• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is heat necessary?

There are ideals for each corn's body and current condition, and having a gradient allows them to find that ideal themselves. So IMO a gradient is better than not. It's definitely not necessary for corns, but all other things being equal, I would certainly choose the setup with the gradient. :)

I know people who keep their corns in a temp controlled room with no manufactured gradient...

Ask CornCrazy...I believe she has a snake room with heat and ac (Much like what you are doing, Paul...only hers is in her house)...and keeps it at a steady temp...no belly heat...no artificial gradient.

She is definitely successful with her corns...

Serpwidgets said:
There are ideals for each corn's body and current condition, and having a gradient allows them to find that ideal themselves. So IMO a gradient is better than not. It's definitely not necessary for corns, but all other things being equal, I would certainly choose the setup with the gradient. :)

This does make quite a bit of sense...
I have corns in a rack with back heat...
Some stay primarily in the back...some in the middle...and I have a couple that like to hang out right up front where it is coolest...
Thing is...they don't do it according to level on the rack (top being warmer than the bottom)...it is mixed throughout, with those prone to keeping cool alongside those that are prone to keeping warm...

Hmm . . . so maybe it's like people . . . hubby and I are always fighting the thermostat war - I turn it up, he turns it down. LOL I guess I'd be stressed if I had to live in a box where the temp was never right for me . . . actually I worked in an office like that once. And a snake can't put on a sweater, soooo, I guess having different temps so the snake has a better chance of finding it's own right temp would be best. I ordered flexwatt for the rack hubby has built me, woulda been bummed if it were not necessary.

Belly Heat

I was wondering why my snakes always lay on the heated section of their enclosure after eating? Then moving back and forth till said meal is expelled.Maybe I should turn the heat off and see if they still digest their food as well without the belly heat.

if you wanted to experiment, you could use a rheostat and just turn the heat down a notch.

but I agree with Derek. Don't turn the heat off completely. don't want to make that much of a change. Especially after eating.

Back