• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Low diffusion Fire progression.

Thank you! Yes it is, she has almost no white left other than her belly. She's also actually just a little darker/redder than these pictures look, the flash seems to really bring out the orange, but without it the color quality is even worse. What I wouldn't give for a sunny day!! :p

Update: Raven has now entered me into the bite club... well Relic did it first, but that was a feeding error. This was just a straight up "I've decided that everything is food all the time" strike. She used to come out and say hello when I was in the room, now she comes out and tracks my every movement as if I am a giant mouse. She has also taken to rattling her tail at me, but only while or immediately after eating. Little turkey. Other than that she is still a sweetheart, and just had another shed this week, so more pictures are coming. She sheds twice as often as the others... not sure if that's normal, but she seems perfectly healthy otherwise.

Raven has had a few more sheds. Not as much change from one to the next anymore, but I think she's gained a little more color since I last posted, so here is an update. My photographer friend should be taking some nicer ones soon, but I got impatient :laugh: so these are cell phone pics taken out in the sun. No fancy backgrounds. Sorry!

June 20_1.jpg

June 20_5.jpg

Awesome!! By the time she reaches adult hood I think she'll be fairly bright and a somewhat solid color. Looks like she may be more orange than red, but I think she'll "blend" more and more as she grows.

I had a pair of 1.1 Diffuseds that didn't display a lot of diffusion when they were hatched out. As they grew though their color filled in a lot. The female turned into a stunning Bloodred with color to match. The male was more orange but his sides did blend together as he aged.

Awesome!! By the time she reaches adult hood I think she'll be fairly bright and a somewhat solid color. Looks like she may be more orange than red, but I think she'll "blend" more and more as she grows.

I had a pair of 1.1 Diffuseds that didn't display a lot of diffusion when they were hatched out. As they grew though their color filled in a lot. The female turned into a stunning Bloodred with color to match. The male was more orange but his sides did blend together as he aged.

That's good news! She does look very orange in bright light, I don't know if it's possible but it's almost like her saddles are fading while the background color is intensifying. I wonder if they'll meet in the middle somewhere? Or maybe it just looks like that.

Wow- look at all that color that has come in!!

Thanks Nanci. I don't think she has any white left at all, except a tiny bit down the middle of her belly. :)

Raven has turned into a shark. Or a king snake I guess I should say. Everything that goes into her cage is considered food and at risk of being tasted. She is my only corn who actually bites. Once she's out she's a little nervous, and never really seems to calm down as much as the others, but never bites outside of the cage. She is now approaching 2 years old, is 3'3" (if I remember correctly) and just under 250 grams. Her color does seem to still be developing, but much more slowly now.

Here are some pictures from January that my friend took with a proper camera:
jan 2016 1.jpg

jan 2016 3 small.jpg

jan 2016 5 small.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures I took in April with my cell phone. Does she look like a good weight to you guys? I'm not so good at telling if she's maybe gotten a little chunky. Haha
april 2016 small 1.jpg

april 2016 small 2.jpg

april 2016 small 3.jpg

Raven shed a few days ago, but we just haven't had any sun until today. I took her outside for a little update photo shoot, and I think her color has gotten more intense even since January, so I thought I'd update her thread. Her sides have pretty much diffused out, you can hardly see any side pattern anymore, and her belly is almost solid orange now especially towards the tail. I realized I didn't get any that were in focus of the underside of her neck, where we weren't sure if we saw belly checkers, so I'll need to get some of those still. And while she is not quite solid colored, her saddles and ground color are close enough that I am quite happy with how she has turned out. So if she gets more diffused/solid colored, that's awesome. If she doesn't, I'm still very pleased.

Picture 1 shows her overall color saturation.
Picture 2 shows her belly.
Picture 3 shows her head.
Pictures 4 and 5 are an attempt to show how faint her side pattern is. It's difficult with shiny snakes in the sunlight, so the last one is in the shade, sort of.

6_30.jpg

7_30.jpg

8_90.jpg

9_30.jpg

10_25.jpg

Oh ya, and her shed looked like it had hemipenes, so she might be a boy, as it turns out. Not that it makes any difference to me, but interesting note.

Lol! Well that's certainly news. Are you sure they're hemipenes and not sperm plugs? I've been following this progression thread for a while cause I love the color change in fires thanks for the many pictures :D

Lol! Well that's certainly news. Are you sure they're hemipenes and not sperm plugs? I've been following this progression thread for a while cause I love the color change in fires thanks for the many pictures :D

I talked to her breeder at the show this weekend, and she had kept one of Raven's siblings. Seems she turned out really nicely too. Definitely a fun one to watch developing. :)

Whether they are hemipenes or sperm plugs it would still indicate a male, however, there is a possibility they could be scent glands which females do have. From all the research I've done on this (which isn't a ton) and everyone's responses to my recent thread about it (search "scabs on shed") it sounds like a pretty good chance they're hemipenes though. And yet I can't quite seem to stop calling her a "she". LOL. Force of habit I guess.

What a gorgeous snake!

It's amazing how the colors have deepened since your snake was a hatchling. I have one that had a dark, coffee-bean-like color when it hatched and now resembles his dad and after 10-11 months has an orange-reddish-brown type of color. Not sure what you might call it.

Very cool thread!

Back