• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Latex gloves?

I just got bit for the first time today :) I was at a pet shop hoping to replcae the milk snake i have and they got this one out of its box and it was wiggiling like hell i meen the 1 i have at the mo is a wriggly but this one was quite bad. I dont even think the person who served me knew anythin bout snakes really and she just got it out and it jupmed out of her hands and oto the floor and she was struggling to pick it up, i felt really sorry for her coz i could tell she didnt want to hold it so i got it and it was wriggling round loads and it just turned back onto my hand and bit me! I was surpirsed at how little it hurt and how cool i was about it. After that it just 'monged' on me for a bit then let go. But after all that i decided to keep with the one iv got at the mo.

missblackstar..

I was following this thread and wanted to ask a question.
What are the temps in your viv.
If temps get too high it can make for a fiesty snake. If the temps are up around 90 F. see if you can't bring them down to the low 80's.
If it is temperatures you will see a big difference within a day or two.
Just a thought and a suggestion.
good luck

9600creammotf3b-med.jpg

the temps are in their low 80's, my thermometer is in centigrade... about 28 degrees centigrade, which i think works out at just over 80...

PS. in your picture what substrate are you using? That is one gorgeous corn!

I tried it this evening... he pulled the sock off my hand and constricted it and wouldn't let go for 5 minutes after!!

I am going to try turning the temps down a little bit, and i might even feed him a fuzzy with his small mouse on feeding day, see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, i will have to buy a snake hook... but i really don't want to do that!!

He is one p*ssed off snake...

I really don't know what else to do?! :shrugs: :cry:

temps

I would go ahead and lower the temps a little and see what happens.
The substrate in that picture is aspen. When I buy the really large bags of aspen it isn't as finely shredded as the smaller packages.
Still works just as well.
The snakes still burrow through it, it is still easy to clean and when I buy it in the large bags it is a lot cheaper.
I don't remember the weight of the bags but they are around 3ft tall.( A little less then a meter)

the snake pictured

By the way... I wanted to say thanks for the comment about the snake pictured.
That is one of motley/stripe creamsicles.
I had origonaly thought they were motleys but due to the fact the father was a stripe cream and the mother a cream het motley that leaves motley/stripe as the most logical conclusion.
thanks for the input Clint, Don and Kathy.
a sibling to the one above
9600motcream16-med.jpg

ahh i was unsure because the aspen i have always bought is very finely shredded...

Well as an update, Jynx is still being moody... as soon as i come up to his viv he's there too acting defensive... :sidestep:

Will lower the temps today.. hopefully that will make a change... its just so weird how he has had a complete change in behaviour like this (maybe he's got schitzotHrenia! (sp?) ahh.. only joking! I hope i haven't offended anyone, if i have i'm sorry...)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! :santa:

As far as the temps go, how are you measuring it? Is the probe on top of the bedding or is it underneath, against the glass directly above the uth? If its on top of the bedding, it may seem like a low temp... just wondering.

i have a wooden vivarium, therefore i keep the uth inside. I am measuring the temperature using a probe which is placed on top of the uth but under the bedding.

The temps as i mentioned in an earlier post are 27/28, should i take them down to 25/26? or even lower than a couple of degrees?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

27/28C (81/82F) should be fine. I usually keep mine at around 29C (84F). My snakes seem to prefer being on top of the substrate in a hide or under the substrate away from the uth, go figure.

Back