• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Like button..

How many would like to see a 'like' button.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, this site is not going to have code embedded within it to link to Facebook in any way. I personally don't "do" Facebook myself, so I am certainly not interested in tying this site to anything to do with that site.

I voted "No" because I see potential abuse and harassment with a function of this kind, especially if there is a "Dislike" counter-part. I don't use Facebook, but I've been on other sites that have a "Like/Dislike" or "Thumbs Up or Down" function and I can honestly say that there will be times when a member will make a post that gets blasted with "Dislikes" and comments by other members that are just this side of infraction-worthy getting lots of "Likes". This forum already gets enough reported posts due to conflicting opinions that turn into heated discussions. As a mod, I don't want to have to deal with even more because "I got blasted with 57 Dislikes and so-and-so received 63 Likes because of their comment that I reported to you yesterday". We hid the rep points for a reason, I believe. What makes this any different?
Only a like button... No dislike button....

I'd like to keep this out of Facebook hands. When you add Facebook in, they start tracking, compiling, gather all the data they can about you. Even if you aren't on Facebook. They are already tracking so much. If you want to be a part of Facebook, great for you. But please don't force everyone else to be a part of it. Thank you.
fb wasn't mentioned...
vbulletin have a 'like' button option... Nothing whatsoever to do with fb...

If it's a vbulletin thing, I vote yes.
If it's facebook, don't give in to the extreme lameness!
No again..fb wasn't mentioned, only like button.....
Please don't drag this off course by suggesting the negative side of dislike buttons or fb tracking us.... These things are are nothing to do with having a like button and will detract and split what could be a nice feature...

Only a like button... No dislike button....

fb wasn't mentioned...
vbulletin have a 'like' button option... Nothing whatsoever to do with fb...

No again..fb wasn't mentioned, only like button.....
Please don't drag this off course by suggesting the negative side of dislike buttons or fb tracking us.... These things are are nothing to do with having a like button and will detract and split what could be a nice feature...

Sorry Mike, but most discussions about the addition of a new feature should include potential negatives as well as the positives. And being a moderator, IF any problems arise from the addition of a new feature, I am one of the team that is going to have to deal with it.

I use the "Like" button in FB as that's short & sharp and fast-moving. However I don't really see the point of them on a text/comments-based message board like this.

If I like a post or a photo, I say so and say why, or I leave Rep. If you don't like it enough to bother doing that, then why would you bother even clicking a "Like" button? You might as well call it the "It's OK but I can't be bothered to do more than move my index finger slightly" button.

I use the "Like" button in FB as that's short & sharp and fast-moving. However I don't really see the point of them on a text/comments-based message board like this.

If I like a post or a photo, I say so and say why, or I leave Rep. If you don't like it enough to bother doing that, then why would you bother even clicking a "Like" button? You might as well call it the "It's OK but I can't be bothered to do more than move my index finger slightly" button.
Because it will save 19 of the 20 posts on a pic that say's, "nice snake.":p

They don't bother me - I ignore them manually without the aid of technology so a "Like" button would solve a problem I don't have.

Perhaps for the more tech-minded, we could have an "Ignore" button! :) Or perhaps we could ban comments on photos. Or maybe only allow comments on photos if they've been vetted by Mods as being worth making/reading....

Or maybe we could just ignore them. :) :)

They don't bother me - I ignore them manually without the aid of technology so a "Like" button would solve a problem I don't have.

Perhaps for the more tech-minded, we could have an "Ignore" button! :) Or perhaps we could ban comments on photos. Or maybe only allow comments on photos if they've been vetted by Mods as being worth making/reading....

Or maybe we could just ignore them. :) :)
I'm thinking a like button would be easier....

If you're looking to save effort when interacting, then not interacting at all is by far the least trouble of all.

Because it will save 19 of the 20 posts on a pic that say's, "nice snake.":p

Then I would consider this as a good reason to NOT implement this "like" button function. After all, isn't this a "discussion" forum site? Why would I want to implement something that would likely cut back on the discussions?

OK, sorry about bringing up FB, but I've only ever seen the "like" button with some type of FB connection. I stand correctly on that and will not assume a connection in the future. Thank you.

On posting a "Lovely snake" or something to that effect, well first the person has taken the time to take a photograph, load it, post it, and then to have no acknowledgement of it, I think has to be disappointing for them. Especially for someone new to here. Yeah, I get tired of reading all those great snake type of comments, but I think it is a small curtesy to extend in answering the post. If there already are plenty of "nice snake" comments, then fine, I won't add another.

Is posting a "nice snake" comment considered wrong here? Enlighten me please, I'd like to learn the polite protocol here. Thank you.

Then I would consider this as a good reason to NOT implement this "like" button function. After all, isn't this a "discussion" forum site? Why would I want to implement something that would likely cut back on the discussions?

Agreed! It sucks to go to the trouble of taking 50 photos of a snake, choosing the best, editing, and then no one comments. I think this would reduce "nice snake" comments.

But it would be handy, because then instead of typing this out, I could have just *liked* Rich's post!

On posting a "Lovely snake" or something to that effect, well first the person has taken the time to take a photograph, load it, post it, and then to have no acknowledgement of it, I think has to be disappointing for them. Especially for someone new to here. Yeah, I get tired of reading all those great snake type of comments, but I think it is a small curtesy to extend in answering the post. If there already are plenty of "nice snake" comments, then fine, I won't add another.

Is posting a "nice snake" comment considered wrong here? Enlighten me please, I'd like to learn the polite protocol here. Thank you.

*like*

What if we just get rep, and ages, back! :sidestep:

Whether or not you are new on here those 'nice snakes' posts are kind of gratifying to somebody that has taken a bunch of photos, and bothered tp post them. I don't make a lot of comments on photo threads but when I do I never feel like it would bother anybody. And I try not to say the exact thing others have already said, if there are already two posts that say congrats I guess I try to say it in other words. I would probably still make a comment even if there was a like button on posts I really liked.

It was just a thought guys.... I use a few Vbull sites that use the thanks and like function... But not the rep system.... They haven't had any problems with any of these systems...
Obviously they haven't an unlike button or an un thanks button...
I just found myself looking to like, and realising that the function didn't exist here.
Either way, I will still use the site, but having run out of reps, I'll have to wait and see if I can like.... LOL....

I like the nice snake comments myself and have left a few on snakes I like. I think Facebook no longer has a dislike button per se its either you can like or take the like away i think.

I "like" the like option! Sometimes I don't really have something to say back to a post, but thinks it's pretty good, a like button would be a way to show it.

*like*

What if we just get rep, and ages, back! :sidestep:

This.

If we could free rep and see ages again, that would be the bee knees.

Back