• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lady Marley - The Dutches

Desertstrike

Music for the People
163350_216979251773997_46421658_n.jpg
&
538072_216979281773994_172378306_n.jpg

My new girl, Lady Marley aka The Dutchess.
Bought her yesterday, fed today, since she was begging.
Amel Motley, approx 3years, female - given birthday 10.05.2010

She was labelled as an Amel Motley
It's already been rubbed in that she's underweight and I don't know if she's been bred recently. They got her in with a collection they had been given, so there is no history.
The meal went down just fine, and was digested extremely quickly - so she was fine with it.

I'll take this down later.

I read in your other thread you were going for 4-day feeding intervals? I'd honestly recommend weekly feeding rather than more frequent, you don't want to risk her regurging.

She was labelled as an Amel Motley
It's already been rubbed in that she's underweight and I don't know if she's been bred recently. They got her in with a collection they had been given, so there is no history.
The meal went down just fine, and was digested extremely quickly - so she was fine with it.

I'll take this down later.

My question was not intended to be taken as judgemental or snotty!!
Just a simple question. ;)

No need to take it down man :)

Doesn't look like an amel motley...Heck it doesn't look like a corn on this monitor lol, would love to see some other pics. Everyone is a new keeper at some point. A lot of sites wouldn't have even bothered answering, so stick around :*)...

Okay, well, she is definitely NOT an Amel of any description, even though I was told she was. Her pupil is BLACK, to my knowledge, an Amels' pupil is RED, so I'm sorry about that...
Erm, weight wise, she is fine, I'll see how she is when I get home tomorrow, she was meant to be fed today, but I haven't since I stressed her with a check-up today. I will update a few photos soon

I'd have to agree I'm not even sure if she's a corn just looking at the picture it doesn't seem right. Maybe a hybrid but definitely not a corn at least in my opinion.

Okay, well, she is definitely NOT an Amel of any description, even though I was told she was. Her pupil is BLACK, to my knowledge, an Amels' pupil is RED, so I'm sorry about that...
Erm, weight wise, she is fine, I'll see how she is when I get home tomorrow, she was meant to be fed today, but I haven't since I stressed her with a check-up today. I will update a few photos soon
Please don't feed more often than weekly, if there are no underlying problems she'll gain weight just fine. If the shop say they were giving her an adult mouse every 4 days they are either lying or she's got problems, such as parasites. No healthy adult corn would be that thin on that feeding schedule. Taking a fresh poo sample to your vet and getting a fecal done if she doesn't gain weight would be a good idea. I'd say from the photos she's a hypo motley, which again means the shop didn't tell you the truth about her.
You'll get good advice on here from people with years of experience in keeping corns and other snakes. Sometimes, we aren't totally polite about it, but the intention will be to help you and your snake. I'd highly recommend Kathy Love's book 'Corn snakes, the comprehensive owners guide'. She's retired now but one of the best known and loved corn breeders and a member on this site. The book will give you a really solid basis for keeping your snake in good health for many years to come.

Attachments

• s169a.JPG
    s169a.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 52
Okay, all this "she's not a corn" - is a little depressing, you haven't seen her head at all. And no, there isn't a black border in sight, so that's confusing me.
Anyway, here's a picture of her head -
402968_218143508324238_1386609127_n.jpg

524940_218143114990944_1391996132_n.jpg

Grainy but oh well =/
I think I edited the photos again colour-wise so no comment about that.
She might be a bit blockier or going through a growing stage or something, or she might just be an individual on those notes. No every corn is perfect.

I'm regretting even putting these photos up now...

She looks like a hypo to me. In the original pictures the color was off so it was hard to say for sure.

I think people were getting the "not a corn snake" thing from the way the saddles looked in the first picture and the color is kind of off.

Hypo reduces black pigment. That's why I think it's a hypo because I do not see black boarders around the saddles.

I can't really tell if it is a motley though. Does she have any belly checkers? If she is motley she will have a pretty much plain belly.

Okay *breathes*
I had mentioned that the first two pictures where HEAVILY edited.
She has minimal belly checkers - I checked with Motleys and as you said, pretty much a clear belly which she hasn't got.
She hasn't got a black border in sight - I had her compared to a Normal as well.
She looks very much like a Hypo - I'll compare her ventral scales when I get home.
I needed a night off >.<

I didn't see where it said it was edited in your first post.

I don't know why but you seem defensive. I don't think I said anything offensive. Just trying to help you identify the morph of your snake. Which is possibly a hypo motley. There is nothing wrong with a hypo motley. They are some nice looking snakes. Hypo generally makes a brighter colored snake too. But if you were set on having an amel then I can see why it being a hypo could be disappointing.

In the first picture she does look thin. But the mouse she is eating is not too big in my opinion. It looks like the adult mice that I feed my adult corns. So I'm not sure why others were thinking it is so big of a mouse. Personally I can't see the head and only see the tail end of the mouse. So maybe I'm just not seeing something that others are.

As long as she is healthy it shouldn't matter much if she is thin. Given a mouse once a week she should fatten up a little. Being thin is only a problem if she does not gain weight. That would mean there is probably something wrong like parasites. I don't think anyone was trying to attack you on that point. Just suggesting that it is something to keep an eye out for.

As to other thinking she isn't a corn snake. I gave my opinion of why they may have thought such a thing. I have no idea what goes on in the minds of other people so they are the only ones who can explain why they thought it wasn't a corn snake.

Again I don't know if my posts come off to you as offensive but I'm truly not trying to be at all.

I have no idea what goes on in the minds of other people so they are the only ones who can explain why they thought it wasn't a corn snake.

Because every time someone posts a photo of a snake that looks different, due to lighting or position or whatever, SOMEONE has so say it doesn't look like a cornsnake. It gets a little old.

Nanci has hit it right on the head, to be honest *nod*

@Wing - She's perfectly healthy, methinks, but on the note of the food, I will be sizing it down, since if its 'causing the elastic in her jaw not to spring back immediately and keep the jaw loose, I'm not too pleased with that, even though she can swallow/cope with it no problem.
Your posts aren't offensive, I'm just defensive. I haven't even had her a week and there have been issues, so I was panicking slightly.

@Iso -Thank you and yes, I can see some resemblance <3

Sorry you feel that way Nanci, but from the limited view I'm looking at its colors looks a lot like a rat/corns colors, which is why I asked if the OP could post a better pic. If the pet shop could call that an amel mot it sure could be in the range of probability it isn't even a corn :shrugs:

Sorry you feel that way Nanci, but from the limited view I'm looking at its colors looks a lot like a rat/corns colors, which is why I asked if the OP could post a better pic. If the pet shop could call that an amel mot it sure could be in the range of probability it isn't even a corn :shrugs:

And if 'she' isn't.
Marley has a name and gender, even though in your opinion she may not even be a corn.
I've posted head pictures and yes, there you go, you can make up your mind from that.

Back