• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this a real Petco policy?

I only have one snake who insists on live no matter what and I cant house rodents. Plus you have to pay admission. I really want to switch him. Might I have more luck with a rat pup?

I only have one snake who insists on live no matter what and I cant house rodents. Plus you have to pay admission. I really want to switch him. Might I have more luck with a rat pup?
if you didn't need live Wheaton is great, you can get 50 fuzzies for $25 plus $5 to get in... worth every penny if you ask me... add up a total of 50 fuzzies from petco and the difference in $ is probably pretty nice... that way you don't need to see that ass at petco again lol. Not only that you get to see a ton of cool snakes.

Yeah, the prices are great at the Wheaton show for f/t. I got a bag of 50 crawlers for $20 and a bag of 50 pinks for $10. Isn't that like 2 cents each? Very cheap.

50 fuzzies for $25 isn't too cheap because you can get 100 for $30 there. Dan, did you really only pay $10 for 50 pinks though? That's $0.20 a piece which is definitely a bargain. I thought I was getting them for a steal at $0.25 a piece.

tyflier;1299878[saracsm said:
How disrespectful do you have to be to turn a conversation about someone's experience at a PetCo into a personal discussion about geckos. This is neither the time nor the place for such insulting and disrespectful conversations. This topic is ONLY about live animals being bought and sold to people under 18. How DARE you try to have a conversation![/sarcasm]

:rolleyes: :shrugs:

*aims and throws a flaming bag of poop at*

Happy Easter or Merry Birthday! :nyah:

You very well could. You could also try my Frozen-Thaw-Howto and see if that works (I can PM it to you if you're interested), or even try waiting the snake out. Offer it f/t every week or so and even let it sit over night until it takes it; it should get hungry enough to take it then.

Well the vendor said $15 and I only had $10 so he sold for $10. It was really nice of him.

Indeed! Wish there was at least a nice yearly expo in Reno. The closest one that catches my attention is the San Diego Super Show.

Petco doesn't sell feeder mice in general, at least the one I worked out. They claimed to care about the "humanity of animals" and refused to sell live mice as food even though they sold live crickets. They only sold mice as pets...the snake food had to be frozen/prekilled.

Petco doesn't sell feeder mice in general, at least the one I worked out. They claimed to care about the "humanity of animals" and refused to sell live mice as food even though they sold live crickets. They only sold mice as pets...the snake food had to be frozen/prekilled.

That had to have been the store you worked at. Because at the one I work at, most of our rodent sales are as snake food.

Our Petco prefers that you not buy the rodents for food too, though they won't refuse to sell it. They will probably try and talk you into F/T, if they are aware of why you are buying it. They pretty much ask what it's for, if you are buying feeders or anything that is commonly used as a feeder.

I always ask, and then tell them the benefits of feeding F/T. I personally would prefer not to sell live for food, but most of the people that seem to think they are feeding live, actually pre-kill the mice and rats before feeding to their snakes.

They will probably try and talk you into F/T, if they are aware of why you are buying it.
Exactly. They told people that it was cruel to the mouse and potentially harmful for the snake because the risk of your snake getting bitten, etc. I do remember the frozen food being ridiculously high. I think it was one pinky for $1.75 or something??? The pet door down the street has em for something like $0.87/each? Crazy.

Petsmart is the one that is such a Nazi about the mice. In a perfect world, every snake would readily eat f/t but the grim reality is that the occasional snake will be extremely picky for unknown reasons and require live prey. It isn't cruel, it's just realistic.

I've had pet rats in the past and they are incredible animals but I don't see the appeal of mice as pets. Most people who buy pet mice from Petco are probably "rescuing" them from becoming snake food.

Our Petco at least isn't too two faced about it, they have told me that they don't even try to get their BPs on anything other than live because typically they are harder to get switched than they want to deal with. So while they will try and get you to consider F/T, most snake keepers in Idaho seem not to have heard of it, they understand a picky snake.

Yeah Petco and Petsmart have jacked up the costs of f/t SO MUCH. It's cheaper for me to buy from RodentPro even without sharing the order than it is to go down the street to one of those.

Yes, I thought this was company policy for both Petco and Petsmart!!

Am I wrong in this view. Do any of the sell live feeders??

Yes, I thought this was company policy for both Petco and Petsmart!!

Am I wrong in this view. Do any of the sell live feeders??

Well, they sell live mice, hamsters, rats, and guinea pigs, so technically they sell live feeders. And if f/t are more expensive than live, you can bet that I would be buying a new "pet mouse" every week, if that were my option. They would swear that I had a whole community of mice. No one ever said you have to tell them the truth when they ask why you are buying a mouse...

When I have gotten mice or rats the lay always tells me FT are better. They're frozen thawed looks like crap and I tell her I always pre-kill my mice and rats. I need to order some f/t tonight anyway, so no more Petco, or work rodents!

Well, they sell live mice, hamsters, rats, and guinea pigs, so technically they sell live feeders. And if f/t are more expensive than live, you can bet that I would be buying a new "pet mouse" every week, if that were my option. They would swear that I had a whole community of mice. No one ever said you have to tell them the truth when they ask why you are buying a mouse...

If I remember right their live ""pet" where more expensive than a Mom and Pop store farther up the road from me. And I can get pinky - adults from them.

Back