Thamnophis sirtalis) or an Eastern Garter (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis)? I never knew the difference if there is one.

Thanks!
gartersnake10508001smalms3.jpg

gartersnake10508002smallj2.jpg

gartersnake10508006smalyj3.jpg

wow..nice find..haha..I have been trying to find some garters this fall..but none yet here in maine..it may be too cold..but I have found some last year at this temp..werid..
but......... lucky you!=)

Yeah…he/she made my day. I wanted to keep it for my kids (really me - he he), but I figured I better let him go to catch him another day:)

well that was nice of you...I have always wanted a garter for a perm. pet...but never have the heart to keep one for more than a few days...lol..I just feel bad for them, when I take them...

It looks like a Butlers garter to me. We have them here in Michigan and find them quite often.

Here's a pic of one off the Michigan DNR website.

It looks like a Butlers garter to me. We have them here in Michigan and find them quite often.

Here's a pic of one off the Michigan DNR website.

You're right. It does look like a T. butleri. Now I'm really confused. :awcrap: You gave me a great idea though. I found the Massachusetts Fish & Game reptile list at the North American Wildlife Resource Page and it says we only have 2 species of Thamnophis: Eastern Ribbonsnake (T. sauritus) and Common Gartersnake (T. sirtalis). I know it's not a ribbon. I've caught them before. So I guess it's safe to assume my little friend today was a Common. Thanks snakemom1961 for giving me the idea of looking for a state list. I should have done that in the first place.:p The awesome thing on this list I would love to get my hands on is: Eastern Ratsnake (Elaphe obsoleta)…maybe someday.

That's definitely a Common Garter. I found quite a few over the summer, including a pregnant female. Their really great, but if you don't want to get the nastiest stink bomb ever I would suggest holding them gently by the neck and body. They typically aren't aggressive if you hold them right, but they all stink bomb except for the really small babies. Their probably more common where I am, in southern NH, as opposed to Maine or Boston, but I still get really excited every time I see them. Good find!.

That's definitely a Common Garter. I found quite a few over the summer, including a pregnant female. Their really great, but if you don't want to get the nastiest stink bomb ever I would suggest holding them gently by the neck and body. They typically aren't aggressive if you hold them right, but they all stink bomb except for the really small babies. Their probably more common where I am, in southern NH, as opposed to Maine or Boston, but I still get really excited every time I see them. Good find!.
Hey my New England brotha! I actually live north of Boston where garters are pretty common. Have you ever found a Elaphe obsoleta in NH?

No, there are no Black Rat Snakes where I live. But I did find a baby milk snake about a week ago, and I posted pics titled "pics of my incredible find" under general chit chat.

Hey Michael,
Wow...an Eastern Milk!!! I've never found one before. That is a temting keeper. GREAT FIND! Any pictures yet?

A Black Rat Snake is a nice snake. We have them around where I work. None have ever bitten or musked me, one defecated and it didn't smell great but it wasn't musk. The only thing they seem to want is to get away.
They look nice and sleek with a clean white chin. I've seen them with different tones on their bellies; grey to white and grey. Most that I've seen were adults with almost no pattern and they look nicer that way.
I had a wild one for a short time at my house that I was holding for someone who wanted one for breeding. He was nice tempered but struck repeatedly at anything after eating. I don't know if he would have settled into his captive state, he was never picked up so I took him back "home".
Oh, nice Garter! We have Garters all over, sure wouldn't mind finding a Milk Snake.

Here are some photos of the baby Milk Snake. He/She is the first one I've found since I was 10, and the only 2 I've ever seen have been babies. My grandparents had an adult in their kitchen cupboard over the summer, but I never got a chance to see it. It is exciting knowing that their is a poulation somewhere around me, though, because they are SO beautiful!. Enjoy, and I wish you luck in finding one yourself!.
petspics065.jpg

petspics066.jpg

petspics068.jpg

wow! I'm breathless! That snake is absolutely beautiful!

I'm jealous that you get to take the picture :)

Here are some photos of the baby Milk Snake. He/She is the first one I've found since I was 10, and the only 2 I've ever seen have been babies. My grandparents had an adult in their kitchen cupboard over the summer, but I never got a chance to see it. It is exciting knowing that their is a poulation somewhere around me, though, because they are SO beautiful!. Enjoy, and I wish you luck in finding one yourself!.
[/IMG]
Thanks for the awesome photos!

Ok…someone broke it down to me like a fraction on Thamnophis.com. Eastern garters ARE Common garters. There are 12 subspecies of Common garters. So maybe she was an Eastern after all. :crazy02:

Hey Michael,

Check out this great success story about an eastern milk snake this person found. You'll love it!

“I rescued a frostbitten female from a spring freeze. Thought I'd lose her, she was frozen up bad, a major chunk of her tail fell off from it. Yet somehow miraculously not only did she fully recover, but dropped 9 perfect eggs that all hatched. Carmella (The mom) is scarred up, she does not know how to kill mice properly, and they have bit her all over her back. Now that I have her, she eats F/T and has gained a whole bunch of weight (She eats 4+ mice a week since they don't fight back) I won't cross one of her own sons back to her, so I would like to get a male, she already proved herself.”

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/garter-snake-lounge/3957-milk-eggs-hatching.html

My name is actually Ricky, but I have been accidentally posting under my brothers account. Sorry for the confusion. Anyways, thats pretty incredible. I know that they typically start hatching in the fall, which I found strange, because I was wondering how they survived the cold weather so well, being that in New England we can get frost in late September. I was also amazed that he got it to eat a pinkie. I've tried that, but he appears to be too tiny to eat one. I had real hopes of keeping him, and I still might if he eats in the next week or so, but I don't want to risk putting him back too late into the season. I just thought it would be great to have a locally found snake to show people how calm they really are, because people tend to fear snakes around the area. One thing I thought was interesting, too, was that when I found him, he was moving very slowly across the ground, and it made me think that he was a late hatcher, but when I asked my Grandfather, who is a naturalist, he said that it was very typical for them to hatch this late in the year. I was surprised by this, because Garter Snakes tend to hatch towards the end of spring, all the way through the summer. This was definitely the highlight of my reptile finding career, because I almost always just see Garters, with an occasional Red Belly Snake. Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but their are actually two phases of Eastern Milk Snakes. This one is a red-phased, which is identifiable by his red patterns and silvery background color. The other phase is just called an Eastern Milk Snake, so I think it has no phase name, because it's the more common of the two. This phase can be easily identified, because instead of a silvery background color, it will be a very light tan, almost bronzed even, and their patterns will be a slightly darker tan. Almost like a boa constrictors colors. Thats the kind I believe I found when I was 10. I'm not sure if you've ever seen one of them, but they are amazing as well. Thanks for the story, and I will inform you immediately if he eats, and if he does I will definitely send you some progression pics!.

Hey Michael I mean Rickey. Mannnnn...I can't tell to guys apart! :grin01: Just kiddin'. But seriously, I really hope he eats for you soon. I was thinking about the winter dilemma. It's certainly coming fast and furious. But thankfully it's warming up for the weekend. Please keep us posted.
Thanks!

Oh, I will definitely keep you posted. I just tried feeding him a pinkie about an hour ago using various techniques with zero success, but I'm not giving up just yet!. I'm going to leave him in a ventilated tupperware overnight so that he can warm up to the idea of eating, and if that does not work I'll try again tommorrow. It's a little frustrating, but I'm going to give it my best try, because really thats all I can do. I know I've only got a small window of time, but maybe if I focus hard enough it will just happen. Otherwise I'll have no choice, but to let him go. I have faith, though, and it isn't the first time I've had trouble feeding. With my first corn snake, Riddle a Hypo, I had a very wicked hard time trying to feed him in his container, but when I held him firmly suspended in mid-air while dangling a pinkie in front of him he latched on almost instantly. I know this is a bit different, but my point is that I'm going to exercise all options (that is all options that are snake friendly that is). Wish me luck, and I will post again tommorrow with an update. By the way, thanks for that link you had about the Milk Snake. It gave me hope!.

Back