• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My baby okeetee

KRIZ said:
Isn't a candycane just an amel with emory blood in it, they don't necessarily have to be the red/orange on white we all ascsociate with it. It could just be a corn looking candycane

no...that is a creamsicle you are thinking of. Candy canes are supposed to be 'pure' corn snakes selectively bred to have either orange or red saddles on the whitest background possible.

i was going to say that wasnt an okeetee but i decided not you spoil it for you. If he wants it to be an okeetee it's an okeetee simple as that

i was going to say that wasnt an okeetee but i decided not you spoil it for you. If he wants it to be an okeetee it's an okeetee simple as that

Well, I do differ with this thought. I don't think because someone wants to call his or her snake something that it makes it that. For one, this only perpetuates the mislabeling that seems to be occurring with some types, especially the Okeetee and the various Amel varieties. If it is not what it is thought to be, it is just not.

And if I wanted to call my Anery a lavender, does that then make it a lavender? I know that Okeetee is just another form of normal and that lavender is a different gene altogether, but mislabeling is mislabeling. IF a seller sells their offspring as not what it is and the buyer learns that it is not what was said to be, does it make it correct for that person to then perpetuate that and sell it or offspring of it as the wrong labeled type?

I don't mean to be a pain on this but an Okeetee in the "non locale" sense is a specific 'look' just as the Miami and the Candy Cane and the Sunglow. If we just say that people can call their amels a Sunglow because someone sold it to them as such but it has white on it, that erodes the sense of having names for specific looks and the ability for people to purchase snakes for that "look."

My opinion is, let's try to leave specific names for the specific looks they are intended for.
This is just my .02 cents.

And I agree, I would call that nice normal a nice normal. I have a few NICE normals myself that aren't Okeetee but I enjoy them and love their looks. NOTHING wrong with a "normal" at all in my view.

OkateeManiac said:

If you want to take that stance, then so be it.

Where did you purchase said snake from?

gardenmum said:
Well, I do differ with this thought. I don't think because someone wants to call his or her snake something that it makes it that. For one, this only perpetuates the mislabeling that seems to be occurring with some types, especially the Okeetee and the various Amel varieties. If it is not what it is thought to be, it is just not.

And if I wanted to call my Anery a lavender, does that then make it a lavender? I know that Okeetee is just another form of normal and that lavender is a different gene altogether, but mislabeling is mislabeling. IF a seller sells their offspring as not what it is and the buyer learns that it is not what was said to be, does it make it correct for that person to then perpetuate that and sell it or offspring of it as the wrong labeled type?

I don't mean to be a pain on this but an Okeetee in the "non locale" sense is a specific 'look' just as the Miami and the Candy Cane and the Sunglow. If we just say that people can call their amels a Sunglow because someone sold it to them as such but it has white on it, that erodes the sense of having names for specific looks and the ability for people to purchase snakes for that "look."

My opinion is, let's try to leave specific names for the specific looks they are intended for.
This is just my .02 cents.

And I agree, I would call that nice normal a nice normal. I have a few NICE normals myself that aren't Okeetee but I enjoy them and love their looks. NOTHING wrong with a "normal" at all in my view.
I couldn't agree with you more on everthing in your reply.
Especially the last part about the normals.
Jimmy Johnson said it best "nothing normal about them" :cheers:

Well, here's my Okeetee directly from the hunt club. Isn't he purrrdy?

Picture177.jpg

mbdorfer said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sir, are you laughing at me?

I take offense to that, old man!!!

Fine, it's a lavender.

Happy now?

Joejr14 said:
Sir, are you laughing at me?

I take offense to that, old man!!!

Fine, it's a lavender.

Happy now?
Well it's certainly more believable :crazy02:
And No, I'm laughing with you :wavey:

I thought that the okeetees looked like mine as a baby and the grey background turned orange as they mature. I got both of my snakes from pet shops, not the same petshops though. thanks for the replies!

Here's an Okeetee as a hatchling and again a month later.

Attachments

• abbott-large-4.jpg
    abbott-large-4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 66
  • abbott-large-3.jpg
    abbott-large-3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67
Mine looks alot like the pictures that gardenmum just posted. My snakes head is a little grayer but my snake is supposedly het lavender(doubt it makes a difference). I think i just took a bad pic but ill take more sometime soon.

Traci1 said:
no...that is a creamsicle you are thinking of. Candy canes are supposed to be 'pure' corn snakes selectively bred to have either orange or red saddles on the whitest background possible.

oops i got confused, sorry every one :)

gardenmum, that okeetee looks awesome, make sure you post pictures of it as it gets old, i would love to see how the colours end up

EDIT: omg, joe, quasimodo is a locality okeetee, i never would have imagined! i like his look though, more that lots of other morphs

KRIZ said:
EDIT: omg, joe, quasimodo is a locality okeetee, i never would have imagined! i like his look though, more that lots of other morphs

LOL. No, Quasimodo is just a normal. My post was a joke.

Ok I am new here and also a new snake (Okeetee) owner.Since reading these post I just want to know if the store owner told me true.Is my baby a Okeetee or something else?I love her no mater what but I am new to this and want to call her what she is.So let me know one way or another.Here are some pictures of her.She is 3 months old......Thanks Anna

Attachments

• Alice 2.jpg
    Alice 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 25
  • snake pictures 002.jpg
    snake pictures 002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 25
  • snake pictures 004.jpg
    snake pictures 004.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 25
That appears to be an Okeetee. Truely, an Okeetee is any speciman that comes from the Okeetee Region, or that bears the hallmark traits of the majority of those regional snakes...larger than average, orange peel to burnt orange background, with red to russet saddles, bodered in a distiguishing black. They also have checkered belly's.

I hope this didn't offend anyone.

Semper Fi

Back