• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

MORE ADVICE PLEASE !!!

Hey guys,
Untill recently i've been using a digital thermostat with the probe on top of the substrate and it was reading up to 90deg but on the advice of the good folk from cs.com i placed the probe under the substrate directly on the UTH and was shocked to find it went up to 125deg ...

Very naive i know,

So in a blind state of panic i rushed out and bought a Habistat thermostat and my question to you is.. Should the thermostat probe be placed directly on the UTH or on the surface of the substrate...??

PS. Along with the Habistat thermostat, Mitch also got herself a new 60gal viv.. what do ya think ??

S1050197.jpg
[/IMG]

under the substrate. This is because many corns will burrow in their substrate. Also is that cedar or pine bedding?

Jcapicy, that looks like beech chip bedding to me. Pretty safe, as long you don't feed on it lol, as with all particulate substrate, as I'm sure you know. :)

Yeah, Jcapicy is right mate. Under the substrate directly on the UTH. Also, if you can find a way of fixing it in place that helps a lot with fluctuation. I used to constantly have to fiddle with my thermostat, but after I fixed the probe in place there's hardly any fluctuation. Just use your thermometer to check the temps and fiddle with the thermostat until you get between 80 - 85, and it should stay pretty constant from there.

I hope that helps

David

hi, it's beech "chuppa chups"bedding.. i've been using it for about 2 years now, and i have a 10gal exo-terra tank (from when she was a baby) that i use to feed her in, on top of some newspaper..

I fix the probe from the Thermostat and the probe from the Thermometer, next to each other over the heat mat. The setting on the Thermostat can be a little off and the Thermometer will give you the true reading. If I set my Habistat Thermostat to 85F, the Thermometer reads 90F so you might have to adjust the Stat down a bit:)

Hope that helps, best wishes,

I use hot glue to fix the thermostat probes in place. Once cool, the snake can't get stuck on it, and if you even want to move the probe (new viv, whatever), you just use the edge of a knife to peel it up.

I use hot glue to fix the thermostat probes in place. Once cool, the snake can't get stuck on it, and if you even want to move the probe (new viv, whatever), you just use the edge of a knife to peel it up.

I never thought about hot glue, nice idea! I usually use aquarium sealant or blue tac, they are also easy to remove and replace :)

Also, at the moment i have the heat mat inside the glass viv and the 2 probes (thermostat/thermometer) directly on top of the heat mat with about 1" of substrate over them... Should i put the heat mat under the viv on the outside ??

I've read in a corn snake carers guide that the heat mat should be on the outside of plastic/wood tanks and on the inside of glass tanks.. Is this correct ??

I'd have thought it would have been the other way around, since wood and some plastics are good insulators, but glass is generally a poor one.

If, with 1 inch of substrate you're getting temps that are between 82-83 degrees, then the heat mat shouldn't be too much higher than that (so it'll still be near to/within the safe 80-85 region), so your Corn is unlikely to be burnt.

Cheers dave,
Just wanted to make sure it was alright to have the heat mat inside the viv, the temp is reading between 84 and 85deg and i have the probes directly on the mat so it probably wouldn't make much differance to have the mat under the viv and read the temp from the glass... So long as the temp stays at 84deg ...

Thanks again..

P.S. the water bowl is at least 1ft away from the heat mat so i don't think a spill would be a problem but could there be a problem if she urinates on it.. ( there's an inch of substrate)..

There could be a problem with urine, though that would only be an issue if the heatmat wasn't waterproof. Most that are designed to go inside are waterproof. But I would double check to be sure. With a glass viv it certainly wouldn't hurt to put it outside the viv.

Dave is correct. UTHs should be outside a glass viv, and inside a wooden one. Personally, I've used UTHs outside of plastic vivs with little problems.

As long as it's on a thermostat, it's not really an issue.

Are you using a HabiStat UTH mate? If so, they're completely waterproof, so you wouldn't have to worry about urine or water touching it. If you can get the desired temperatures and still have the heat mat at a safe temperature inside the viv', then I wouldn't move it. But, it's completely up to you. :)

I think it's actually an Exo-Terra heat mat and i'm not sure if it's waterproof, i don't have the packaging of it either so i've moved the heat mat to the outside of the viv just to be safe .. thanks for all the advice lads, i really appreciate it..
Owen.

Back