• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my new baby!

GL6570

after much reading i finally decided to pick a beautiful corn snake. im so excited! i want to take her out so bad.. shes a 5 footer but i have yet to weigh her. the last owners feed her 2 weeks ago so they said that i should feed her today. i know that she'll need to settle before i do anything so im guessing waiting another week shouldn't hurt right? im not sure what color morph she is but i'll post pictures soon.

one question about feeding.. i read that you should leave the snake alone for 2-3 days after feeding. but immediately after feeding its ok to pick her up and put her back in her terrarium right? sorry if that sounds stupid but i never understood to what extent "leaving the snake alone" meant.

ahhhh.. this week needs to go by faster!

Your right feed her and then place her back in her home and then leave her alone... I learned everything I know by asking questions... There is never a stupid question... Everyone here seems very nice and willing to help... Congrats on your new baby...

Well congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures.
Aside from moving the snake back to its tank, leaving it alone means to just stay away from the tank and snake. unless you need to change the water.

thanks! she seems to be settling in pretty well. she sits out in plain sight quite often and she always has her head out. she seems to focus on me a lot when im walking around my room. shes very curious:D

pictures!

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Congratulations on your beautiful snake! Be very careful, it's VERY addictive. :devil01:

By the way, it's fine to pick her up after feeding to put her back in her viv. :)

thanks everyone! :D

hopefully this won't be as addicting as reef-keeping. i've been into that for almost 6 years! i finally sold everything because nursing school was taking up all my time :cry:

i hope i dont get too crazy about this one! FINALLY, a pet i can hold and touch!:poke:(well.. we do have a dog, but still.) the only contact i got from my fish was when they would bite me when my hand was in the tank.

thanks everyone! :D

FINALLY, a pet i can hold and touch!:poke:(well.. we do have a dog, but still.) the only contact i got from my fish was when they would bite me when my hand was in the tank.

:rofl: Lol, I know how that feels. That's what I do for a job, take care of fish, LOTS of fish and a baby sharky(my new addition).

Your snake is very beautiful congrats on you new addition.

I was just asking because there happened to be a big snow female advertised in the Recycler around your neck of the woods..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

ohh.. yeah, i didn't really know what to think of that reply. i just thought it was really random of you. i wish i knew about the snow, but i don't really use the recycler. i'm more a craigslist person.

oh yeah.. speaking of my neck of the woods. are their any good places to get live feeder mice or any good reptile shops around here? i tried looking some up but couldn't find any.

i looked at petco and they sell their feeders for $3.00 each. isn't that a little much?

oh yeah.. speaking of my neck of the woods. are their any good places to get live feeder mice or any good reptile shops around here? i tried looking some up but couldn't find any.

i looked at petco and they sell their feeders for $3.00 each. isn't that a little much?

Yes - my local pet store charges $1.75 and they are high.
Try to find a frozen supplier, there's a good chance she will take thawed frozen rodents and they are a usually a LOT cheaper than live.

Yes - my local pet store charges $1.75 and they are high.
Try to find a frozen supplier, there's a good chance she will take thawed frozen rodents and they are a usually a LOT cheaper than live.

wow, i guess they're trying to stop people from buying them for food with that $3.00 price tag. well it worked for me! i sure won't be buying any mice from them. i'll look into getting some frozen ones if i can't find a good place to buy live feeders. i dont know, live just seems so much more convenient. less prep and little to no clean up just seems more appealing to me.

ugghhh.. this forum doesn't have an edit option? now im going to feel dumb when i dont catch a misspelling the first time around:uhoh:

To be honest, I find f/t to be much easier. The only cleanup is tossing the baggie you thawed it in, and it's safer for the snake. No chance of being bitten by their food if they're not interested/miss the strike/etc.

The real convenience of frozen - you can buy a month (or even several) at a time, thus eliminating the need for frequent pet store visits. Furthermore, if the snake doesn't feel like eating - you don't have a live mouse that you now have to house until the snake is hungry.

Back