• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my corns

I bought my corn snakes from my herpetological society about a year ago. They are a male and female both around 7 years old. One is a rescued unwanted snake and the other was a pet. They were put together about 3 years ago and have cohabited ever since. They are of similar size. I personally would not dream of seperating them, they spend their whole time curled up together. They do produce successful young, but I don't see that as a problem. Also I certainly wouldn't add another one.
This bit people may not like. At my Herp Society there is at least one person who houses several corn snakes together. The reason for this is they are all unwanted pets that people don't want, and have been rescued by the society. They do produce eggs ,obviously and he destroys them. Not very nice and probably not very popular on this site. BUT, with so many people breeding corns for certain colours and varieties there are a lot of left over snakes that people don't really want. If someone produces 50 hatchlings in a year and 10 are the colour they want, where do the other 40 go ? A lot end up in a rescue center.
Sorry for going on.

All these unwanted corns and you put a male and female together and let them breed producing more corns. I'm sorry I don't get it, why add to the over population?

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with cohabing. For example my snakes were cohabed and they mated and the female was way to small. Thankfully everything went smoothly. Some times corns will eat eachother, also if one is having problems digesting it is nearly impossible to tell when they are housed together. It's also a bit stressful for them to have another snake always with them. I'm sure there is more reasons that I am missing which I'm sure are covered on this site some where.

That is a very valid point, and if they hadn't come as a pair I wouldn't have put them together. But when they've been together so long I wouldn't seperate them. I'm in a fortunate position at the moment where it will be no problem to find homes for them. If that changes then maybe I will have to think again.

:-offtopic
BUT, with so many people breeding corns for certain colours and varieties there are a lot of left over snakes that people don't really want. If someone produces 50 hatchlings in a year and 10 are the colour they want, where do the other 40 go ? A lot end up in a rescue center.
Sorry for going on.

That is not true, I rescued all kinds of reptiles also so I know how many reptiles get abandoned, but that has nothing to do with breeders. The 40 that they breeders don't want either get sold because to other breeders because they have good hets or the go to wholesale. It is not the breeders fault that people are irresponsible and abandon their animals because they didn't research first.

And as for your friend if he was a good rescuer he would seperate them all, or atleast seperate the males and females.

That is a very valid point, and if they hadn't come as a pair I wouldn't have put them together. But when they've been together so long I wouldn't seperate them. QUOTE]

I understand your point there mine where housed together their entire lives but this year they started mating and the female is way to small. She is about a foot smaller then the male and much lighter. Then after mating they started showing signs of aggression towards eachother. So I seperated them and they seem much happier.

and if you realize the reason the snakes are always together is because one is dominant over the other..... thats the reason they *cuddle* one snake is letting the other snake know "hey im here this is my area you can live here if you want but if u mess up im going to kill you eat you or move you out" ...... Read a book cuz you sound really ignorant saying omg they seem fine curled up together...

Just my 2 cents, but I think it is much healtier for a snake to be with another in a 90 gal cage than to live alone in a shoe box.... just my opinion. Personaly i found it cruel when I see people housing there snakes in those small box. Snakes also like to explore at night and they also need exercice like every living creature for their muscle tone and just do something else than sleeping, and nobody seems to worry about that. There is good and bad on both way and anyway if we would really want them to be happy, I think we would leave them to the wild where they belong.

It is not necessary to make a criminal trial everytime someone is housing two corns together...

Back