• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Introducing my children to the passion I had as a child

sparkplug

Hi all,

I just adopted a lavender/candy cane corn snake for my kids. I have always had a love of snakes and it seems that they are intrigued by them as well. I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and had a question as well. What should the exact humidity be for this snake? I have a substrate of aspen and just mist his aquarium/substrate 2 times a day. Seems like the humidity is around 60%. Here is a picture of the little girl. She is 9 months old and around 2 feet long.

cornsnakelira.jpg

Hi there :D welcome to the forum, thanks for the pic, what a beautiful little snake. You probably only need to mist the cage once a day. Not sure exactly but 40-50% humidity should be fine.

Beautiful snake! You really don't need to mist at all, except maybe when the snake is getting ready to shed.

Wow! Quick replies and warm welcome as well. This is not just another dead forum. Thanks for all of the compliments and help.

I love snakes and I am fortunate to travel to tropical places to play with wild snakes as well. I have seen and caught-eyelash vipers, cobras, Fer DE Lances, boas, pythons, yellow bellied black snakes, hog nosed pit vipers, and so on.........I see others here have a love for this as well. I look forward to being an active participant on this forum. Here is a pic of a baby Fer De Lance that I caught the other day and released unharmed. Oh and for the experts out there (I am not) the corn snake is a TH Hypo Lavender C.C. Elaphe Guttata guttata.

This is as close as I wanted to get with my 100mm lens.

bestterc.jpg

Wow, what an exciting hobby (job?) you have! And what pretty photos, I'm not sure which baby I like better....
Welcome and enjoy!

Wow, what an exciting hobby (job?) you have! And what pretty photos, I'm not sure which baby I like better....
Welcome and enjoy!

Thank you for the kind words. I prefer the corn because it doesn't require medical attention if bitten. I spend most of my free time in Costa Rica at the moment and carry anti venom in a powder/liquid form that treats 17 out of the 19 venomous snakes in my area, in which all are of the Bothrox family. I only have to worry about the coral snake with rear fangs (not really a problem) and the Bush Master that can create more of a problem.

So what job gets you traveling the world to "play with wild snakes?" Nice photos of both snakes!

Thanks again for the compliments. It is just a hobby. I travel close to the equator for other jobs (I am a sport fishing Captain and do some primary rain forest reforestration....we tag and release most of our fish for research and replant rare species of trees. I spend my spare time looking for snakes and taking macro photography of insects.

I found this guy the other day. Does anyone have any idea what he is? He was found in the Southwestern Pacific side of Costa Rica.

P1050432.jpg

P1050425.jpg

Steph what in the Hel! are you doing up at this ungodly hour?

I am helping Kristi make graphs for her meetings presentation next week. But I am going to bed now. :)

Thanks again for the compliments. It is just a hobby. I travel close to the equator for other jobs (I am a sport fishing Captain and do some primary rain forest reforestration....we tag and release most of our fish for research and replant rare species of trees. I spend my spare time looking for snakes and taking macro photography of insects.

I found this guy the other day. Does anyone have any idea what he is? He was found in the Southwestern Pacific side of Costa Rica.

Sport fishing, huh? That sounds fun. I'm a little surprised to hear that a sport fishing Captain releases most of his fish for research. Perhaps I know nothing about sport fishing. Regardless, I am intrigued . . .

I'm sure someone here will be able to ID your snake. But if not, I have a Tico friend who leads ecotourism trips in Costa Rica/Nicaragua that I can ask.

I am helping Kristi make graphs for her meetings presentation next week. But I am going to bed now. :)

Sport fishing, huh? That sounds fun. I'm a little surprised to hear that a sport fishing Captain releases most of his fish for research. Perhaps I know nothing about sport fishing. Regardless, I am intrigued . . .

I'm sure someone here will be able to ID your snake. But if not, I have a Tico friend who leads ecotourism trips in Costa Rica/Nicaragua that I can ask.

About sportfishing.....we catch marlin and sailfish and tag them with NOAA identification #s. The size, location, and date are sent to NOAA and coincide with the number that is on the tag. I don't know anyone who doesn't release marlin and sailfish unless they are tournament fishing or commercial fishing. They are majestic creatures of the deep and not good table food. I think only an armature would bring one in these days to take a picture of it hanging dead. It is just not politically correct as of now. Sometimes things change for the best, as is the case here.

Thanks for the offer to ask your Tico friend. I have an employee who used to be a guide for Manual Antonio National Park in C.R. and he was with me at the time and actually was the one who spotted it. He mumbled some local name, but he was not sure because of the coloration being different than he had ever seen. Hopefully someone on this board or your friend will know for sure.

Welcome aboard the CS.com crazy train. lol I'm sure you'll love it here and so will your kids.

I have to admit that your snake doesn't appear to be a hypo lavender. I'm not sure what TH means, unless has something to do with the snake being het for hypo lavender, carrying the genes but not expressing them. Its a beautiful snake regardless. Love the colour.

Last edited:
The first thing that sprung to mine with the unidentified snake was a "beautiful viper" - a name we saw on a plaque in a reptile house. The coloration is what seems so similiar to me, but I am a novice when it comes to venomous snakes. I cannot even remember what area of the world the "beautiful viper" was from offhand.

You have some wonderful photographs though and I for one am definately looking forward to more from your adventures!

I do also agree with dionythicus - your cornsnake appears to be a lovely colored normal or possibly even along the lines of a "miami phase" which is a line bred normal. It may be carrying the hets for lavender and "candy cane" (which is a line bred amel).

Wow! Quick replies and warm welcome as well. This is not just another dead forum.

It sure isn't!!

I love the pics! Like Katie says, Beautiful Viper sounds familiar. I think we saw one at St. Augustine Alligator Farm. (Sounds boring, but they have a representative of every crocodillian in the world!!)

It sure isn't!!

I love the pics! Like Katie says, Beautiful Viper sounds familiar. I think we saw one at St. Augustine Alligator Farm. (Sounds boring, but they have a representative of every crocodillian in the world!!)

It might have been at the Central Florida Zoo reptile house....I don't think I got a pic of it but Robbie may have....

About sportfishing.....we catch marlin and sailfish and tag them with NOAA identification #s. The size, location, and date are sent to NOAA and coincide with the number that is on the tag. I don't know anyone who doesn't release marlin and sailfish unless they are tournament fishing or commercial fishing. They are majestic creatures of the deep and not good table food. I think only an armature would bring one in these days to take a picture of it hanging dead. It is just not politically correct as of now. Sometimes things change for the best, as is the case here.
Cool. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the offer to ask your Tico friend. I have an employee who used to be a guide for Manual Antonio National Park in C.R. and he was with me at the time and actually was the one who spotted it. He mumbled some local name, but he was not sure because of the coloration being different than he had ever seen. Hopefully someone on this board or your friend will know for sure.

Ahh. Manuel Antonio is a nice place. I wouldn't mind being on the beach there right now, in fact!

Welcome aboard the CS.com crazy train. lol I'm sure you'll love it here and so will your kids.

I have to admit that your snake doesn't appear to be a hypo lavender. I'm not sure what TH means, unless has something to do with the snake being het for hypo lavender, carrying the genes but not espressing them. Its a beautiful snake regardless. Love the colour.

Thanks for telling me about my kid's corn not being what I was told. I will take some more pics of it tomorrow for y'all to help me figure out what it may be. It really is not that important to them, just that they love it is suffice.
It is strange that the seller gave the wrong info. He was a pleasure to do business with and is very helpful. He normally deals with other types of snakes so maybe he got confused or was given false info. on the parents when he acquired them. Once we figure out what she could possibly be I'll talk to him and try and get pics of the parents.

The first thing that sprung to mine with the unidentified snake was a "beautiful viper" - a name we saw on a plaque in a reptile house. The coloration is what seems so similiar to me, but I am a novice when it comes to venomous snakes. I cannot even remember what area of the world the "beautiful viper" was from offhand.

You have some wonderful photographs though and I for one am definately looking forward to more from your adventures!

I do also agree with dionythicus - your cornsnake appears to be a lovely colored normal or possibly even along the lines of a "miami phase" which is a line bred normal. It may be carrying the hets for lavender and "candy cane" (which is a line bred amel).

I googled beautiful viper and didn't get much. My farmer in Costa Rica was a guide for many years and he was certain that it was not venomous.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics and I'll try and post some better ones in the future. Also thanks for possibilities on what our new corn snake could be.

Those are some really cool pics of all of the creatures! I am pretty sure that is not the same snake though just because I remember that little guy quite well and it doesn't seem to be the same. Very close none the less and of course I could be wrong for the millionth time.

Like I said before, I'll take some more pics of the little girl "Lyra" ( the corn )for everyone to decide what we may have.

Again, thanks for all of the replies!

Back