• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my new little ones :)

kissez

hey all, first time snake owner here and loving it :) got a male and female about two months ago. now they are inseperable lol the creamsicle is bonnie and the other is clyde who i believe is a regular. (please correct me if im wrong) ive learned so much from this website already and have seen so many amazing pics i had to put a couple up and show them off... i am by no means a photographer so i apologize if you cant see the patterns on them very well, did what i could with the cell phone lol i was also wondering if anyone knows if it is normal for them to spend so much time together, most of my research has said they only do it for warmth or if they have the same hide/temp preferences but mine are always together. i mean always lol even if they're both stuffed after a feed they still stay together curled up on top or right alongside the other. if one moves, so does the other within about ten minutes, its so weird... of course i was hoping they would be fond of each other but wasnt expecting this lol any info would be much appreciated :)

~brit

Attachments

• rsz_07062011037.jpg
    rsz_07062011037.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 110
  • rsz_07102011052.jpg
    rsz_07102011052.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 111
  • rsz_07102011055.jpg
    rsz_07102011055.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 109
  • rsz_07102011067.jpg
    rsz_07102011067.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 109
  • rsz_07102011068.jpg
    rsz_07102011068.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 111
more.....

couple more pics of them together...

Attachments

• rsz_07082011040.jpg
    rsz_07082011040.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 110
  • rsz_07112011071.jpg
    rsz_07112011071.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 108
If you got them from the same place, the 'normal' is most likely a rootbeer.

It is still a good idea to separate.

If one regurges a few days after they eat, how will you tell which one?
If you notice an unusual/odd poo, how will you tell which snake did it?
If one gets sick, how are you going to keep the other from getting ill?
How do you plan on preventing them form breeding when the female is yet to be at a good physiological point to handle producing eggs?
What are you going to do if one decides that the other is a tasty snack?

they have always been kept together and have been doing fine. i understand the concern but i have already been over all of these things with the woman who owns the reptile shop where i purchased them. i will be separating them but as the male is only about six months and the female is not even a year its not a problem yet. i keep them apart for an hour after each feeding so they dont smell mice on each other. there are always going to be if's... and everyone is always going to have different opinions...appreciate the input but i trust the woman i got them from until proven otherwise.

im just saying but i can still be a problem right now.IMO the worst co-habbing problems happen in these types of situations.Snakes are NOT social animals, the only time they come together in the wild is for mating and hibernating together.Both of which is essential if we want snakes to live in the wild, yours are most likely competing for space.
I know for a fact that I cant make you separate them but i can only very strongly urge you to.

Nice snakes too:)

i understand it can be a problem, and i understand they are solitary animals in the wild, but they have more than enough hides and if they wished to get away from each other then they are more than able, yet they remain together. many people have different views. they both eat and defacate properly and are showing no signs of stress. i keep a very careful eye on them and am home most of the day to peek in on them. believe me, i dont want either of them to get hurt, but they have been cage mates for two months and they are constantly together. i would understand moving them if they were showing signs of stress, and will end up moving them to seperate enclosures before they are able to breed, but i dont see the point in moving them right now when they seem to enjoy each others company. thx for the advice though.

So you trust a woman from a pet shop, who would love to be able to get you to buy another animal, over people like Kathy Love who *literally* wrote the book on corn snake care?

Odd.

Cornsnakes can and do breed at under a year of age. We (this site) have several cases of unplanned pregnancies already this year. Your female can DIE if she becomes gravid before she is physically mature enough. Even if she doesn't, the chances of egg-binding or prolapse are greatly increased. It is extremely careless to cohabitate.

yes i do trust her, she has been in the business for over 25 years, so yea and ive known her for pretty much my whole life. you cant think what you want but being rude and calling me careless isn't going to get you anywhere. i understand the risks, and did my research.

It isn't an insult, it's a fact. The *only* benefit is to you and your wallet. To purposefully, and knowingly, place your snakes into a situation in which harm could befall them, or you are unable to determine which animal is ill IS careless. Not as careless as the people who get another puppy after their first one dies of parvo, but along that same line.

I will share my experience with cohabbing. I have had snakes off and on most of my life. Had been out of it for awhile and decided I wanted corn snakes. Bought a male Anery and female Normal motley from a "breeder". They were both 5 months old. The were kept together since birth. The male was huge in comparison to the female and I was told they would be fine together. Even asked advice from my local pet shop that had a snake "expert" working there. The "expert" said they would be fine in the same viv. My snakes were always together also, they ate well, shed etc. for about 2 months. The female just wasn't growing. I found her dead in the viv one morning and she looked like she had been regurged or mashed. Either way she was dead, and I wish I could go back and change the way I first did things. I can't but I sure learned a lesson. Never will I cohab snakes again, no matter what age!!! My Anery, will be a year old in Sept., now weighs 93 grams and is gorgeous, I miss my little Motley, still feel horrible about her demise, I could have avoided it.

I had a snake go on a 6 week hunger strike and develop feeding problems that lasted for a year due to cohabbing. That is a fact, not an opinion.

My snake died while cohabbing. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.

But your snake could have died from being eaten and then regurged just as easily living alone! Oh wait...

Just so we're clear.

Reasons not to cohab:
Stressful to the snakes; snakes are solitary
Too-young unplanned clutch may cause death of female
Can't tell which snake is sick
Can't do quarantine
One may eat the other, one will die, the other may die

Reasons cohabitation is beneficial:
Wait- there aren't any.

i say again, you have your opinions and i have mine. im not gonna sit here and argue with you about it. pointless really. i know the risks, im not dense but im going to trust the woman ive known all my life who obviously knows what she's talking about rather than someone on the internet. sorry but any further discussions on this are done. im not moving them. you can call me whatever you want. if they were showing signs of stress or agitation i would, but they arent so end of discussion.

Someone should tell Kathy Love she doesn't know what she's talking about when it comes to cohabbing! She's only been doing this for well over 30 years at least, right? She's only one of the best known breeders and the matriarch of the corn snake community, right?

I am another one in the "dead snake from cohabbing" club.
Sorry, but it really does not matter how long your breeder friend has been breeding or how long you have known her.
The fact is, our snakes are dead from being co habbed and yours could end up dead too.
Keeping solitary animals together, forcing them to share a living space, in my opinion is cruel. There is no benefit for the snakes from doing this. Even if they show no signs of stress, there is stress you can't see. And even if it does not kill them outright there is a real good chance that their livespans will be shorter from this. So why are you doing it?

They are your animals, and in the end you will do as you wish. But I have no use for someone who hurts their animals for no good reason.....

i say again, you have your opinions and i have mine. im not gonna sit here and argue with you about it. pointless really. i know the risks, im not dense but im going to trust the woman ive known all my life who obviously knows what she's talking about rather than someone on the internet. sorry but any further discussions on this are done. im not moving them. you can call me whatever you want. if they were showing signs of stress or agitation i would, but they arent so end of discussion.

It is not my opinion that my Kelsey is dead.
It is a sad fact that I live with every single day.
You are trusting the wrong people.

Funny thing, if they lived alone there would be NO risks!!

Another thing to consider is WHO you are talking to on the internet. This site has people who have actually kept snakes even longer than your friend, people who have written books, people who have their PHDs on reptile keeping and people who have discovered all new genetics in cornsnakes that were unheard of just a few years ago!! Those are the kinds of people whose ideas you are dismissing over someone that you have known for a long time, but who in my opinion really is not much of a keeper.....

You know there are risks, yet you are choosing to take a chance even if it means you could end up losing one, or both of your snakes, ultimately.

There are some of the top corn snake breeders in the world on this forum.

I recommend you pick up Kathy & Bill Love's book on Corn Snakes. Kathy, who is on this forum, is one of the absolute best people to get information on care of Corn snakes.

Back