• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

just got this guy from craigslist

Senusenu

20140223_010101_zpsaqtkmcbb.jpg

What do you think? About 4.5 feet. Docile, but a little jumpy inside the bin. The guy I got him from was afraid of him, said he'd gotten him hoping to get over his fear of snakes, but over time he started just dropping his mice into the tank, so the snake got snippy when reaching into the viv, which lead to him being more afraid of handling him. He seems in good shape, nice and solid. I don't think he's underweight. I'll be letting him settle for a week or so before attempting to feed.

I know he's amel, but otherwise I'm not sure what his specific morph might be.

He looks like a Fire Corn, he has beautiful colors! My first corn was a Fire, and I love her.

The pattern is more pronounced than I would expect in a fire, but there are some diffused that don't show a whole lot of diffusion. What little I can see of the sides do look like there may be some diffusion going on.

He is handsome. Good find!

20140223_125549_zpssijjs21w.jpg

20140223_125651_zpswun0qxaa.jpg

20140223_125603_zpstter7hvb.jpg

20140223_125701_zpsq7lpfwzq.jpg

20140223_125730_zpstkbmdgcl.jpg

20140223_125839_zpsdf4ksuyk.jpg

20140223_125746_zps5zc4ldcg.jpg

On closer inspection, I think he is a bit thin. His backbone is noticeable, but not horribly so. I'll get some bigger mice for him toward the end of the week and work on fattening him up. I forgot to weigh him, and since he's a bit twitchy right now, I want to let him cool off. He did try to tag me when I picked him up, so he's probably stressed. Once I held him, he was pretty chill, though.

Looks like a nice snake! As you say, if s/he's thin it's not horribly so.
I do feel kind of conflicted when I hear about people getting snakes in order to overcome their fear... not that it can't work, it just seems odd to me.
But glad you stepped in and got such a nice find online :) doesn't happen too often, I don't think!

Maybe the camera is exaggerating it, but the spine looks very pronounced in the last pic. Like, sickly/dehydrated bad. In the other shots, he looks to have good mass, though. :confused:

Thanks Chip, I'll take your opinion on that since you are far more experienced than I am. Looking at the second to last pic, on the left side, the spine does look more pronounced as well. When I weigh him, I'll post it and see what you think. My snakes look fairly round compared to him. The owner did say the last box of f/t he got was the wrong size, I forget what, but I think he said fuzzies.

He mentioned feeding about every 3 weeks, which is a bit long, so he may have been underfed for a while. If he was chronically underfed, I imagine that could account somewhat for his being snappish.

I do feel kind of conflicted when I hear about people getting snakes in order to overcome their fear... not that it can't work, it just seems odd to me.
But glad you stepped in and got such a nice find online :) doesn't happen too often, I don't think!

Fear was one of the reasons I got my first snake. Charisma and Frostbite. Charisma was a great first little hatchling. She is my sweet heart. I now have so many snakes. Mia, my little okeetee, bit me today.

I agree, getting what you are afraid of isn't a great way to "overcome" the fear, but being able to visit a snake would have been a much better solution.

My last three kids were Craigslist "rescues", I am so lucky to have found great snakes that needed a good home from people who really didn't want them anymore. Too many "throw-away" pets in this world, I am glad you gave this one a good home.

I actually think getting a snake is an excellent way to get over a fear of snakes. A lot of fears have their root in the unknown, so having a snake in your home that you see every day is going to desensitize a person. If, however, a person is so afraid they can't properly take care of the snake and there is no one else doing it, that isn't good for the snake.

I'm surprised no one commented on your belly shots. If he was just amel, he should have some light belly checkers, like the snake in this thread:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135251
or in this photo of an amel ventral from Ian's corn morph guide:
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/amelanistic/pics/amelanistic-v.jpg

In your photos, it looks like the belly if free of checkers. Out of the possibilities I can think of, I guess a not-very-diffused fire is the most likely. Maybe someone with a better eye for that will chime in.

I agree his backbone is a little more prominent than it should be. Good to hear you've already noticed this and are taking steps to correct it.

He definitely doesn’t have belly checks. The color is creamy with the reddish/orangish color seeping in here and there.

I was thinking of giving him a rat to get some fat in him quickly, but from what I read, they might go off mice if I do. What's the best way to get his weight up healthily?

If you feed him what he should be eating (so an adult mouse, on the larger size every 10-ish days) should get him there slowly. You don't want to rush things, in my opinion.

If you feed him what he should be eating (so an adult mouse, on the larger size every 10-ish days) should get him there slowly. You don't want to rush things, in my opinion.

Righty-o, I will get him on adult mice! I am looking forward to watching him gain weight on a proper feed schedule.

Righty-o, I will get him on adult mice! I am looking forward to watching him gain weight on a proper feed schedule.

I have an old-school Composition book and keep records on all my snakes. I record their weight before feeding, what I offered (crossed off if they don't eat it), if they are blue, when they shed, anything out of the ordinary. It is interesting to go back and compare when they were just 25g and now are almost 200!

There is a computer program someone posted to keep all this info too, I am a pen and paper girl, but whatever is easiest for you.

Back