• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Morph Type and Temperment?

SOLObucky

Is there any correlation with temperament and morph type? I only ask because when I was researching getting a corn, I attended a reptile fair. I mentioned to a vendor that I was thinking of getting a blood red for my daughter. She thought that was a bad idea because bloods tend to be more aggressive and bite more.

Well, I took that advice with a grain of salt and decided to get a blood anyway. Daughter is a bit of a tom boy and wouldn't be scared off by a little bite every now and again. Besides, she really wanted a RED SNAKE!

I thought a temperament morph correlation seemed to be a bit odd anyway. But I'm a novice. Any opinions from you experts?

Temperament is something a lot of people aren't doing much work with as far as I know. I've never personally heard that any morph has agression linked to it. I've heard of biting snakes across the board. As genetics are experimented with more in new combinations it's possible that it could be a correlation with specific genes but right now I haven't heard where there's anything specific to morph and agression gene correlation.

Sunkisseds regularly have bad attitudes and I've heard some Okeetee lines can be testy too.

I've found that the pied blood reds i got from walter are hatelings! i have 2 siblings and they act exactly alike! but they are calming down nicely. The male I got from Kevin is so chill it is funny.

I think it just depends on the personality of the parents more than it does the morph. Also, how often you handle them and their general mood.

Once you get bit by a baby corn, you will understand why people consider hatelings adorable! I know I do lol.

Some Sunkissed, bloodred, and okeetee lines seem to have the worst attitudes. Our bloodreds have the worst attitude!

My Bloodred's quite timid but not at all bitey. But then she's 10 years old and hatched in the UK, so not closely related to current US bloodlines.

All my bloodreds are sweet except Suri the lavablood- she's not a people snake. Mr. Ruby the bloodred stripe was pretty mean. That's why I eventually sold him- one bite too many. He's with Hallie now!

So not counting babies, that's 13 nice, 1 would rather not be handled, but very, very rarely bites. And I would have plenty of warning.

My worst is a little butter motley baby, otherwise a big ghost female...she always thinks she's hungry, she's not mean like the little butter mot.

I wonder if the vendor was confused when they heard blood and thought you were talking about blood pythons? I know my female is sweet but my male is pure hate wrapped in snake skin, they are KNOWN to be aggressive, maybe he didn't listen completely to what you were saying:shrugs:

In my experience Sunkissed and Blood red morphs have the most attitude. Although I do have some Sunkissed and Blood morphs that are really good.

I have five bloodred morphs (two regular, two pied, and a pewter) and none have attitudes at all. Siri can be a bit of a spaz at times, but she's never been bitey. Flynn is the most docile snake I've ever encountered - he's wonderful with small children and gets on well with everyone.

I haven't worked with sunkissed morphs yet, but I do regularly hear they have attitude. I've also heard amels can be bitey, but I haven't seen any proof one way or the other about that. :shrugs:

I have okeets here that the male is kinda ok but his mate is a witch. My sunkissed blood baby Pug is always a little turd to deal with. But I like him that way.

It seems to me that some morphs might have a higher chance of being "mean". But it all just comes down to the individual snake. If you get a chance to handle a snake before you purchase it, you can get a little bit of an idea of their personality.

Most all snakes are flighty as babies and may even be biters. But normally calm down with handling and age.

All of my snakes are pretty calm. I've had a couple that were horrible biters but calmed down once they got used to handling. I've only got one snake who is still evil and he is possible het sunkissed. So I guess even carrying the sunkissed gene might have an effect.

I've read that okeetees were known to have an attitude and being that sunkissed came from okeetees (I think), it makes sense they might have an attitude too. I don't know much of anything about bloods.

My first snow corn Rune was so very sweet...my current snow stripe Kiyo is also very very sweet. Never has tried to bite. Omnom (lavender) on the other hand is a little brat!! He tries to bite and flee when taken out, but quickly settles down to not biting, just trying to get away. Hopefully he will outgrow that =/

My first snow corn Rune was so very sweet...my current snow stripe Kiyo is also very very sweet. Never has tried to bite. Omnom (lavender) on the other hand is a little brat!! He tries to bite and flee when taken out, but quickly settles down to not biting, just trying to get away. Hopefully he will outgrow that =/

My snow is also the sweetest snake I have. In the 3 and a half years I've had her (had her since she was a month old) she has always been sweet. Even as a tiny hatchling she wasn't flighty. She's the snake I let anyone hold.

Yeah, my Kiyo is the one I would let anyone who wanted to hold her. She is so personable. That's the reason I got her :)

I must say the snake I hated the most was an adult amel stripe girl I got as an adult. She drew blood everytime I opened her tub. She was sneaky at times about it, would be all ok slithering up my arm then bam she was latched on.

Back