• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Meet Ruby (or Rudy)

ruraldean

Old and Getting Older
Hi.

I made an introduction some time ago, but was a man without a snake. Now I am a man WITH a snake, courtesy of my lovely daughter who surprised me with him/her last night. :dancer:

It's name is now Ruby or Rudy, depending upon information yet to be ascertained, but a beauty nevertheless. Since taking this photo about 10 minutes ago she'he's eaten her/his first pinkie. I'm guessing she (oh alright, I can't be bothered) is about 5 months old, but she was lost for a month by her previous owner and only reappeared in the last couple of days and was rescued by my daughter, thankfully. So some feeding up to do (and yes, I will use the Munson Plan).

Apart from the fact she's obviously an Amel, I know nothing, so any extra identification would be a great help. She has light grey checkerboarding underneath.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• P200508_15.10.JPG
    P200508_15.10.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 269
He/she is very bright and pretty!

As far as light grey checkers, they are probably clear checkers. Clear ones can sort of look grey. She is as you said an amel, nothing more. But she is a stunning amel!

Congrats! :)

She's beautiful! And if you're not going to breed the animal, pick a gender/name you like and go with it...the snake won't care. =)

Thanks for the nice comments. I've discovered that she's Ruby not Rudy so first instincts seemed correct. She's eaten 2 pinkies, dumped, drunk, and shed in the last week so everything appears to work, so I've got me a fully functional corn.

She also seems to be a natural weaver, in that she will lace between my open fingers without encouragement and then sit and stare at me. Her first evening in aspen (the wood, not the ski resort) saw her moving under the substrate and then just popping her head up for a look around like the Loch Ness Monster. Funniest thing ever.

In all, a great little pet, and one my wife's not allergic to at that.

(by the way, although 'er indoors once said "You can have a snake but I want nothing to do with it...", she looks at it every night and even phoned me when I was away because Ruby wasn't moving and she was worried. She's also admitted that Ruby's "cute". I rule.)

By the way - I notice that the name "Ruby" appears to be a popular one among the forum members. I hope no one thinks I'm being particularly unimaginative, but I was singing the Kaiser Chiefs song when I first handled her, was struck by her ruby eyes, and then flicked through the TV channels to spot a telly programme named "Ruby's Dream" about to start.

It just seemed rude not to.

No offence to those existing Ruby owners out there I hope.

Congratulations on finally becoming owned by a corn snake, I knew you'd get one before September ;)

I think Ruby is gorgeous and she has a great name, but then I'm biased, as I too have a Ruby :)

It won't be long before the Missus wants one of her own ;)

Good luck with her and welcome to the addiction :D

The missus volunteered to hold her again yesterday and was beaming all over her face. When I mentioned her "I want nothing to do with a snake" comment she became mildly flustered and said she was lovely. She also picked up a copy of the Cornsnake Morph Guide, (thanks for the loan Matt) and decided that Ruby was the prettiest of all.

I'm winning this one!

Now, onto my second corn...

lol see you were warned that ones not enough, my other half was not a fan of snakes, would always keep his distance from my sisters one, but now he had two of his own, they are great little characters

Her first evening in aspen (the wood, not the ski resort)

Haha too funny. Your little Ruby is a looker! I have an 07 Amel that I was thinking of naming Ruby(mom is named Pearl) haha but maybe I'll have to search alittle harder for a "jem" name for her. :)

Back