• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is he just: (a) SHY, (b) a DUD, (c) a SHE?

I hope everything works out great for you! Rose-the one that escaped was the one i orginally bought for my niece she was almost 5 yrs old at the time now 8 yrs old. She was thrilled to have her Rose back and so was I. Rose was just barely 1yr old corn snake when she escaped her enclosure. So I'm really lucky to have gotten her back.

As far as the RI goes, when corn snakes get one they increase their activity a lot, I know my male Bindi was active day and night almost none stop for a long long time, and the whizzing and crackiling sounds or gaping of the mouth is also signs to watch out for. If you ever notice those types of signs take yr snake to a vet asap because RI's are sometimes deadly if not taken care of quickly.

Thanks again!
King Wrath is probably around 5 or 6 years old, we adopted him from folks who didn't want him anymore. He is awesome though, I hope to upload some pictures soon. I'm pretty sure that if he was sick, he is well again, because he hasn't done the yawning thing in a week, and he is back to his old self in every way. He was definitely disappointed last night with only one f/t! I feed in the viv - please, no lectures, people! :) , and an hour after eating he came back out of his hide and coiled himself all around the little glass dish the mouse had been in, as if he could squeeze some more prey out of it. These creatures never cease to amaze me with their antics! :)
Cheers
Rob

Feeding in viv is not a hot subject here. That is something that is definitely a personal choice. Many people here do feed in viv's because they find it easier. I don't, I find it easier to pull everyone out and put them in the feeding tubs so I can spot clean and change out water while they are busy. You do have the risk of ingestion of the substrate when feeding in the viv but you can minimize those by drying the mouse good or feeding on a paper towel.

I feed all my corn snakes inside their vivs....I just dry the mice off really well with paper towels before putting them in there. None of mind seem to think my hand is a food item either. They are pretty relaxed, even at feeding time.

Me too! Plus I use aspen chips lately and they are larger and less likely to get in the mouth anyway. These chips seem to hold tunnels well, so the snakes can reuse the tunnels they created to their subterranean caves!

Yeah really, I read a lot about the hand thing, I just try not to get the mouse stink on my hands! :)
My snakes come to my hand when I open their viv, some more eagerly than others. My two year old female Lucy RUNS into my hands. :)
I'm not against picking up a reluctant snake, but whenever possible, I let them choose to come to me. I usually have a couple minutes to wait for them if necessary, but after doing this a while, they seem to become more happy to see me.
At least I have become conditioned to believe so! :)

Mine are all very sweet and tame, and so docile in nature. They are all use to youngins meaning young children holding them and doing whatever to them.They've gotten so use to being handled I'm not too concerned with any of them. The one's I have to be a little bit more concened with are the babies, they are just more typically jumpy and flightly that they do get spooked alot more quickly so I do have to be careful with them. I had one about two weeks old , fly right out of my hands onto the floor in my bedroom get away from me, and I never found him. I would have gotten it back if I hadn't had so much around me to keep me from being able to get up and move around in my room quick enough to get him back. But it got away for good. :( I had like 20 containers all around me on the bed, and on the floor, plus it went behind my mini freezer which had a lot of things sitting on top of it...so I couldn't just move it away from the wall so quickly...it really stinks when you lose one and don't get it back.

UPDATE!!! The answer is: (drumroll please) :)

(c) a SHE !!!!!

And she's knocked up!! :)
Woohoo Gonna have some baby snakies!!!!!

Thanks! And my 2 year diffuse male is proving to be quite the "female-positive-I.D.-machine" :)
2 days ago, I decided to try him with our 3 yr amel female. He immediately said, "Hey there is ladies here!" After leaving him 2 days, we witnessed copulation this morning. So I took her out and put our "Unproven Male" in there. Within 20 minutes, they were locked up!
I made the decision based on sexing by sub-caudal scale count, and it worked for me!!!! :)

Congratulations! Now you have a Queen Wrath! :)

Thanks! Yes, we consider her to be Queen Wrath now (unless the kids want to rename her)! She's certainly big enough to be a queen. :) The male was only 60% of her length.

I have pics but will need time for uploading soon...

Here's an update! Queen Wrath, our 55 inch normal corn with unknown hets, was rescued from a home where she was no longer loved. The former owners assumed it was a male. We found out she was a female!

Now she is beginning her second day inside the laybox under her sphagnum. How long will she stay in there? She has positioned herself that she can see out the clear box, and watches us as we go about our business, but she remains essentially motionless since yesterday. Is this normal so far?

Thanks!
Rob

It usually takes 10 to 12 days for them to lay after the prelay shed. But as with everything there are exceptions to this rule.

Thank you SIR! :) (Congrats, BTW!)
Yep, it's day 13, we are very excited.

She had been spending more and more time around the box the last 2 weeks, but she has now been inside, coiled under the moss for the second day. Does that sound typical? How long does the actual laying process take?

Thank you SIR! :) (Congrats, BTW!)
Yep, it's day 13, we are very excited.

She had been spending more and more time around the box the last 2 weeks, but she has now been inside, coiled under the moss for the second day. Does that sound typical? How long does the actual laying process take?

Your welcome and thank you. It can vary depending upon the size of the eggs, the health and stamina of the female and other unseen complications. My last female laid hers in a few hours and the one before her took over a day. Once she starts laying just give her space and carefully check on her after a few hours. You can usually look and see where they eggs are in relation to the vent so if she lays some and 24 hours are past keep a close eye on her and after that I would have her looked at. I have one that should be laying in the next couple days but last I checked on her the eggs have not made it all the way to the vent. Best of luck with it.

NOW I SEE EGGS! There is a lot of moss... She may still be at it, or she may be done...

How do I know? Do they ever hang out with the eggs after they are done?

Somebody hold my hand!!! : )

NOW I SEE EGGS! There is a lot of moss... She may still be at it, or she may be done...

How do I know? Do they ever hang out with the eggs after they are done?

Somebody hold my hand!!! : )

You can see when the eggs are all out usually. Yes at times they will want to stay there a bit and can get a little testy when you steal the eggs. Congrats!!!
Remember when you move the eggs not to turn them. The way they end up after being laid is the way they should stay.

Last edited:
OK great! Thanks a lot!!!
She must have had them in there for a while then, as they are pretty well hidden and I was giving her a lot of space. I am going to go ahead and plug in the incubator now!
I will check her out, and get back when we have more news.
Thanks again!

Back