• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is this a tessera?

Senusenu

I've been looking at this guy for nearly 2 months now and finally messaged the breeder to see if he was still available.

He is listed as anery motley, and is a yearling. One parent was also tessera, and the breeder is unsure if he is simply anery motley, or anery motley tessera, so has him priced as a motley. I have asked for the parents' full genetics, or his hets/possible hets so I can read up and research some more and decide if I want to get him.

In the meantime I was wondering if people with waaayyy more experience than me could shed any light, or their best informed opinions on him. I am not familiar enough to recognise any subtle markers. I've looked up photos of all kinds of motley and tessera mixes trying to figure it out, but it's not shed any light on the issue for me yet.

tess1_zps69255271.jpg

tess5_zps14911d55.jpg

tess3_zps8d663787.jpg

tess4_zps18ec43ca.jpg

tess2_zps261b0fb1.jpg

Help appreciated :)

Nope, that's 100% not a tessera, does appear to be a motley, and does appear to have a little attitude! :)

I retract my comment, I previously looked from my phone.
Looking at the stripe at the neck looks Tessera-ish to me.
This one might actually be a Motley Tessera.

For what it's worth, I looked through this breeder's other motley and ghost snakes (both in collection and sold) and did not see any others that had that neck where the head markings continue that far. There were several where the first marking continued for a bit, but they were separated from the head. Honestly though, I think the markers between the two are still up for debate and breeding trials remain the only sure way to tell at this point.
This may help, or leave you more confused http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132131&highlight=tessera

If he's only priced as a motley, I think you should get him and test breed him. He is very pretty but I don't have enough experience to guess what he is.

You know I have actually had my eye on this baby since the day he hatched. I think it is plausible that he is a motley tessera however until bred we have no way of knowing if he is in fact a tessera. I have a little motley that came from a tessera breeding and appeared to be a motley tessera, I bred him this year and he proved to just be a motley so really who knows. A lot of these motley and stripe tesseras are now coming to breeding age so I really think we will be learning more over the next few years.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell if a snake is motley tessera without doing a test breeding to something with no motley heritage at all.

Wouldn't a tessera have a mostly full central stripe, even if it was a motley? Maybe a bit wider than a normal tessera? Thought I read that somewhere?

TBH I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty what a typical motley tessera looks like. Since babies that were bred a few years ago are now of breeding age maybe we will can get an idea of what a typical motley tessera looks like.

You really have to remember that tessera is still kind of new and knowing how other pattern mutations work and don't work with tessera is still in the learning faze. I personally think we have a lot more breeding trials to do before we can say for sure what a typical motley tessera looks like and we may never be able to tell without test breeding.

Looks like just a motley. Look how some of the blotches starting midway in the body are able to connect to the side pattern, I feel like that would not occur if it were motley and tessera.

Interesting, looking at Steve's babies and the photo he linked to of a baby motley tessera from SMR I guess I am wrong to expect all the saddles to be fused.

Also that cross-shaped blotch (the first one after the neck stripe) might be promising?

Someone needs to get him, test him, and report back. I would not 100% rule it out. The side pattern bothers me a little, for motley.

(They seem to more often have a less interrupted side stripe and those cross shaped blotches, which is why I'm wondering if one of the parents could be het stripe?)

Hi all! I figured I'd chime in since this is my snake "Erebus"
His sire was my ghost motley het stripe, Prometheus. His dame was Tesoro, a tessera from Chip Bridges. Tesoro proved het stripe so I believe this snake is also.
The clutch was a small one, there were two motleys, two stripes, an anery, and a hypo. The more promising of the two stripes (as far as maybe being a tessera) is my keeper. The other stripe was clearly not tessera with a vanishing pattern. I also held back the other motley from this pairing. I need to take better pics of Erebus' motley sister.
There are several new motleys now up on iherp fathered by the same male to compare him to if anybody wants to (2014 babies)
I suppose I should have just advertised this snake as an anery motley het hypo but I did want the new owner to have the genetic background and know that based on the parentage and how little we know about motley and tessera combos, there as a possibility the snake could be tessera motley. I am not saying it is, or isn't, and it's priced low.
Text of my ad:
Male anery motley from a tessera mom and possibly tessera motley, he's priced as just anery motley so this could be a deal! He should breed next year. Feisty boy as you can see in pic
I would love to have the capacity to breed unlimited corns and if I did I would surely breed this guy for the purpose of testing out this combo as the info could be useful. But I have to limit myself to projects that matter most to me.
At the very least this snake will make really nice ghost mots (maybe stripes)
Pics below are of:

Dame
Pairing
My keeper striped sibling

Jen Pagram

Attachments

• Tesoro.jpg
    Tesoro.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Prommy X Tesoro.jpg
    Prommy X Tesoro.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 77
  • Cthulu.jpg
    Cthulu.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for chiming in Jen. Prometheus is so pretty and I normally am not into ghosts. So I guess this opens the possibilities and he could also be a motley/stripe non tess?

Duxor I am pretty sure he is het stripe since that is the het his mom had. And he's definitely motley. The question I guess is whether being motley/stripe masks tessera, or not. It needs to be tested (or at least known to new buyer)

Back