• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

? Leucistic Corn

pipi5xtra

Hi,
I took my snakes to be probed yesterday and my hatchling to be checked over. I was sold my hatchling as a yellow snow, but I have been told that it is Leucistic. Has anyone ever heard of a Leucistic Corn? Can't find any information in the books I have on Corns.

As far as I know, there are no leucistic corn snakes, yet. You can check the eyes of your snakes, if they are pink you have a snow or blizzard or even a possible opal. This is because all those "white" snakes are created using Amels. Leucistic snakes have blue or dark eyes.
Terri

As crackerhead stated, leucistic animals usually have normal colored eyes. Here's an article on wikipedia that talks about leucism.

Just out of curiosity, who has told you that it was leucistic? A vet, another breeder, or a pet store??

Also, if you have a decent picture of your snake (one that shoes the eyes clearly) we'd be able to confirm the morph.

Oh, can you guys imagine! A white corn snake with blue eyes? It'd be love at first sight. :)

As crackerhead stated, leucistic animals usually have normal colored eyes. Here's an article on wikipedia that talks about leucism.

Just out of curiosity, who has told you that it was leucistic? A vet, another breeder, or a pet store??

Also, if you have a decent picture of your snake (one that shoes the eyes clearly) we'd be able to confirm the morph.

The staff member in the pet shop said it was leucistic, its eyes are very very dark with a slight reddish tinge. She also has dark outline round her dorsal blotches and has a mauve tinge to colouring. She does not look like my other snow who has ruby red eyes.

I get a little anxious!

Post a picture! Post a picture! I wanna see! I wanna see! :crazy02:

Sorry I get a little anxious!

Sounds more like you have a lavender or an opal, or something else entirely. There are no leucistic corns. Unless there's a hybrid out there that I've not yet heard about. Unless it's not a cornsnake at all.

A nice clear picture of the entire snake and a close up of an eye would be the only way to say for sure though.

have u got an email address i can send some photos to cannot work how to post photos from my computer onto the forum yet.
Philippa

Just to let you all know. I posted photos of the corn on the photo gallery and it lookslike it is a ghost. Thanks for all your help.
Philippa

Sounds more like you have a lavender or an opal, or something else entirely. There are no leucistic corns. Unless there's a hybrid out there that I've not yet heard about. Unless it's not a cornsnake at all.

I've seen Leucistic Texas ratsnakes CALLED cornsnakes before, PLUS they have the "pearl corns." Those are the Leucistic Texas ratsnakes x Cornsnake hybrids. So, yeah....Leucistic Texas cornsnake HYBRIDS are out there. This doesn't sound like any type of real Leucistic at all, though. Too much color.

The recent post that called it a ghost may be right. They do have some recent odd things coming out of some ghost lines...... ;)
KJ

Attachments

• small-1.jpg
    small-1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 240
She also has dark outline round her dorsal blotches and has a mauve tinge to colouring.

With this comment alone I would rule out leucistic.....as most leucistics I've seen (ratsnakes and a few others) are totally white with NO pattern.

Is it technically possible though?

But I guess that would depend whether the blue eyed gene is linked to the anery or something.

But say two blue/dark eyed anerys het for blizzard were to mate and say the genes aren't linked, then wouldn't there be a *counts fingers for punnet square* wouldn't that simply be a 1/4 chance that a blizzard with blue eyes would come out then? (if blue/dark eyes is homozygous recessive)

No, xAvaritia, it is not possible in the way you state.

The blue eyes of a Leucistic ratsnake are due to the presence of the pigment melanin in the eye.

A blizzard corn is an amelanistic charcoal - it has no melanin in its eyes (and thus the eyes are pink). An Amelanistic Anerythristic corn is a Snow; again, they have pink eyes because there is no melanin in them, and they have much more patterning.

A Ghost has reduced melanin (which is why they tend have blue eyes instead of dark grey or brown).

Oh dear, i knew I was missing something *head-desk*

@_@;;;

So rather than a trait being expressed, it's the lack of a trait being expressed that gives us blizzards. And no matter what, the Blizzard trait is an amelanistic trait that can come from an anery...?

Somehow it just gets more confusing. >__<

That's right. Most of the corn genes we see are "subtractive" - they "break" a normal process of pigment production and remove or reduce that pigment, so that we see altered pigmentation.

So a "Blizzard" corn (trade name for a combination morph) has two mutations that make the trait up:
Amelanistic subtracts the black pigment entirely from all parts of the body - mostly because the body can't produce the black pigment. The instructions on where to put it are still in place, but there isn't any pigment to put there. Sort of like having a "paint by numbers" with instructions and spaces left for black, but no black paint.
Charcoal is an Anerythristic-effect gene that subtracts the red and much of the yellow from all parts of the body. Same again - you've got the paint by numbers, but no red paint at all, and very little yellow.

This results in a mostly white snake with red eyes.

Now, Leucism in Texas rat snakes is a single gene mutation - and it also "breaks" the pigment production but in a different way. It basically breaks the part of the pigment coding that says "put the pigment cells here, here and here." So the snake can still MAKE melanin or erythrin - but it doesn't have the instructions on where to put it. It appears in the eyes - but nowhere else. You've got a blank canvas, no numbers and no spaces except in the eyes - so that's where the black paint goes.

I've seen Leucistic Texas ratsnakes CALLED cornsnakes before, PLUS they have the "pearl corns." Those are the Leucistic Texas ratsnakes x Cornsnake hybrids. So, yeah....Leucistic Texas cornsnake HYBRIDS are out there. This doesn't sound like any type of real Leucistic at all, though. Too much color.

The recent post that called it a ghost may be right. They do have some recent odd things coming out of some ghost lines...... ;)
KJ

That's very pretty KJ... a hybrid or a very pretty ghost?

Thanks for this thread. I've learned more about leucism by reading it. :)
Me too. Me too. Wow! Every day I learn something new! And some of you posting... I wish I could steal your brain for a little while. lol.

Beautiful snake though... I was starting to wonder if the more unique the more beautiful, but some snakes just steal your eye because they are simply gorgeous. You know? I never get tired of looking at a beautiful Bloodred and I'm always dumbfounded when I see something with an expectional and unusual pattern for a particular morph. Snakes are great! :)

a great analogy, i myself already understood it but i am sure that many others will benift from such a clear and simple explanation.

Hi
Just to let everyone know, I took the hatchling to a local breeder, who has identified it as a hypo pastel ghost. He also said i had an absolute bargain, as it was sold to me for £40. Does anyone know what this hatchling is worth as i want to get it insured.

Back