• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Males Stops Breeding

SunnyCorn

No Soup For You!!
IS ther a point in time when a male snake stops being able to breed all together? Like at a certain year? Thanks. :wavey:

Good question! As far as I can recall, there isn't a male of any species (mammal, reptile, bird, whatever) that I can think of that becomes totally incapable of breeding. They can have problems as they age, such as lower sperm counts, impotence, physical weakness, other disabilities, etc, but you can never count a male out completely, IMO.

My oldest corn, a 12 yr old coral snow, is just as much of a stud now as when he started breeding. I imagine that I'll get several more years out of him, too.

Can you use one male to breed with two females? And, I know with humans and other species you get gene problems when you interbreed siblings-Is there the same problem with breeding snakes?

suecornish said:
And, I know with humans and other species you get gene problems when you interbreed siblings-Is there the same problem with breeding snakes?

Cornsnakes and the same with people, inbreeding COULD cause deformities etc. Morphs are made from breeding sister to brother or sister to father usually. Getting a new morph is a inbreeding defect, but its a defect people like.

Aslong as you don't breed brother to sister, then there son and daughter, and then there son and daughter and so on you don't run into problems.

Inbreeding (line breeding, sibling to sibling, and so on) is an accepted way of increasing the statistical chances for new recessive characteristics to be inherited and expressed. It only increases the chance of problems from inherited deformity if the genes for that deformity are already present.

Kevin McRae said:
Cornsnakes and the same with people, inbreeding COULD cause deformities etc. Morphs are made from breeding sister to brother or sister to father usually. Getting a new morph is a inbreeding defect, but its a defect people like.

Aslong as you don't breed brother to sister, then there son and daughter, and then there son and daughter and so on you don't run into problems.

New morphs are not created by inbreeding. inbreeding just brings them out in snakes. It's not like inbreeding in humans where it usually causes problems like low immune system and birth rate. Breeders have been inbreeding their snakes for years with very problem associated with it.

The reason why I asked is that I am going to the snake expo in Columbia tomorrow. I have one female, Gaia, and if I can breed two females to one male that I will look into getting another female and a male; but if not, then two males and a female. I want to keep my breeders under six right now. One male to two females(2 sets); or, three males and three females(3 sets). With two sets there be some inbreeding but I am thinking with 3 sets not so much.

suecornish said:
The reason why I asked is that I am going to the snake expo in Columbia tomorrow. I have one female, Gaia, and if I can breed two females to one male that I will look into getting another female and a male; but if not, then two males and a female. I want to keep my breeders under six right now. One male to two females(2 sets); or, three males and three females(3 sets). With two sets there be some inbreeding but I am thinking with 3 sets not so much.
Yes you can breed one male to two females, but I understand when the male is young you may need to limit the number of females to male ratio. You can also breed two males and one female, since they retain sperm you could have babies form both males. :) susan

I got two wild caught Okeetees that I caught myself in 1996 one was 32" long the other full grown about 4 ' and both still breed . I think the latter male had to be no younger than 4 or 5 years old and I have him 11 years now

susang said:
Yes you can breed one male to two females, but I understand when the male is young you may need to limit the number of females to male ratio. You can also breed two males and one female, since they retain sperm you could have babies form both males. :) susan

I read that but I think I just want a single male to single female to see what comes out. I still need to learn my morphs and what will make what. I am also toying with an idea to try to get a corn with green. I've read descriptions of amber and caramel morphs that have tinges of green. Who know's I may start a Forest morph. :grin01:

:crazy02:

antsterr said:
New morphs are not created by inbreeding. inbreeding just brings them out in snakes. It's not like inbreeding in humans where it usually causes problems like low immune system and birth rate. Breeders have been inbreeding their snakes for years with very problem associated with it.
These statements aren't exactly correct. New mutant genes aren't necessarily the product of inbreeding, but their expression often is. When the first hypo-sunkissed-lavender-cinders arrive on the scene, you can bet that they will be the products of inbreeding. And inbreeding in snakes carries the same risks as inbreeding in humans. If you breed your two sibling het lavenders hoping to create lavenders, you may inadvertently be breeding snakes that are also het for the "immunity problem X" gene.

suecornish said:
Can you use one male to breed with two females?
I bred one male this year to a number of females, producing many apparently fertile eggs. You can also breed multiple males to a single female.

suecornish said:
I read that but I think I just want a single male to single female to see what comes out. :grin01:
I'm confused didn't you ask if you could breed one male to two females, because you are going to a show tomorrow and wanted to know waht to buy??? :crazy02: susan

susang said:
I'm confused didn't you ask if you could breed one male to two females, because you are going to a show tomorrow and wanted to know waht to buy??? :crazy02: susan

Sorry, that was confusing. What I meant is that I want to breed just one male with each female.

I want to try to get an Amber and a Caramel. So, if the Amber is a male, I can breed him with the Caramel and know what an amber-caramel breeding will bring; and, breed him with Gaia and know what an amber-normal will bring. That's what I meant.

I am assuming that because there is two different mothers I can breed, say, half-brother with half-sister and be okay gene-wise. Or, I can breed a male offspring of the caramel with Gaia and a male offspring of Gaia with the caramel and be okay gene-wise.

Sue, there are no guarantees. If the siblings are relatively free of lethal or deleterious genes, then you will have lovely healthy offspring with the genes you want reinforced. But if they do carry 'bad' genes then you also increase the chances of those genes being expressed by inbreeding. Unless you know the genetic heritage with absolute certainty, breeding them is the only way to know the outcome

Got it, wish I had plans that far out. Now I have six corns mostly different morphs, except 1.1 amel. my other male is a creamsicle??? Don't know what to do with him yet? See it doesn't take much to confuse me. susan

Sometimes I am anal-retentive. I retire in nine years and want a "hobby" to keep me out of trouble. I don't want to do it big time like Kathy, Jeff or Rich; maybe just enough to pay for the food and other toys. I might even have someone in town that will take hatchlings that I don't sell; but, I won't be having any hatchlings for another three years. Talk about lining all my ducks up.

I have to do everything to get started now while I am making the money because to wait until I start getting a retirement check might be too late. And as my best friend at work says "once you get interested in something you go all the way."

Kind of freaks my husband out because all he wanted was A snake. Now we have three, tomorrow the count will go up to five and maybe in November, who knows.

I prefer my snakes over the dogs, birds and iguana.

suecornish said:
What is the "immunity problem x" gene?
I made it up. I hope it doesn't exist! We think of the mutant genes that affect a corn's outward appearance (e.g., motley, lavender, anery) as good things, but these mutations can also be viewed as defects. An amel cannot produce melanin. This may make a pretty captive snake, but it probably wouldn't benefit a wild snake in avoiding predators. Fortunately, this poses no problem to a captive snake. But this may not be the case for some other mutation that we haven't identified, such as my imaginary "immunity problem x" gene, or maybe a "reduced kidney function" gene, or an "enlarged heart" gene. If these are recessive genes, then inbreeding will greatly increase the chances of expression of these genes, just as it increases the chances of expression of the mutant genes that we seek in altering color or pattern.

Back