• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I Survived!!

It is amazing how many snake lovers really don't like spiders...I'm not afraid of them exactly, but I wouldn't go out and buy loads lol. You've got courage, I'll give you that.

Drizzt80 said:
Costa Rican Tigerrump (Cyclosternum fasciatum)
I got one of these last summer, but it . . . um, got out . . .

IT GOT OUT!?! If one of my critters every "got out" I'd sure find it quick when I heard the screams from classrooms down the hall! :grin01:

Completely intrigued...

OMG, I LOVE THEM...I had no idea, I just thought they were always black velvet fuzzy looking spiders with lots of junk in the truck but boy was I wrong. The picture of that first spider the Green Bottle Blue, how cool is it that while looking at the picture turn your head to the right and the spiders face and front of the body look like a Lions face...crazy, but I think I am wanting some of these now. I love the mexican orange knee one or whatever that one is called, sorry don't remember the whole name.

How on earth do you get a hold of some of these? They are great and funny it doesn't creep me out...go figure! I didn't get the okay to get one, but maybe I will break VinnyJ down to the agreement of owning one or two or...hhhmmmm by the looks of it the list could go on!!! :) Thanks for sharing the pics, please keep it up! :cheers:

Drizzt80 said:
Usumbara Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus)
This little sonofa bit the paper towel 3 or 4 times on his way out.

I'm guessing that's the reason for the 'Baboon' part of their common name.. *shudders*

They are beautiful, but if I so much as thought one was running about my house I doubt I'd sleep very well.. Behind glass they're fine, so long as they can't touch me. ;)

We have a guy at our reptile shows that does nothing but those sorts of critters also.. I love to look at his table, but I always keep my hands tucked in my pockets. :)

hana

I wanna tarantula!!! :cry: My cousin had a couple when we were kids and I came downstairs with one on each arm to show my mom and the poor woman almost died. I'm glad my husband loves them, though! I think we are going to take the plunge this year and get one or two. I've been doing my homework and have bookmarked my fave breeder's site online, plus I know of a few local breeders. I love the cobalts, but I'm looking at skeletons and Mexican bloodlegs. I also reaaally like Pterinochilus murinus, Mombassa Golden Starburst. Someday....someday....

PS...yours are incredible!!

Chris Olson said:
They are cuddly-wuddly, right?
Um, yeah, that's his 'hug me' pose! :grin01: When I moved him to his new cage, he was attacking the side of the deli cup with much the same force as a twink of the finger . . . :eek1:

JenC & curiousL said:
Where did you get them?
Charles Black of BotarBy8's. Chose him because he had all 6 tarantulas that I wanted, of reasonable size (not too small, not too big) of an exceptionally reasonable price.

carol said:
If nothing else, it makes me sympathetic to people who are afraid of snakes. Sometimes there is just no way to "reason away" fear. I've tried to be rational about it, using the same speech I use talking to people fearful of snakes, it just doesn't work.
And that's exactly why I have them! I ask many of my students every year to let me help them overcome their fear of snakes. I have to practice what I preach. I just need someone around here that will help me overcome my fear of spiders. Right now I have to self-teach myself. I think I'm slowly working up the nerve to handle that B.smithi . . . :puke01:

PnyKlr said:
. . . heard the screams from classrooms down the hall!
That does sound vaguely familar . . . :eek1:

cka said:
Sooo...which ones move real slow?...shudders...
From what I understand, New World species. The Mexican Red Knee is a slow mover. Rose Hair . . . Skeleton Knee . . . Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head right now. Taceas probably knows better than I.

hana said:
Behind glass they're fine, so long as they can't touch me. ;)
Ditto! :grin01:

To those I didn't quote . . .thanks for the comments! I feel a little better about being afraid of them though I believe it's on a different level than Dean's wussy glove fetish . . . :sidestep: :grin01:
D80

Big congrats on your newest acquisitions! You certainly seem quite excited about them, which is a good thing...I guess :)

There's something to the fact that a corn's bite contains no venom and is nearly harmless. The fact that a tarantula bite may not kill me does little to ease my mind.

I have to say that I'm in with the crowd that finds them very interesting, but I've never given a single thought to owning one (nor will I...ever!).

Drizzt80 said:
Charles Black of BotarBy8's.
That's the same guy that comes to the shows.. He seems like he really knows what he's doing. Very nice guy also..

hana

Back