• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Motley?

Yvette

I am Yvette.
I bought a normal Motley corn snake from a breeder, but when I got him I saw he has a checkered belly. The checkers start halfway through his belly, so the first half is pure white and the second half has checkers. He does not have as many checkers as other corn snakes though. He only has seven. Is he still a Motley or is he a normal?
Either way I'm gonna keep the little guy. He has the best personality I've seen in a snake, and he's a great eater :)

Are they actual checkers? What color are they? Usually, Motleys can have speckling/freckling in the lower half or third of their ventral. My Mot has freckling and then it turns solid orange. Do you have a picture of the snake? Dorsal and Ventral would be the best way to see. :)

They are tiny little black squares. They are very far apart from each other too. My camera's battery died and I can't find the charger so I don't have any pictures.

If they are black, then it's likely not a motley. It's possible that it looks like one, but it is genetically not a motley.

Pictures would def. help us tell you for sure. My Normal Hypo corn snake has belly checkers but they are far apart and kind of sparatic, so yours could be a Hypo like mine but motleys have plain white bellies.

A photo would be wonderful, but just an FYI, the Cornsnake Morph Guide says that some motleys may have a few belly checks, so yours may simply be one of those.

Hmmm..

Thats sure sounds like the Morph Guide is twisting things up.I know they know genetics very well,but motleys dont have belly checks and either does bloodreds.
I would guess some morphs may have a strong influence on there hets which lead others to believe that the animal is actually homo for a morph.
I have seen this first hand in bloodreds,some look to be homo blood but have a few checks by there necks which is usually not noticed since most tend to lift there snake in that area.I have normals with only a few checks on them they dont even have motley in the backgrounds.From what I have seen Sunkissed also has some type of affect on the patterned morphs.Unless I had one that had a totally white belly,I wouldnt consider it a motley.Thing is its really going to be confusing with Bloodred morphs since some have color on there bellys but the color isnt in the form of checking

I know I have heard elsewhere about motleys with a few belly checks, and I think Carol had a clutch from a motley X motley pairing a couple of years where a couple of hatchlings showed a few belly checks. There are always exceptions to every rule and to say that to be a motley, not even 1 belly check can be present is just daring the powers that be to prove you wrong. ;)

I was confused when I saw his belly checkers. It kind of bums me out that I asked and paid for a motley and got a normal. He's a great snake though, and I'm happy with him :)

That's what my snake's belly looks like! So maybe he is a Motley...he's just a mystery to me.

I never asked to see the parents. I just saw all the babies and they all looked like Motleys. I didn't see their bellies though. I just saw mine when I got home. McBeth is my first snake and I love him. I'm thinking about getting another one from the same breeder (this time making sure I'm getting what I pay for) and starting my own collection.

On my baby I linked the pics to above, the sire was a ghost mot and the dam was an anery mot. Unfortunately I no longer have that snake as he was sold in Eugene show in March. I would love to see pics of Yvette's. I think it could be a weird "aberrant" motley like mine was, or it could be a normal with a motley-ish pattern.

I finally got pictures of my snake. Again, he was sold to me as a motley, but I don't think he is a motley. This is him...
rsz_p1010280.jpg

And this is his belly. He has seven of these checkers.
rsz_p1010288.jpg

The second picture is blurry and the colors didn't come out right, but it's the best I could get. His belly is white with those black checkers.

He definitely looks like a motley. I've had a Snow Motley female a few years back who always produces 100% motley babies in the 5 litters I've had with her and she had normal belly checkers. I've never come across another Motley with full belly checkers but sometimes I do see motley's with some checkers. So there's a good change he's a motley.

Back