• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my new little ones :)

i say again, you have your opinions and i have mine. im not gonna sit here and argue with you about it. pointless really. i know the risks, im not dense but im going to trust the woman ive known all my life who obviously knows what she's talking about rather than someone on the internet. sorry but any further discussions on this are done. im not moving them. you can call me whatever you want. if they were showing signs of stress or agitation i would, but they arent so end of discussion.

This post doesn't even make sense.

1) There's a large difference between facts (which people HAVE experienced on a multitude of occasions) and opinions. I'm an engineer so this irritates me, especially when followed by "I'm not dense".

2) If you know it's an issue and actually care about your animals, and people were obviously disturbed by this then you would make enough of an effort to go do some research OTHER than listening to ONLY 1 person? Such as purchasing books, reading through old experience threads....

3) Lastly, 'trusting' someone on the internet? If there's no drawback to separating them, why do you need to trust anyone in the first place. Why is trust even an issue? That doesn't make any sense.

This thread hurts my head.

you people are rude. some of your snakes died from co-habitating, but there are plenty of other people out there who have different opinions on this matter and who have had different experiences. if i choose to keep them together that is my choice for they are my pets. period. sitting here telling me im a bad and careless pet owner isn't going to phase me because i know my snakes are well taken care of. they were in different tanks for the first two days after i got them and they sat right up against the glass next to each other so i put them back together. i believe they enjoy each others company and if you think im wrong fine, but its not alright to say im mistreating them. a family friend of mine also has had two he has kept together for almost twenty years and has had no problem. i prefer to go with my experience.

You're going to do what you want to do, & that is your choice. It isn't a problem, until it is....but, once it is a problem, you can never go back & fix it.
If you're willing to take that risk, that's your choice to do so.

You came in here, saying you did read up on it, & that you knew there were risks, yet you got defensive when people here backed that up, saying that cohabbing can be very bad for the snakes, & listed facts, giving situations where snakes have died from it.

I can promise you that the replies on here are soley based on the concern for the animals.

you people are rude. some of your snakes died from co-habitating, but there are plenty of other people out there who have different opinions on this matter and who have had different experiences. if i choose to keep them together that is my choice for they are my pets. period. sitting here telling me im a bad and careless pet owner isn't going to phase me because i know my snakes are well taken care of. they were in different tanks for the first two days after i got them and they sat right up against the glass next to each other so i put them back together. i believe they enjoy each others company and if you think im wrong fine, but its not alright to say im mistreating them. a family friend of mine also has had two he has kept together for almost twenty years and has had no problem. i prefer to go with my experience.

I am sorry that you think we are rude, but honesty we LOVE snakes here and deeply and truly care about their welfare. Even if what we say hurts your feelings, please believe that we do care about your animals.
And please ask yourself one question..please...ask yourself how many snakes have died as a direct result from being co habbed, and how many have died from NOT being co habbed. Hon, your snakes are not together because they like each other or need company. They are competing for resources. Plain and simple.
And I really do think that you are mistreating them and being cruel to them. You are putting them in danger for no good reason.

What would you say about someone who puts a baby in a car without a carseat?

Same thing, really.

Please ask yourself, what will you do if one or both of your snakes die because of what you are doing?
It is something that you can't fix or take back once it happens.

I can tell you that it is the most horrible things you can imagine.

Why is it something that you want to risk?

I've seen snakes successfully co-habbed too, but I would honestly be concerned for the welfare of the female, if they are indeed opposite sex.
The reason being: Male snakes can be pushy, they can force the female to mate when she doesn't want to and this can cause her to produce a clutch when she wouldn't otherwise do so. This can be deadly for her, especially if she's too small. An egg can get stuck and kill her, or her body simply will not have the resources to handle it.
THIS concerns me more than anything.

No one is being rude, many of these have been a part of this forum for years upon years.. how many cases like this do you think they've witnessed? This debate is continuous and more often then not ends up with a hurt or dead snake, or an expensive vet visit.

I really don't see anyone being rude, just telling you the facts about cohabing. I really don't care if the lady has 50 years in business she is bad wrong on this one. There is way more years of knowledge on here from very knowing and caring people. But I guess it won't sink into your head until one has eaten the other or they both get sick and die. I may do a lot of things the old way but cohabbing just leads to problems. If one gets sick it will pass it onto the other. The only real time in nature that snakes congregate together is hibernation dens in the winter.
I do wish you the best with your animals but I really dread reading another my snake died thread because the owner didn't want to take sound advice and do what is best for their snakes.

I agree that they are already competing for resources and that you are viewing it wrong. They don't like each other, they like those spots (the hides, that corner of the viv, etc).

Even if cohabitation is a huge debate, another fact (not debate) is housing opposite sexes together (in several different animals) leads to the female getting pregnant way to early. This is harmful and deadly to your female!

You also stated that any info would be appreciated. That is exactly what people are doing. They are giving you advice and information. It's not their fault, that you don't like what you are hearing.

-Hilly

OK well because words can not phase you let me show you some images i found in a few seconds on google
attachment.php
That snake ate its partner after being co-habbed
images
Same thing
CannibalCornsnake.jpg
Guess what same thing
images
Same thing
cannibal%20corn%20hatchling.JPG
Same thing...
images
Same thing but the owner was able to pull the eaten snake out.

And just in case I'll quote an artical.
Snakes Are Solitary Animals
People tend to project human emotions and needs onto their pets. Some pets just can not be housed together yet their owners force them to live with others and compete constantly for optimum spaces and circumstances. This puts the snake in a constant state of stress and can lead to sick snakes. It can also lead to over bred females developing "hips" sometimes refered to as the "Baby Got Back" syndrome. This is caused by the female trying to store fat for the next clutch of eggs. Add that to another common problem, over feeding, and you have a snake in dire straights. An overweight female can become eggbound and die. As can an overly stressed female.

Formerly Co-habbed snakes
4158637_f260.jpg

Co-habbing snakes can cause a lot of problems and in some species it can end with one being eaten by the other.
Source: Former owner
Co-habbing can result in canibalism
Another issue with co-habbing is canibalism. Many kinds of snakes when housed with others will eat their cage mates. This is not good. The most common snakes that this occurs with are king snakes, however I see a lot of people co-habbing Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes. Not a good idea, the BP could crush the corn, and the BP needs higher temperatures than a corn snake, so its just not a good idea to mix species. A big cause of canibalism is co-habbed animals being fed in the cage. What usually happens is that both animals go for the same feeder and the first to reach the other keeps swallowing and ends up eating it's cage mate. No one wants to find one pet swollen from swallowing the other. So please, please do not keep two snakes in one cage.
And link a new thread here.http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114151&highlight=co-habbing
Another
Everything above this is not mine all copy-write belongs to original owner/creator

Now please if you think so much that co-habbing is fine then please get off our website.I may not of been here long(heck I was 4 when this place was made)but I think I am allowed to say this.
Thanks for letting me vent(to many co-habbing threads:nope:)

Alright. I promised myself I would not be doing this again, because there are way too many people who claim they want to learn, but obviously don't....

Take this as you want it.

1) The snakes are competeing for those areas in the tank.

2) It is Dangerous to keep a male and female together, due to unwanted eggs, and the possibility of accidentally killing your female because she is not ready to bare eggs.

3) The Top minds in the corn snake community, well, the snake keeping community, all state that cohabing is dangerous. But we can all see that you would rather listen to a family friend, than the people who started the trade.

You have been here since July 7th, I understand that you can do research elsewhere, but why on earth would you not research the ideals of the community that you are posting in, before posting?
I am one of those that Cohabitated my snakes, on sand before coming here, I had people jump all over my husbandry, but you know what? I took their advice and ran with it.
Instead of listening to the guy at the store, where I purchased my snakes. Who, by the way, knows nothing of proper animal husbandry. And, he has owned a pet store for roughly 25 years also... You would think he would know what he is saying... Sadly, owning a store has nothing to do with knowledge of the animal being sold. Oh, and I have talked to him about his husbandry.... He does not appreciate advice either.

So, my advice to you would be,

Go do some real research, instead of listening to the friend and lady who sold you the snakes. Learn from other peoples mistakes. And for the love of the snakes that you claim you have, separate them before you end up killing them.

Oh, if you want to see more pictures. Go to my albums... There is a whole album dedicated to this subject. None of the pictures are mine, but they are all from a Google search...

Now please if you think so much that co-habbing is fine then please get off our website.I may not of been here long(heck I was 4 when this place was made)but I think I am allowed to say this.
Thanks for letting me vent(to many co-habbing threads:nope:)

While I too, am frustrated with the OP for asking for opinions, then arguing with facts, I don't think it's our place to tell someone to "get off our site" for disagreeing with us. The OP is taking a big risk by cohabbing, but it is her choice to do so. She's the one who will have to deal with the problem if/when it arrises.

Personally, I actually hope the OP stays, & starts reading more, various threads, from what experienced keepers have to say, & learns from them.

Everyone here was new at one point. Everyone here has made mistakes, some that have been detrimental to the animals.

How many people have come here with it stuck in their head that *they* are right, & the rest are wrong, but in time, learn, & become a better owner in time...?

While I too, am frustrated with the OP for asking for opinions, then arguing with facts, I don't think it's our place to tell someone to "get off our site" for disagreeing with us. The OP is taking a big risk by cohabbing, but it is her choice to do so. She's the one who will have to deal with the problem if/when it arrises.

Personally, I actually hope the OP stays, & starts reading more, various threads, from what experienced keepers have to say, & learns from them.

Everyone here was new at one point. Everyone here has made mistakes, some that have been detrimental to the animals.

How many people have come here with it stuck in their head that *they* are right, & the rest are wrong, but in time, learn, & become a better owner in time...?
Ok I guess I did take it to far there and am truly sorry for actions.

they have always been kept together and have been doing fine. i understand the concern but i have already been over all of these things with the woman who owns the reptile shop where i purchased them. i will be separating them but as the male is only about six months and the female is not even a year its not a problem yet. i keep them apart for an hour after each feeding so they dont smell mice on each other. there are always going to be if's... and everyone is always going to have different opinions...appreciate the input but i trust the woman i got them from until proven otherwise.

Late to the party but read the whole thread.
My added input putting to corn snakes together and saying not a problem yet for breeding is like putting two teenagers in a motel room by themselves and saying 'oh they are too young/smart/safe/... to have sex.

Back