• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

making money?

I'm lucky enough to have RodentPro at a monthly show, so I'm able to shop conservatively knowing I could go back next month depending on how many hatchlings I had left, plus there's no shipping costs.

I had 1 clutch of 22 eggs; normals, amels, anerys and snows. My intent was to get rid of them asap.

Here's what worked for me. When the female layed eggs, I either called or visited local pet shops to let them know. When they hatched I took pictures and visited them again. Owners said they were interested and would call me. I wasn't getting any call backs so I went back with one of each morph with the feed/shed records sticky labeled to the top of the deli cup and NEVER left a store without selling at least two at $15.00 a piece. On one pet shop visit a customer over heard my price and got one from me instead. The next day she brought me another customer. As of today I have 2 left (plus 3 non feeders). I realize this may not work for some of the more expensive morphs, but I highly recommend this for the 'pet shop' corns.

So I figure at 3 feedings each at 0.20 per pinky that's about 14.00. I've sold 17 at $15.00 each; that's $255.00. That's a difference of $241.00.
I bought the breeders as adults for $100.00 and $75.00, fed them for a year at a cost of about $40.00. That leaves me $26.00; looks like dinner and a movie for me and the little lady.:grin01:

Actually, I'll probably spend all the money to buy another future breeder.:)

LOL if we all knew when to stop maybe we'd make money.
I just sent payment for a female Durango Mtn. King, I had been looking for one for my male and I found an adult for sale, couldn't pass her up. I figured another opportunity like that would be rare. Same reasoning when I bought surplus adults from Rich.
Maybe I just need to sit on my hands when I look at reptile for sale sites so I can't click on those little 'buy it now' icons. I could move the mouse with my teeth or something :rolleyes:

I definetely think you have to know when to say "No", it's hard when you are addicted and love corns. I purchased many morphs over the last few years, most of them as hatchlings, that I have raised for breeders. This is only my fourth year hatching out corns, the first year=1 clutch, second year=two, last year I had around 100 hatchlings and this year around 200 hatchlings and over a dozen morphs. I am lucky in the fact that I am a teacher and get the summers off, which is perfect for a hobby like this. I am not out to make money, but I do have goals and high expectations. If I don't break even this year, I will for sure next, and then if I am smart about buying and selling I think I will come out ahead every year after. It's not cheap to get started, but once you invested in racks, breeders, etc., the costs then are limited. I also live in SD, and we only have one pet store in town that sells corns. She is a great client of mine and I get between 25-35 for my hatchlings. I have a couple other pet stores that buy from me for at least $20ea., and they all know they are getting good, healthy eaters. I try to advertise locally as much as possible. It gets frustrating at times when you still have over 100 hatchlings left and just had to spend almost $800 on frozen food!! But if you are hard working and patient I think you can have a hobby that you really enjoy and make enough extra to treat yourself for all of your hard work.

Back